Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,130 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting L.A next month from Michigan and I want to know where I can shop in L.A where I won't BLOW my entire budget on 1 shopping trip because there is other things I want to do in L.A since ill be there for about a week. Im going on 18 so I would like to go somewhere where they have plenty of selection for teens but not for crazy prices. I did that at this mall in Detroit, Somerset Collection (which is like a indoor rodeo drive) and ended up BROKE. So can anyone who's very filmier with shopping in L.A. help me out?
and also if any of you have any other tips on places I should see or do while in the area feel free to tell me thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,236,297 times
I recommend 3rd Street Promenade/Santa Monica Place in Santa Monica. It's outdoors, has tons of stores and it's blocks from Santa Monica Pier and beach.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
I will be visiting L.A next month from Michigan and I want to know where I can shop in L.A where I won't BLOW my entire budget on 1 shopping trip because there is other things I want to do in L.A since ill be there for about a week. Im going on 18 so I would like to go somewhere where they have plenty of selection for teens but not for crazy prices. I did that at this mall in Detroit, Somerset Collection (which is like a indoor rodeo drive) and ended up BROKE. So can anyone who's very filmier with shopping in L.A. help me out?
and also if any of you have any other tips on places I should see or do while in the area feel free to tell me thanks.
I think you should head directly to Santee Alley in the Fashion district of Downtown LA. You'll find all the trendy clothes and accessories that's sold on Melrose and other places but without the mark-up. Here's their website:

Welcome to Santee Alley

LA Fashion District

This is Downtown so expect some grittiness, although no real danger. If you have any urban sensibilities, you'll have no problems.

I know that there are several outlet malls but they're usually farther out from the city basin.

For things to do, there are numerous threads. Here are a couple to get you started:

What to do while visiting LA?

Suggested Things to do for a 16/21 year old in LA- can they have soft drinks in bars?

If you list specific interests, then we can give you customized suggestions.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,799 times
They aren't really your standard malls, but I love the indoor swap meets in Chinatown (they have them in Lincoln Heights, Highland Park, etc but they don't tend to sell luggage, perfume, etc.) The deals are pretty amazing and you certainly get a feel for the area. It's a largely urban gig, versus the suburban mall experience. And yes, the Alley is pretty cool as well, not to mention the other specialty stores in the District.

You can search the stores by what they sell at the link provided by kool aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I think you should head directly to Santee Alley in the Fashion district of Downtown LA. You'll find all the trendy clothes and accessories that's sold on Melrose and other places but without the mark-up. Here's their website:

Welcome to Santee Alley

LA Fashion District

This is Downtown so expect some grittiness, although no real danger. If you have any urban sensibilities, you'll have no problems.

I know that there are several outlet malls but they're usually farther out from the city basin.

For things to do, there are numerous threads. Here are a couple to get you started:

Suggested Things to do for a 16/21 year old in LA- can they have soft drinks in bars?

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

Welcome to Santee Alley

LA Fashion District

Good luck.
Thanks I'll check out the website and yes im from Detroit and visit Chicago every once in a while so im sure the grittiness won't surprise me or my family I think every large city has to have it somewhere.

And we won't actually be staying in the city we will be visiting the city but we will be staying at Dolphin's Cove Resort, 465 W. Orangewood Avenue (Harbor Blvd & Orangewood Avenue), Anaheim, CA im assuming Anaheim is a suburb of LA or something but it's near Disneyland and down the street from Santa Ana Freeway so I could probably get places quickly since were near the freeway.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Thanks I'll check out the website and yes im from Detroit and visit Chicago every once in a while so im sure the grittiness won't surprise me or my family I think every large city has to have it somewhere.

And we won't actually be staying in the city we will be visiting the city but we will be staying at Dolphin's Cove Resort, 465 W. Orangewood Avenue (Harbor Blvd & Orangewood Avenue), Anaheim, CA im assuming Anaheim is a suburb of LA or something but it's near Disneyland and down the street from Santa Ana Freeway so I could probably get places quickly since were near the freeway.
Just so you know, Los Angeles is approximately 26 or so miles from Los Angeles ... Anaheim isn't a suburb of LA but rather one of the urban centers in Orange County. If you are driving, just allow time for traffic up the 5, especially once you get into LA county as the freeway narrows.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Just so you know, Los Angeles is approximately 26 or so miles from Los Angeles ... Anaheim isn't a suburb of LA but rather one of the urban centers in Orange County. If you are driving, just allow time for traffic up the 5, especially once you get into LA county as the freeway narrows.
So the freeway narrows BEFORE it goes into the city??? wow. Traffic going into the city must be horrible during rush hour.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:02 PM

19 posts, read 47,626 times
LOL @ affordable in LA or California period ! LOL

Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 PM

6 posts, read 35,822 times
Quote:
So the freeway narrows BEFORE it goes into the city??? wow. Traffic going into the city must be horrible during rush hour.

Yup, thank you city engineers

Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
if the OC fair is wrapped up before you visit, I'd check out the swap meet at the fairgrounds (Orange county Market Place Unique Swap Meet In California -Biggest Market place in Costa Mesa California for Shopping Food, Fun, Market place in Orange County). this swap meet is huge and can easily be combined with a day at newport beach which is only a few miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles