Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:59 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times

Advertisements

Why in the world did LA let Hollywood get so run down. This an iconic place and a place SoCal should be proud of restoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:26 AM

1,800 posts, read 3,913,657 times
It's always been kind of seedy.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:12 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Why in the world did LA let Hollywood get so run down. This an iconic place and a place SoCal should be proud of restoring.
actually, hollywood is in better shape than it was 20-30 years ago. there are still some grimy/sketchy streets but overall, it's definitely on the upswing, as several areas of the neighborhood have noticeably gentrified.

btw, am i the only one who's noticed that you enjoy creating threads in the los angeles forum that diss LA and/or compare it unfavorably against somewhere in texas? here are a few of your previous gems:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18146510-post1.html
"LA housing stock is over valued and ugly compared to the homes in Houston but LA has the beach."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17955657-post10.html
"Houston has better neighborhoods than Los Angeles, just as diverse and the roads are a lot better."

Broadway and Central Ave.
(regarding the intersection of Broadway and Central Ave):
"Why is the area around these streets so ugly. There must be a lot of history there. Except for some designated areas, LA is really a ugly city, what happen to all the glamour."
"Not an axe to grind but going south on Central and Broadway from downtown is ugly. I brought some German friends with me and they were appaleed around that area."
"No agenda, but I guess everyone believes all this Hollywood bs and think LA is the cat's meow. Once they go there it is very disappointing."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14182380-post37.html
"LA is a type of city that you can pay $30 for a crappy meal in a luxury restaurant"

LA and Atlanta
"Is LA trying to be the Atlanta of the west coast"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/4567077-post7.html
"So LA has lost its glamour. I guess Houston is the new LA. The city of LA should police substation in Inglewood and oher gang infested areas and clean up that mess, Call in the national guard if necessary"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17083632-post22.html
"Even mighty LA must respect the wealth of Houston and DFW but the two latter areas do not overprice the real estate there."

and finally, here's one where i think you were genuinely trying to be funny:

Here is what Austin, Texas think of LA and Cali
You Know You're In California if...

You make over $250,000 a year and still can't afford a house.
The fastest part of your commute is going down your driveway.
The high school quarterback calls a time-out to answer his cell phone.
You've been to a baby shower for an infant who has two mothers and a sperm donor.
You live an hour away from Mountains but can't see them because of the smog.
Your car insurance costs as much as your house payment.
Your hairdresser is straight, your plumber is gay, and your Mary Kay rep is a guy in drag.
It's sprinkling out, and there's a report on every news channel about "THE STORM!"
And finally, a question: Q. How many Californians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A. None. Californians cannot afford to turn on the lights.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:27 AM

I can think of a million reasons why LA is better than or similar to Houston to address the OP.

I've spent time in Houston. The roads and freeways in LA are in just as good of shape as in Houston. People seem to forget the entire East side of Houston is one giant farm and has more problems indicative of the pre 1950s than most of LA ever will.

I'm surprised that people keep trying to compare Houston to LA. There are very little similarities between them other than the multiple downtown aspect. Yes, there is a lot of ethnic diversity in Houston, but in very small numbers compared to LA, even as a percentage. Other than that, I don't really see a comparison.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
What? Another Texas troll in the Calif fora? Say it ain't so Joe. Some of those people are obsessed with us. I liken it to the annoying little brother who feels obligated to prove himself because he's constantly in his big brother's shadow. Much like the US/Canada relationship.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:50 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
The Canadians were all on your side up until that last part

Old 04-22-2011, 10:51 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Quote:
And finally, a question: Q. How many Californians does it take to screw in a light bulb?
Given the tens of billions of dollars stolen by Enron from California's state coffers, Texans in particular should assiduously avoid energy jokes.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Hey, I am thinking about relocating there and some of these post are not mine. Sure LA may not have the wealth of Houston but I really like the vibe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
actually, hollywood is in better shape than it was 20-30 years ago. there are still some grimy/sketchy streets but overall, it's definitely on the upswing, as several areas of the neighborhood have noticeably gentrified.

btw, am i the only one who's noticed that you enjoy creating threads in the los angeles forum that diss LA and/or compare it unfavorably against somewhere in texas? here are a few of your previous gems:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/18146510-post1.html
"LA housing stock is over valued and ugly compared to the homes in Houston but LA has the beach."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17955657-post10.html
"Houston has better neighborhoods than Los Angeles, just as diverse and the roads are a lot better."

Broadway and Central Ave.
(regarding the intersection of Broadway and Central Ave):
"Why is the area around these streets so ugly. There must be a lot of history there. Except for some designated areas, LA is really a ugly city, what happen to all the glamour."
"Not an axe to grind but going south on Central and Broadway from downtown is ugly. I brought some German friends with me and they were appaleed around that area."
"No agenda, but I guess everyone believes all this Hollywood bs and think LA is the cat's meow. Once they go there it is very disappointing."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/14182380-post37.html
"LA is a type of city that you can pay $30 for a crappy meal in a luxury restaurant"

LA and Atlanta
"Is LA trying to be the Atlanta of the west coast"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/4567077-post7.html
"So LA has lost its glamour. I guess Houston is the new LA. The city of LA should police substation in Inglewood and oher gang infested areas and clean up that mess, Call in the national guard if necessary"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17083632-post22.html
"Even mighty LA must respect the wealth of Houston and DFW but the two latter areas do not overprice the real estate there."

and finally, here's one where i think you were genuinely trying to be funny:

Here is what Austin, Texas think of LA and Cali
You Know You're In California if...

You make over $250,000 a year and still can't afford a house.
The fastest part of your commute is going down your driveway.
The high school quarterback calls a time-out to answer his cell phone.
You've been to a baby shower for an infant who has two mothers and a sperm donor.
You live an hour away from Mountains but can't see them because of the smog.
Your car insurance costs as much as your house payment.
Your hairdresser is straight, your plumber is gay, and your Mary Kay rep is a guy in drag.
It's sprinkling out, and there's a report on every news channel about "THE STORM!"

Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM

LA definitely has just as much wealth as Houston. There are way more millionaires in LA than in Houston. The average home price is way higher in LA than Houston. Parts of Houston resemble a third world country (East Side). The reason LA has much lower numbers is because it is often the first stop for recently arrived immigrants who come here with nothing to make a better life for themselves.

That being said, if you want to relocate to LA, there are dozens more neighborhoods than Hollywood. Hollywood itself is about 20 sq. miles with over 200K people. Within that framework, there are tons of mini neighborhoods within Hollywood.

The two biggest questions to ask yourself are: how long are you willing to commute to work and how much are you willing to spend on rent. What are your parameters for that?

I do caution that Hollywood the neighborhood is only a small part of the Hollywood scene. West Hollywood, Westwood, Bel Air, Brentwood, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica are where the real Hollywood scene locates itself for nightlife, with some forays into Hollywood and Vine (actual Hollywood).

Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Hollywood is in WAY better shape than it was 5, 10, 15 years ago. Hollywood and Highland development seemed like the catalyst, followed by Hollywood and Vine development. Now all the area in between is cleaning up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles