Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,964,031 times

Advertisements

That sounds bad Turco Loco. What area of Weho do you live in? I don't think my neighbors are that bad; it's just the traffic and people mowing the lawn with a vacuum cleaner type apparatus.

I assumed ALL helicopters were "Ghetto Birds", I didn't know that name was only used for police helicopters that shine a bright line down on people on the run. I just like to call all helicopters Ghetto Birds now because I like the name.

I've been sleeping ok; the noise doesn't wake me when I'm sleeping. It only bugs me when I'm awake but once I'm dead asleep I don't hear anything.

What are the residential streets like in Studio City ? Are they used like main roads like in Weho? What about Santa Monica or Beverly Hills?

I actually kind of am fascinated by Lindsay Lohan and use to follow her court case from OC on TMZ and such. I wouldn't mind seeing her but I'm not thrilled about 10 ghetto birds circling around me for her sake.

Apparently you can live in an upscale condo in Weho and still deal with loud neighbors
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...eighbors_1.php

He lives right on Fountain too; that's right by my house.

Last edited by jackie100; 10-19-2011 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:17 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,982,693 times
I once lived on the periphery of the downtown of a mid-sized city. Thin windows, 100 year-old house. Weekends sounded like World War 3.

If a window AC is possible, get one. If it's not, get two fans, and aim them away from you if you don't want the cool air on you. I still do this to drown out the outside noise where I live now (I am a day sleeper, and I sleep between an interstate and our condo complex's main road ).

Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 AM

39 posts, read 99,806 times
Default You think YOU'VE got it bad?

I live in a mid-sized apartment complex on the bottom floor with a patio that opens to a courtyard. Worse yet, my apartment is right next door to a hallway and stairwell that leads to the second and third floors. My building is FULL of young people and thus, Thursday-Sunday nights (8pm-5am) it's a non-stop symphony of click-clacking stiletto heels, drunken laughter, doors slamming and people scrambling up and down the stairs. It never ends.

Unfortunately I can't say with any degree of certainty that your landlord was obligated to disclose this fact, however according to California Civil Code Section 1927: all tenants are pr provided with a Warranty of Quiet Enjoyment. In other words, all tenants have an implied right to the quiet enjoyment of their rental unit. The implication is pretty clear, but, as my father (a veteran property manager) would say, the application is vague. Most times this has to do with neighbors and nuisance noises from other tenants like fighting, dogs barking, children screaming or running above you, whereas in your case, this is due to a mechanical mechanism arguably beyond anyone's control. It could also be argued that the previous tenant never complained nor did the landlord think it was an issue.

Bottom line: You are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your unit. You are not receiving this at this time, however there is a lot of gray area where this is concerned.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:01 AM

157 posts, read 505,282 times
A mentally ill jerk moved in above me who deliberately makes unreasonable noise at all hours of the day and night, making me sick from the disturbances. I asked to change apartments and was told that him making too much noise was not a reason for me to change, so I will be leaving the complex as soon as possible. Additionally the next door neighbors open their door and allow the most horrible of stenches throughout the hallways every time they do something to fish. It literally makes me want to vomit. And then there are the people who smoke underneath my window. All of this combines to insure that I can not enjoy what I pay rent for, so I will do my best to find a more suitable abode. Good luck with your situation.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:09 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,964,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I once lived on the periphery of the downtown of a mid-sized city. Thin windows, 100 year-old house. Weekends sounded like World War 3.

If a window AC is possible, get one. If it's not, get two fans, and aim them away from you if you don't want the cool air on you. I still do this to drown out the outside noise where I live now (I am a day sleeper, and I sleep between an interstate and our condo complex's main road ).
I have an AC unit already; my place came with one. I actually don't like to use AC; I've been turning the heater on in the mornings because I like it hot. I'll just try to get used to it without AC or fan because I like to listen to music.

It was really quiet last night at around 1 am (technically morning). I didn't hear anything for 5-7 minutes.

My manager lives here too. His place also faces the street. He says he can't hear the garage but his place is next to the stairs that goes down into the underground garage and he says he hears people slam the garage door and pool gate all day long. I believe him.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 PM

513 posts, read 582,090 times
Get a white noise machine

Old 10-22-2011, 01:22 PM

276 posts, read 1,019,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
i looked at it before but never realized that i'm right above the underground garage where cars go in and out every day. Was the manager supposed to tell me or no?

I assumed that i was right above the entrance of the building where people walked in. I didn't realize it was the garage and i can hear the gate opening all the time. The manager never told me... Is it my own fault for not noticing and paying attention when i toured the property? Yes, i saw the unit and was inside for awhile... I also toured the parking garage; i just didn't realize that my unit is above the driveway where cars go in and out 100x a day.

I just forgot to check i guess... I can hear it when cars drive in... And i can hear the gate opening...
~~

yes!

Old 10-23-2011, 02:06 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,239,113 times
I used to live on Larrabee in WeHo (between Sunset & Santa Monica), and I don't remember there being excessive noise at all.

Personally, I have a white noise machine in every room of my apartment. I now live right near Burbank airport and rarely, if ever, do I hear the planes when I'm inside. I also live on one of the busiest streets in Burbank, and never hear any traffic either. I have the old crappy windows, too. I usually have music going and the white noise machines.

They are a godsend! I can't wear earplugs (they hurt my ears), and I hate the sound of complete & total silence (where you can hear your own stomach gurgling). It's creepy! Plus, I like to sing stupid songs out loud all the time... and I feel like the the noise machines cover that up, somewhat, so my neighbors don't think I'm a freak. Well, too much of one, anyway.

White noise all the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles