Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Freedom View Post
The schools here would have to improve dramatically to have any effect on housing prices. We have Arcadia, La Canada, and San Marino all next door with high performing districts. Additionally, if PUSD improves, I think it would only improve the low to mid-range house values. Folks that live in, or would buy houses in the upper end of the market (say $1.2M and up) already make enough to send their kids to private school... so PUSD's performance is not a factor in a home purchase. If they could afford that much house, but were not able to go to private, I contend they'd choose one of the neighboring cities.
Definitely. If you want to buy an equivalent house and have one kid, I think the premium to live in Arcadia/South Pas is higher than the tuition for private schools, in many cases, once you hit the 700-800k price and higher. If you have two it's of course probably more expensive to send kids to private school, but the gap in home prices certainly offsets a lot of that cost, especially if you believe the private schools are better than South Pas/Arcadia schools, which they almost certainly are IMO. San Marino/La Canada are better school districts though, than Arcadia/South Pas, if you ask me.

I agree with you on the home values too, I think the most significant impact would be in the bottom 50% of homes in Pasadena. The bigger impact, IMO, is that house prices in Arcadia/South Pas would drop substantially, especially South Pas. The Asian population in Arcadia will probably hold prices there more than South Pas but I think a similar segment that buys in South Pas would be interested in Pasadena if the schools improved. I don't think that better Pasadena schools would impact La Canada or San Marino prices materially, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
A lot of the housing stock in South Pas is pretty run down, small houses, small lots, etc. Given equivalent schools, I would argue Pasadena would actually cost more than South Pasadena for equivalent sized house/lot/etc..
I don't agree about South Pas. My sister and her family have lived there for years in a beautiful neighborhood. Not a run down house in any of the surrounding blocks. Pasadena USD has never had to improve their ranking since residents who are unhappy with it just send their kids to private schools.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:14 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Lots of shops, restaurants and generally a nice town to live in. A top notch university (Cal Tech), good recreational activities (Old Town, Rose Bowl, etc) and some nice neighborhoods to live in.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 AM

21 posts, read 58,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

Keep in mind that most people consider the Northwest area of Pasadena to be ghetto and unsafe.
Speaking as someone who lives in the "unsafe" area of Pasadena, we've been here years, have never had anything bad happen and know all of our neighbors.

We got a great deal on an amazing Craftsman house with a third of an acre in Pasadena for much less than we would have paid for a tiny little shoebox fixer-upper in other areas of LA. filled with traffic and people who don't know each other.

My "unsafe" neighborhood is filled with firemen, teachers, lawyers and other professionals living in it, and more and more of them are people moving from Silver Lake and Los Feliz. Most of the areas around here are designated historical districts and aren't going to get filled with monster homes...

I'll take my "unsafe" neighborhood ANY time.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:20 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamedan View Post
Speaking as someone who lives in the "unsafe" area of Pasadena, we've been here years, have never had anything bad happen and know all of our neighbors.

We got a great deal on an amazing Craftsman house with a third of an acre in Pasadena for much less than we would have paid for a tiny little shoebox fixer-upper in other areas of LA. filled with traffic and people who don't know each other.

My "unsafe" neighborhood is filled with firemen, teachers, lawyers and other professionals living in it, and more and more of them are people moving from Silver Lake and Los Feliz. Most of the areas around here are designated historical districts and aren't going to get filled with monster homes...

I'm looking at Pasadena a year from now when my lease is up.

I'm 31 and recently moved to LA. I chose an area on Sepulveda near the 405 and the 10 to be centrally located my first year here to be close to attractions, employment, but Pasadena seems more of my community. I moved from Oak Park, IL 8 miles west of Chicago, which is a charming historic suburb where you have a balance of diverse/cosmopolitan and cozy, community oriented, and Pasadena seems similar to that.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:54 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Pasadena used to be called the "Indiana colony" as it was initially founded/settled by settlers from Indiana.

Another interesting twist on Pasadena history, Jackie Robinson grew up in Pasadena. He attended John Muir High School and Pasadena City College before transferring to UCLA.

I know there is a Jackie Robinson Park in Pasadena but I don't know why there isn't anything more....like a statue in Old Town or by City Hall?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Pasadena used to be called the "Indiana colony" as it was initially founded/settled by settlers from Indiana.

Another interesting twist on Pasadena history, Jackie Robinson grew up in Pasadena. He attended John Muir High School and Pasadena City College before transferring to UCLA.

I know there is a Jackie Robinson Park in Pasadena but I don't know why there isn't anything more....like a statue in Old Town or by City Hall?
There is:

Pasadena’s Jackie Robinson Center and Park

Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
Cool.....now I know!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:41 AM

68 posts, read 165,893 times
Those statues are actually near city hall. The park and community center named after Jaciei Robinson is located on Fair Oaks in Northwest Pasadena. I played basketball there as a kid.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamedan View Post

More power to you! Glad to hear the area is gentrifying a bit. However, still looks like your set of teachers, lawyers, and firemen are a pretty aggressive bunch.

According to Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities! , violent crimes.. such as assaults and strong arm crimes happen at a much higher rate in that part of town.

Here's a plot of assaults for the last six months... for me, I'll take the eastern part of the city. Thanks.

Last edited by True Freedom; 01-23-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles