Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM

95 posts, read 275,215 times

Advertisements

Mid-Wilshire/Koreatown is walkable, and mostly safe, although some areas are better than others. It's not as desirable as downtown in terms of restaurants, shops, galleries. But, it would be an okay place to live. If you stay near one of the Red Line stops along Wilshire (e.g. Western or Vermont), it's just a few stops to downtown for dinner or what not. Or, the 720 Rapid Bus cruises down Wilshire for a quick trip to/from downtown.

Walkscore is a helpful website in this regard. Put in an address, and it will generate a 'walkscore' and indicate the closest e.g. supermarket, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. It's a helpful site when you're apartment hunting, or if you're just visiting a new city. I think most places in Mid-Wilshire will have a high walkscore, but the streets won't have the same lively atmosphere as downtown. I'd think of it as a distant second choice, but it's definitely more affordable.

I admit that I'm the crazy get-rid-of-your-car lady, but you really might consider the possibility of getting rid of your car and saving yourself the costs of parking/ownership. Depending on where your girlfriend will work, you may find that you really don't need the car. My husband and I get on fine without one. There is a car-share downtown called LAXCarshare that we use for those occasions when we really do need wheels. (It's just like Zipcar, which you've probably heard of--just a local version with cars around downtown and in other LA neighborhoods.) Otherwise, buses, trains and our own two feet get us where we need to be. There are rapid and express buses to many areas outside of downtown, and metrolink commuter trains for longer distances. There are definitely some places that are a hassle to get to by public transportation. But most places are surprisingly reachable. Just a thought. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:18 PM

362 posts, read 817,970 times
I've got several friends who endorse Santee... though, as mentioned, its right outside the epicenter of activity in downtown, but from all reports, it's a great spot.

I've never read much positive stuff on any of the Barry Shy spots.

If you're considering a place, look it up on as many review sites as possible... (yelp, apartmentratings.com, etc)

Old 01-31-2012, 07:00 PM

22 posts, read 54,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcgill View Post
Mid-Wilshire/Koreatown is walkable, and mostly safe, although some areas are better than others. It's not as desirable as downtown in terms of restaurants, shops, galleries. But, it would be an okay place to live. If you stay near one of the Red Line stops along Wilshire (e.g. Western or Vermont), it's just a few stops to downtown for dinner or what not. Or, the 720 Rapid Bus cruises down Wilshire for a quick trip to/from downtown.

Walkscore is a helpful website in this regard. Put in an address, and it will generate a 'walkscore' and indicate the closest e.g. supermarket, coffee shops, restaurants, etc. It's a helpful site when you're apartment hunting, or if you're just visiting a new city. I think most places in Mid-Wilshire will have a high walkscore, but the streets won't have the same lively atmosphere as downtown. I'd think of it as a distant second choice, but it's definitely more affordable.

I admit that I'm the crazy get-rid-of-your-car lady, but you really might consider the possibility of getting rid of your car and saving yourself the costs of parking/ownership. Depending on where your girlfriend will work, you may find that you really don't need the car. My husband and I get on fine without one. There is a car-share downtown called LAXCarshare that we use for those occasions when we really do need wheels. (It's just like Zipcar, which you've probably heard of--just a local version with cars around downtown and in other LA neighborhoods.) Otherwise, buses, trains and our own two feet get us where we need to be. There are rapid and express buses to many areas outside of downtown, and metrolink commuter trains for longer distances. There are definitely some places that are a hassle to get to by public transportation. But most places are surprisingly reachable. Just a thought. . .
Hmm, I see myself having to settle for the Koreatown area at least temporarily. Unless I am able to find another temporary option so I can be in the LA area and can put myself in a position to take advantage of one of the rare deals that pop up in the DTLA area. I also checked out that company you posted and it seems like a great deal regarding their rental rates. Something like $7/hr. which surely beats having to pay for parking all the time when I will rarely actually use my car. Perhaps that is something I will have to consider as moving time comes closer.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,561 times
Default Downtown LA - California Market Center

Do any of you know this area and could provide me some info on what this area is like during the day as far as working professionals. I have a family member who is thinking of working for a hair salon in that area.
Thanks for all your precious feedback!

Old 09-07-2012, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
Default I am looking to move to la too letme know or post the info you get please...thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicklas14 View Post
Hey everyone, my girlfriend and I will be moving to LA after summer and have started looking at some possible areas to live. We are from the northeast, and we love urban style living/public transportation/things to do in walking distance/etc.

I have scanned probably a billion threads on this forum regarding places to live for young professionals and such. We will both have cars(her job will requiring driving), and I, if possible, would like to take public transportation to work in the Downtown area.

Basically, my question for anyone who currently lives Downtown or goes there often, is what do you think of the area in regards to safety, things to do in walking distance, etc. Our budget is about $1300 a month for rent, and have found several lofts that fit that. From the threads I've read, a lot talked about how Downtown gets very shady after dark, but many of those were from posts two to three years ago. I am looking for someone who can give me an up to date picture of the feel of Downtown LA and perhaps a recommendation on some good neighborhoods to live. I work from home so where I work is irrelevant. We are in our early 20s and would like to live somewhere with a fun atmosphere and similar age groups. My priorities are as follows:

1.) Safety. For my girlfriends sake, I want to live somewhere where she won't be afraid to walk around by herself, or with other girlfriends.
2.) Public transportation. I will have a car, but I loathe driving. I have heard Koreatown, Hollywood, and Downtown would be the best options to go through day to day activities without a car.
3.) Things to do in walking distance. We are from the northeast and like being able to walk a few blocks in every direction and have some neat pubs, restaurants, etc.

When I was originally researching Dowtown, I fell in love and really liked the areas in the Fashion district. But after talking to some of my friends who lived in LA some 8-10 years ago, they made it seem like I was crazy for considering living in Downtown. If anyone could shed some insight on any of these things it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:14 PM

223 posts, read 523,919 times
Downtown still gets shady after dark. It just depends on what part you are in for just how bad it can get. When we were living down there last year some friends wouldn't park their car on the street near our building. And we lived literally 1 block from Staples center on 11th and Flower, which is called South Park and is heavily policed. But there were still people openly selling drugs on the corner, crazy homeless people, big brawls after games, and anything else you could imagine. Gunshots, helicopters, kidnappings, you name it, it does exist in Downtown even though the city is being cleaned up. I drove my GF to her work in East LA and would see all sorts of things, like guys with their pants down going to the bathroom in the middle of the street in the daytime. It really is a scummy area and not for the faint of heart. We eventually moved out as our rent became ridiculous and she didn't like to go out on her own after dark.

I have heard the stories from people who moved into the area before the Ralphs came in and couldn't believe what I was hearing. Being chased by someone with an ice pick on 5th was the one that makes me think WTF.

The City is cleaning itself up, its just not there yet, and is pretty dangerous if you pay attention to the surroundings. Which in the end probably makes you more aware to watch yourself keeping you safer.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:17 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
I was confronted in west L.A. by a man with a giant wrench!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Lol.

Last night from 10pm to 10:30pm I walked from Main/4th over to Spring St, then to 6th, then along 6th to Hope, then to Hope /9th with no incident. In fact, there were LOTS of people out and about.

Trolls really need to stop posting in the downtown threads.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:36 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
My family has been living downtown for 3 months. We live in the financial district and walk everywhere. My children are young and I have never felt threatened. We go to the farmers's markets, library, Ralph's, restaurants, etc. daily. Yes, you will see homeless but it is a city, after all!

Personally, I love the financial district. Professionals during the week-ghost town on the weekends.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:05 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG-LA View Post
Do any of you know this area and could provide me some info on what this area is like during the day as far as working professionals. I have a family member who is thinking of working for a hair salon in that area.
Thanks for all your precious feedback!
The California Market Center area is very safe during the day. It is also safe at night but less so simply because there are fewer people around that area at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles