Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
Melrose is more Hollywood/West Hollywood , not really considered part of the westside.

WeHo is nice , most likely because it's it's own city . You can tell the difference between WeHo and Hollywood...WeHo is much cleaner. Even though they have a lot of people going there to party etc , they actually clean it and keep it up. Rents are also quite high because of this.

I can see that about the Westside..it's a bit more uptight/snobby and the transplants trying to force their way into film biz is annoying as hell!
It always baffles me how WeHo is a separate city. LA never seems to have any borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
Yeah that's true it might not be the worst time depending on what factors you are looking at. Also you are right DOWNTOWN has improved a lot...but other parts of the city like the valley have really gone downhill , and the valley is a huge part of the city where a lot of people live. Hollywood where you live and where I used to live is probably better in ways than it used to be as far as crime, drugs,etc. The thing is it seems our city officals only care about Hollywood and touristy parts of the city...and for what it's worth most of Hollywood itself is still pretty crappy rundown and dirty.

Also cost of living and rent has gone WAY up as well, people are paying the highest rents ever during this recession for a city offering less and less services, and VERY high unemployment rates.

Also there is still a lot of prostitution in Hollywood....but there is a TON of prostitution in the Valley because the city doesn't care as much about this part of town.
Well the prostitution is not on the street anymore, but that has nothing to do with anything the city did, more with the use of the internet for those things. If it is going on behind closed doors, honestly, I don't care if it is going on.

I do agree the Valley is seeing some of its worst times, and I agree that is the area that is being neglected by the city. I don't necessarily agree that the city ignores all non-touristy parts of the city, just looking at all the rail lines being built or operating in South LA is a good sign of that (Blue, Green, Expo, Crenshaw).

Hollywood is grimy still but not really a dangerous place as it once was. With BID patrol and a large police presence (plus a ton of foot traffic), I have never once felt like I was in danger.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Prostitution on the streets of the Valley? I've never seen that but then again I live in NoHo Valley Village and only go to Burbank, Sherman Oaks and Studio City.

Also, Hollywood doesn't feel dangerous. It's a bit grimy but not dangerous.

What parts of the Valley are neglected? I can see Reseda, Van Nuys, and even when you get to Saticoy being really bad but other than that what's bad about the Valley? Pacoima? That's bad I hear.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Prostitution on the streets of the Valley? I've never seen that but then again I live in NoHo Valley Village and only go to Burbank, Sherman Oaks and Studio City.

Also, Hollywood doesn't feel dangerous. It's a bit grimy but not dangerous.

What parts of the Valley are neglected? I can see Reseda, Van Nuys, and even when you get to Saticoy being really bad but other than that what's bad about the Valley? Pacoima? That's bad I hear.
Pacoima, Van Nuys, Panorama City, Northridge (to some extent) Sun Valley have all seen better days. Doesn't mean all hope is lost for those areas, I wouldn't be surprised if eventually they start to see an upswing again (though it may not be for a while until the 405 / East Valley Corridor transit line is built). There are some real quality suburban-style neighborhoods in those areas and some great SFH architecture as well.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 PM

184 posts, read 353,584 times
BarcelonaFan, actually in NoHo area on Lankershim near Strathern there is a ton of prostitution out in the open. The sad part is there are a lot of kids in this area. It's amazing how different even different parts of North Hollywood are.

Lot's of Valley areas neglected true. There was supposed to be a big project for Valley Plaza in Noho area near Sears w/ a movie theatre shops etc...but it seems like it's halted .

In Panorama City there is an entire shopping center with a montgomary wards store and other stores/restaunts that has been vacant for Many many years...over 10 YEARS!!! and this area is not a Ghost town. The Walmart and mall next has a parking lot that is always busy...so why the holdup? It's so crazy to let property just sit like that.

The people in the area don't have tons of money, but they do spend money. So crazy. Driving past that center is very depressing and I'm sure it's not very encouraging for the people that live there. I think putting something positive there could really change things a lot.

Also North Hills area is pretty bad I drove through on Parthenia and there was so much trash on the street...it looked like it never gets cleaned up. Of course businesses SHOULD be participating in cleaning up too. It takes a group effort , business,citizens and local gov to really fix stuff up.

You are right all hope isn't totally lost...it would be nice to see some projects or investment for the valley though. There needs to be a plan though like they did in Culver City etc.

The valley is very segregated lot's of people that live in Sherman Oaks for example never venture too far north....I don't really blame them though as there isn't really much of interest honestly..

I think it would be cool if we had something like the Oakland Popup hood Work with us - popuphood
The valley is really lacking in interesting/exciting independent retail places. There is no real plan for retail and it's depressing to see a liquor store next to a pawn shop next to a check cashing place next to....

Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It always baffles me how WeHo is a separate city. LA never seems to have any borders.
Actually when you look at a map of the city borders it makes more sense why those areas are not part of the city - they are outside the original "radius" that extended from DTLA. Then when the city built up the borders of Weho and BH, it just went around them and annexed / developed the land beyond them, making them islands. That also explains why Culver City is a random island too. Obviously there are many other factors at play but this is the most basic level.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Quote:
BarcelonaFan, actually in NoHo area on Lankershim near Strathern there is a ton of prostitution out in the open. The sad part is there are a lot of kids in this area. It's amazing how different even different parts of North Hollywood are.

Lot's of Valley areas neglected true. There was supposed to be a big project for Valley Plaza in Noho area near Sears w/ a movie theatre shops etc...but it seems like it's halted .
Why aren't the authorities putting a halt to this? Do the cops know about this area but choose to do nothing? If it's out in the open you would think it's proly due to the fact that the cops don't care.

Also, the area around Valley Plaza doesn't seem that bad to me. I live not to far and go to the movie theatre there with no fear. I love Laurel Canyon and find the whole street up until sherman way to be safe and nice.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Just need to know what's what, which is where a good map can come in handy.

Why should it baffle you that West Hollywood is now a separate city? It is just simply a piece of land on the earth's surface in the County of Los Angeles, surrounded by the City of Los Angeles, that is under something else's jurisdiction.

LA sure does have borders. Ask any LA police if you have an emergency and it takes place on a border line between LA and some other city/jurisdiction, they will know and will let you know if it under their purview or under another agency's.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
I agree LA has borders. The way the small cities engulfed by LA (Santa Monica, Culver City, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood) handle matters is much more efficient and smooth than the city of LA. A portion of Bel Air wants to be annexed by Beverly Hills because the city of LA won't fix the dangerous potholes on the streets.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 PM

184 posts, read 353,584 times
There was some kind of sting because the problem is so big....but I think it was only when businesses started complaining. Also why does this city let thing get so out of control?...illegal behavior should be stopped immediately.. Police and other city officials are getting paid very well ... There are so many pot stores, asian massage parlors/whorehouses, prostitutes walking on the street in North Hollywood it's not even funny..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles