Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times

Advertisements

I say go for it. You can always move again! And you're right, you're 40. You're not 80. Enjoy! LA is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
THIS^^^

I completely understand your draw to Southern California. I am planning on moving my family of five out there hopefully within the year (if I can sell my house). We won't be making much more than you and we know we can make it work, so you will be fine. That is a great salary for a single person anywhere. I have three kids ages 11, 8 and 2. I am also in my early forties and feel I should have been there years ago. Wanted to live there my whole life. I've visited and I will tell you I never wanted to leave. Go for it. If it doesn't work out, there is always VA.

Good luck and enjoy your new adventure!

Glad someone is feeling me on Southern California. What state will you be relocating from and how has your employment search been?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 PM

37 posts, read 84,572 times
I think Charlotte is interesting, it's just not LA

Old 09-01-2012, 06:13 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
I'm from Nashville, TN originally and moved to LA 19 years ago. Last November I moved back to TN for a variety of reasons. I'm now packing for the return trip to LA. Yeah, the traffic sucks and the rent is high. But you can't beat the climate, the natural beauty, the diversity, etc.... LA is huge and rambling - a city of many moods and vibes. The possibilities are endless, which may be why I love it there so much. Personally, I think the high cost of living is worth it (it's really rent and gas that are higher, but income is higher too).

Old 09-03-2012, 07:03 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,609 times
Glad to see both sides of the point of view of living in LA here in this thread. I'm sure the inconviences are overwhelming sometimes. And I'm also sure that the negatives are quite negative at other times. For some of us though, climate is a big selling point. In fact, I believe that I suffer from S.A.D., and having a climate that rarely changes would be a big advantage for me. But I can totally see that I would hate many of the other negative things about LA.

My decision is just to know that it's something I want to do. And if an opportunity comes up to do it, I'll jump on it. I'll even casually look for an opportunity. However, just dropping everything here and going there doesn't make sense, and it's not a very responsible thing for me to do, in my own personal life.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 PM

As a single person with no kids...moving to Los Angeles would definitely be a step up for me. Personally for me its about the lifestyle, the options that would be accessible to me that are currently not accessible to me here in Charlotte. Diversity is very big with me as well....Charlotte is a very fickle city at best....very clickish. Despite what you are probably seeing on television with the DNC coverage and all, don't believe the hype. Charlotte is boring, conservative, not happening in my opinion. Im 40, not 60..plus i think moving there would allow me to salvage a little bit of a life.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
As a single person with no kids...moving to Los Angeles would definitely be a step up for me. Personally for me its about the lifestyle, the options that would be accessible to me that are currently not accessible to me here in Charlotte. Diversity is very big with me as well....Charlotte is a very fickle city at best....very clickish. Despite what you are probably seeing on television with the DNC coverage and all, don't believe the hype. Charlotte is boring, conservative, not happening in my opinion. Im 40, not 60..plus i think moving there would allow me to salvage a little bit of a life.
westcoastbabe, I know you've been contemplating this move for a while. I am originally from Los Angeles and love it, but moved back to San Diego because it has more of the laid back feel I was looking for. My son's live in the Valley (North Hollywood) and they love it, but they are in the entertainment industry. I just don't know how quickly you will find something, if you don't transfer with your bank. You will be able to afford a 1bd in North Hollywood if you're making approx $60K and without a lot a bills. In LA you will definitely have to have a car. Even though they have public transit, it's not at the level of DC or NYC.

My vote, not that I really have one, is to go ahead and make the move. Since I recall you mentioning your situation in previous posts, I say once you've sold or rented out your home in Charlotte, come on out - bring about a years worth of savings, if you don't have a job though.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:54 PM

734 posts, read 932,896 times
Quote:
Well if it jobs...they are definitely not here in Charlotte....and from the majority of posts that I read daily, I still see people moving to California, not just Los Angeles...I actually have a cousin who moved there along with the wife and 3 kids about 6yrs ago from Virginia to Aliso Viejo.... He got laid off but the wife was able to obtain employment. We thought for sure after he got laid off, they would head back east...not so.....GRant it...they are trying to make it work..He tell's the family that he will never come back east....thats how much they love it there.
Perhaps you're in the midst of a midlife crisis. If this is the case, moving to CA won't help you. If anything, it may just make you even more depressed, after you realize that California living is not all that it's cracked up to be.

If however, you are dead set on moving to CA, just make certain that you have a good job lined up. After you get a good job that can pay your rent and other expenses, pack your bags and book a one way ticket to L.A.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Perhaps you're in the midst of a midlife crisis. If this is the case, moving to CA won't help you. If anything, it may just make you even more depressed, after you realize that California living is not all that it's cracked up to be.

If however, you are dead set on moving to CA, just make certain that you have a good job lined up. After you get a good job that can pay your rent and other expenses, pack your bags and book a one way ticket to L.A.
Thanks for the input...but after being in Charlotte for almost 40yrs. trust me Los Angeles would be a welcome breath of fresh air....Almost 'therapeutic' Seriously.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 PM

734 posts, read 932,896 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input...but after being in Charlotte for almost 40yrs. trust me Los Angeles would be a welcome breath of fresh air....Almost 'therapeutic' Seriously.
LOL, When I lived in Manhattan, I felt the same way. I couldn't wait to get out of there. It was a breath of fresh air to relocate to the DC metro area.

I've visited numerous places in CA. Actually, I was just in L.A. to partake in a family reunion. I enjoy visiting from time to time, but it's simply not where I want to live.

If you truly want to move to L.A., dedicate time, energy and effort towards making your dream a reality. Start saving (if you haven't already done so) and let your employer know that you're interested in their LA office. If the senior execs at your bank like you, they may be willing to make a few calls on your behalf.

My current employer was interested in relocating a few interested individuals from our DC metro area divisional offices to San Francisco. Although they were offering 12K plus cost of living salary adjustments, I passed on the opportunity. I never wanted to reside in San Francisco (or LA for that matter), but, different strokes for different folks.

Again, if it's truly your dream and desire, you will find a way to make it happen. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles