Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
LA Times

What I find amazing is that the above property....there has not been one single action taken to resolve this loft by the bank. That is, no Notice of Delinquency, no eviction, no foreclosure, no auction, no nothing. For YEARS now.

Doesn't anyone wonder how many more of these there are? NO ONE KNOWS because they aren't measured in any report.

This is the shadow inventory that's impossible to quantify. I wonder if any REA have any comments to make?
This type of thing has certainly been a fairly common occurrence in the past several years, but I have to agree with you in that it's nearly impossible to quantify. As such, we only have anecdotal evidence to go by. It's easy to over blow the situation when there are no hard numbers. It's definitely a continuing problem, but I don't think it's nearly as sensational as a lot of people make it out to be.

The article mentions banks sitting on their thumbs because they don't want to pay association fees, which I can't imagine is true. I think it has more to do with the banks' ineptitude.

Another LA Times article on shadow inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I guess from the banks perspective they aren't going to make money on the deal because values haven't gone up so they feel they'll just take their sweet time...If the executives knew they were going to be making profit you'd see how fast they would get it done.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
This type of thing has certainly been a fairly common occurrence in the past several years, but I have to agree with you in that it's nearly impossible to quantify. As such, we only have anecdotal evidence to go by. It's easy to over blow the situation when there are no hard numbers. It's definitely a continuing problem, but I don't think it's nearly as sensational as a lot of people make it out to be.

The article mentions banks sitting on their thumbs because they don't want to pay association fees, which I can't imagine is true. I think it has more to do with the banks' ineptitude.

Another LA Times article on shadow inventory.
Maybe, but its really difficult in this situation to trust the president. His entire economic policy depends on the recovery of housing prices(or the bonds the fed keeps buying become worthless). So the sudden release of numbers as to the actual amount of shadow inventory could potentially be devastating, even if that inventory is not for sale.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
I found all kinds of listings in South LA, but we don't really talk about living there.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 PM

3 posts, read 12,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonsa View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are considering moving to LA in the near future. We have around a $260K budget and are looking to purchase a property (small house/condo/apt). Is this feasible? If so, are there any decent neighborhoods anyone can recommend in that price range? Any other thoughts are welcome too.

Thanks for the insight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonsa View Post
My job would be downtown and my wife would most likely work from home. I wouldn't mind a 40-50 min commute, and prefer living in a smaller space/nice neighborhood than larger/crappy neighborhood.

If you want a 40-50 minute commute with that price range, it would be very
difficult.
There are some nice properties in Silver Lake up in the hills. It may be a bit
more expensive.

Nice neighborhoods around the area are Los Feliz and Pasadena but it would
be a farther commute and a bit more expensive.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:25 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
I've been in Atwater - next to Los Feliz but a bit cheaper - and a small 2 BR bungalow on a small lot recently sold for over $400K.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,657 times
Well, Trulia lists Downtown condos starting at $185,000 (not counting foreclosed units), so you might actually be able to get something small there.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM

74 posts, read 198,539 times
What constitutes a "nice neighborhood" for you? Everyone has different expectations - I once had a client who specifically wanted to buy a condo that faced the 101 freeway... she was from Wyoming and felt like the condo gave her that "city life" vibe. On the flip side, you might want something much quieter - perhaps tucked away in the Hollywood Hills - on a quirky winding road...

For starters, you should definitely be thinking in terms of condo/townhouse & not single family residence, no matter where you go.

Secondly, I would suggest renting for a year or so to see how you like whatever neighborhood you're considering. After a year in West Hollywood, I was DONE with the traffic & happily migrated to the suburbs... no more decisions about whether to have Russian cuisine or Cuban fusion & no more strolls down 3rd Street on a lazy Sunday morning to poke around little independent shops, but I also didn't have to claw my way to work every AM through traffic.

You might even consider downtown - NOT a place to raise kids, but there is definitely a DT revival happening with some amazing loft properties, nightlife, etc.

If not downtown, you could take the commuter train to areas like Glendale (great city feel, but small enough to be navigable) & Burbank. Pasadena is a tough but short drive into the financial district with its own amazing downtown drag (Colorado) & close proximity to a number of lovely spots to visit, including the Huntington Library, Descanso Gardens, the Rose Bowl...

Good luck to you!!

Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Well, Trulia lists Downtown condos starting at $185,000 (not counting foreclosed units), so you might actually be able to get something small there.
Either on the border of Skid Row or in an all cash building like SB Grand at 5th/Broadway(HOA issues so banks won't lend on the building)

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
~11 mile commute.

2513 West 101ST St, Inglewood, CA 90303 | MLS# 22170731 | Redfin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles