Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,871 times

Advertisements

I am a 24-yr-old female moving to LA for a new job in Downtown. I am also a triathlete, so I'm trying to figure out where to live where I can be near other like minded people, take my bike out for a weekend ride, and walk comfortably at night -- all hopefully without a long commute. How safe/reliable is the LA metro from an area like Culver City during the work week? My budget is around $1500 and I'm willing to try to find a roommate as well for a 2BR.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times
I'm sure you'll fit right in. Especially being athletic. Everyone in L.A. is always running.. From something..

Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Downtown.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,469 times
Expo Line serves Culver City to downtown LA. So, you could live in Culver City and not have to drive the horrible commute. Because you will be working in downtown LA, you can live just about anywhere in the LA metro area as downtown LA has EXCELLENT transit options.

Also, you would love Cyclavia and Metro has removed more seats from subway and light rail to accommodate bikes and Metrolink commuter rail has entire rail cars for bike riders: the entire lower level is for bikes.

Good luck.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:30 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Because you will be working in downtown LA, you can live just about anywhere in the LA metro area as downtown LA has EXCELLENT transit options.
Well...depends on how long you want your commute to be. Taking the Expo Line from Culver City would definitely be reasonable though. I'd check out downtown too, it's really the only truly urban part of the LA area and there's cool areas nearby like Little Tokyo.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 AM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I would recommend South Pasadena. Pretty short distance to DTLA and safe walkable area. The Gold Line has a station there also. Demographics of South Pasadena are generally educated professionals and families.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,871 times
I'm hoping that my commute will be under 45 minutes, but I would be willing to commute a bit longer via metro if it's safe. I just really hate sitting in traffic for 45 minutes each way. I am moving from Washington, DC.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,133 times
Nothing wrong with Culver City but just curious why you picked it out - is it because it's toward the beach?
If you are open to other areas, I suggest checking out Los Feliz/Silverlake/Beachwood maybe even Echo Park. These areas are all very accessible to downtown either by car or Metro Rail. They also lean to trendy, hip, artsy and close to Griffith Park - great for running, biking etc.! You should be able to find a very decent rental property within your budget in those areas.
Good Luck and welcome to LA, I believe you will enjoy!
forgot to say - any of those areas is within a 30 minute commute to downtown by car and maybe less by Metro rail.

Last edited by Social Democrat; 12-11-2012 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: added blurb about lenght of commute.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:25 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,016 times
You might want to also look in Pasadena. Around Old Town and towards Lake Ave. Lots of single young prof there. Safe. Lots of amenities. Also get to DTLA via Gold line metro in about 30 mins. Loads of people riding their bikes or running around the Rose Bowl and I think there is an aquatic center.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
If you are looking for something a little more urban, check out Hollywood or East Hollywood. It's a little gritty and definitely not for everyone but is actually relatively safe and just a 15 minute subway ride into Downtown LA (I know because my wife takes the Red Line a few times a week). It is very diverse and has visible homeless people (more than most neighborhoods but not Skid Row or anything) so there are people that call it "ghetto" - a misnomer if I've ever heard one.

You would be a quick drive to Griffith Park and walking distance to Runyon Canyon Park which is sort of a "hiking trail" - wouldn't quite call it hiking, though there are some steeper / more treacherous paths than the main one. It is also one of the most walkable neighborhoods in the city, with basically every amenity you could think of within a half mile or mile.

I get the feeling it is not what you are looking for but figured it was worth giving a pitch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles