Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:36 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
LOL aren't you a transplant yourself
Not an insufferable one though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 09:23 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,337 times
BarcelonaFan, would you say the majority of the transplants fall into that that category?

I can see it being worse among midwesterners and southerners who move to LA.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:53 PM

242 posts, read 499,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan
I'm in LA and making the case that Miami has a much wilder nightlife. The fact that you lambast the notion that a superior nightlife is a notch in a city's favor tells me that you would fit in perfect here in LA with the mopey sarcastic crowd that thinks a party scene is too vapid for their superior tastes. I mean what would complimenting Miami's nightlife tell you about the people other than you think you're better for avoiding it it something?

Don't worry someday you will escape, come to LA and add to the multitude of insufferable transplants that say stuff like you posted. It tells me a lot.

bwahahahaha barcelona said the same thing to me when i said about how i was tired of the miami scene and the clubbing and beach get old.
miami has nothing to offer and what it did have to offer got to be boring. nothing changes except the new club of the month and new restaurant of the year.
i do love the latin vibe and love Hialeah for some excellent cuban food.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:34 PM

19 posts, read 33,854 times
Los Angeles, definitely. It's skyline is higher and there mountains to look at at one side and ocean to look at on the other. Miami is all flat, too humid, too much rain, no diversity, it's literally Cuba in the U.S and you can't escape its climate in L.A you're a at most 2 hours from a different climate.the desert, the ocean, the cold mountains, and the pine forests. while it's warm and sunny in L.A itself and never feels uncomfortable with no extreme hot or cold days and perfect humidity to make it not feel like the desert. Average winter day in L.A ranges from highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's while Miami will be humid and muggy in the 80's to the 60's and summers even hotter. L.A summers range from the low 90's to the low 70's in summer. The palm trees in L.A also look tons better.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
LA any day of the week.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:13 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers all day View Post
Los Angeles, definitely. It's skyline is higher and there mountains to look at at one side and ocean to look at on the other. Miami is all flat, too humid, too much rain, no diversity, it's literally Cuba in the U.S and you can't escape its climate in L.A you're a at most 2 hours from a different climate.the desert, the ocean, the cold mountains, and the pine forests. while it's warm and sunny in L.A itself and never feels uncomfortable with no extreme hot or cold days and perfect humidity to make it not feel like the desert. Average winter day in L.A ranges from highs in the 70's and lows in the 50's while Miami will be humid and muggy in the 80's to the 60's and summers even hotter. L.A summers range from the low 90's to the low 70's in summer. The palm trees in L.A also look tons better.
Some of this is false. LA in winter is generally mid-60sF with nights in the 40sF, and high chance of rain. Miami in winter is usually about 75F for a high and upper 50sF for a low, but not humid, as itnis the dry season. Miami also has warmer, clearer and calmer water than LA and more tropical foliage.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:52 PM

387 posts, read 515,705 times
Miami, plus side- cost of living, many golf courses, great beaches, Pro sports for a bargain, beautiful winters.3hrs to NYC, South Beach for nightlife,tropical climate,- On the negative side, Miami has significant violent crime issues in neighborhoods west, & north of downtown. Summer heat can be tough, but ocean helps.little mass transit other than buses, minor subway,train system,hurricane season is hit or miss. As only a visitor to LA,lots of positives if you can afford it,negatives I saw,traffic congestion, cost of living, sprawl. I know my choice

Old 04-20-2014, 04:08 PM

546 posts, read 817,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I understand supply and demand, believe me.

But you have to agree that some things are overvalued/overpriced and some are undervalued/under priced.

I see the 50k homes in Miami going back up to 100k or more much quicker than I see the properties in Panorama City that are 350k going up to 700k.

Also some people are happy renting and renting in L.A because they can't afford to buy anything.

How many rich or well off people do you know that are lifelong renters?...

I don't think Miami is a bad alternative to L.A

I'm not being a booster for every city, just think people should get out of their bubbles as Barcelona suggests..
I agree that Miami is not a bad alternative to LA especially when you consider the cheaper real estate. As someone with some built up equity, I have considered making this move in the past. My firm has an office in Miami and I could make the same amount of money there as i do here. So the thought does cross my mind.

Some of the issues that have prevented me pursing the idea more seriously: I grew up in LA and all my family is here, LA just has so many more layers than Miami, the geographic diversity of LA can not be matched by So.Fla. and the pleasant SoCalif. climate (in Miami you get a solid 4 to 5 months of relentless humidity).

Having said all that, the alternative is an interesting one...certainly would not be the end of the world to live in Miami.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:56 PM

30 posts, read 73,893 times
Miami is a total he** hole. Yeah the night life is fun, but when you are worried about getting knifed the whole time it takes the fun out of it. Even the nice parts look so dilapidated and third world. Like Mexico, keep looking at the ocean and it's pretty. LA has the nightlife, mountains, decently safe, beaches, and blah blah blah. Florida is a giant swamp in my opinion. You would have to pay me to vacation there ever again.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:15 PM

134 posts, read 348,420 times
I lived on SoBe for a year before moving to LA right on 14th and Ocean Drive, Miami Beach is nice and a lot of fun, but mainland Miami is a third world hole. I did all my errands and stuff only in Miami Beach and Aventura but Miami Beach got old after about 9 months you can only jet-ski and lay out on the beach and go clubbing but so much, for day to day life living I'm happy here but Miami Beach is great for a once a year vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles