Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:48 PM

27 posts, read 40,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Glendale, according to the 2010 census, is 71% white. Armenians account for about 28% of the total population of Glendale. They are classified as Caucasian. It's about 16% Asian, 18% Latino/Hispanic, 1.5% African American. These don't add up totally because Latinos can be of more than one race.

Seems to be fairly diverse, this is Southern California, after all, but come have a look for yourself, check it out, and see if you feel comfortable.

"diverse" to some white people is code for (I want an area with mostly white people with a few other ethnic groups sprinkled in)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,636,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaree320 View Post
I really hope I didnt offend anyone when I said that.... :/ I know that LA is diverse, and I love that about it. But I dont want my child to be the only white kid in their class. It's the lack of diversity (from what I saw, at least) that makes me hesitate to consider Glendale. I hope someone understands what Im trying to say....
You're kids is not going to have a problem. Trust me.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM

If you can afford it, I'd say Pasadena is the best of the areas you've listed. I just love Pasadena, it has everything, it's residential, city and suburban all in one. You're right next to downtown and with no traffic 15-20 mins away from West LA. Go for Pasadena my friend!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20/20Vision View Post
"diverse" to some white people is code for (I want an area with mostly white people with a few other ethnic groups sprinkled in)
true.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:40 AM

7 posts, read 6,930 times
Hilaree320 and Crockett&Tubbs I am writing to you primarily. We are a family that live in Russia, Moscow and we just got our US resident status and planning to relocate to California within 4 months. It is very dissapointing to read posts like yours and see this kind of language you used. We live in rather racist country (Russia). We see this racist attitude (Russia is for Russians) here in Moscow quite often. Many Asians, Caucasians, including Armenians have to go through a lot of humiliation here, which makes me sick. We in our family dreamed to live finally in a country where these kind of things do not exist. I know I may sound idealistic, but I thought that in USA we will finallly find a better place, where all are immigrants this way or another. I see however, that there is no better place and still many people are seriously dicussing dissadvantages of being light skinned in a dark skinned environment...sad....

Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arikgh View Post
Hilaree320 and Crockett&Tubbs I am writing to you primarily. We are a family that live in Russia, Moscow and we just got our US resident status and planning to relocate to California within 4 months. It is very dissapointing to read posts like yours and see this kind of language you used. We live in rather racist country (Russia). We see this racist attitude (Russia is for Russians) here in Moscow quite often. Many Asians, Caucasians, including Armenians have to go through a lot of humiliation here, which makes me sick. We in our family dreamed to live finally in a country where these kind of things do not exist. I know I may sound idealistic, but I thought that in USA we will finallly find a better place, where all are immigrants this way or another. I see however, that there is no better place and still many people are seriously dicussing dissadvantages of being light skinned in a dark skinned environment...sad....
I wouldn't take what they say very seriously. They are in a definite minority. Yes, there is some racism in the United States but the majority of Americans are not racist and get along fine with different races. California is very diverse and unless you live in the ghetto, you won't see very much racism.

What part of California are you moving to? I have lived in both Southern California for many years and also lived in the San Francisco Bay area for many years. We like both areas very much.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:02 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
I would choose Pasadena hands down if you can afford it. The commute to/from Santa Clarita can be brutal. Pasadena is a beautiful area with a very nice downtown and a very easy commute to Glendale.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:04 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,735 times
Quote:
well if you're looking for a utopia where everyone loves everybody else you might as well give up that search right now.

that said, i agree with the poster you said you shouldn't take everything said in this thread to heart. there are good and bad ppl everywhere and most ppl here in socal get along fine with others.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:07 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,308,483 times
Quote:
Trust me, people in LA (and the USA for that matter) aren't 1/10 as prejudiced as Russians in Moscow.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 AM

7 posts, read 6,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
What part of California are you moving to? I have lived in both Southern California for many years and also lived in the San Francisco Bay area for many years. We like both areas very much.
We plan to settle within Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank somewhere. Good schools will be decisive factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles