Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

I think I'm going to get a car. Well, I have to learn to drive first. But I'm pretty positive I'm going to do both those things.

I've been in LA a month and using solely public transit. I think it's good, and its only getting better. But that doesn't change the fact that everything here is so spread out, and getting from one area to another takes forever. And sometimes it takes longer than it should to transfer or wait for a bus. So you really need to have patience.

When I was considering a move to LA, most people told me not to move there without a car. I think those that say living in LA without a car is not do-able are wrong. Of course it is. But then I'm not of the opinion that it's just as easy as those East coast cities. I guess it just depends on your lifestyle.

I just lack the patience I guess. Sometimes I'm leaving 75-90 minutes ahead of time to go somewhere or meet someone on the other side of town. Now I haven't fully gotten into a regular routine yet, so I'm sure it would be much more stress-free when I'm not exploring every end of LA.

But most of the areas along the Red line I don't have much interest in, so picking a spot like that where I live/work/eat/party probably wouldn't do it for me. It seems most of the people who love LA without a car are doing just that. Like I said, it depends on your lifestyle. I'm a Westside guy.

Now, I live a very walkable 1 mile from work. And it's an area I had wanted to live, so I'm not even sure I would be leaving my neighborhood much. But I do have free parking that comes with my place. And I'm trying to pursue screenwriting on the side, and those kind of meetings can be anywhere.

So with my situation, I could just as easily live car-free. But I think I'm going to learn to drive post-haste for convenience' sake. Though I can totally see how people live in Hollywood or something and love not having a car.

Most of my activities might still end up being car-free, but I think it'd be worth it to have the option. However I think Metro has a really good future ahead of it and I'm not one of those people who has an issue with public transit here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think I'm going to get a car. Well, I have to learn to drive first. But I'm pretty positive I'm going to do both those things.

I've been in LA a month and using solely public transit. I think it's good, and its only getting better. But that doesn't change the fact that everything here is so spread out, and getting from one area to another takes forever. And sometimes it takes longer than it should to transfer or wait for a bus. So you really need to have patience.

When I was considering a move to LA, most people told me not to move there without a car. I think those that say living in LA without a car is not do-able are wrong. Of course it is. But then I'm not of the opinion that it's just as easy as those East coast cities. I guess it just depends on your lifestyle.

I just lack the patience I guess. Sometimes I'm leaving 75-90 minutes ahead of time to go somewhere or meet someone on the other side of town. Now I haven't fully gotten into a regular routine yet, so I'm sure it would be much more stress-free when I'm not exploring every end of LA.

But most of the areas along the Red line I don't have much interest in, so picking a spot like that where I live/work/eat/party probably wouldn't do it for me. It seems most of the people who love LA without a car are doing just that. Like I said, it depends on your lifestyle. I'm a Westside guy.

Now, I live a very walkable 1 mile from work. And it's an area I had wanted to live, so I'm not even sure I would be leaving my neighborhood much. But I do have free parking that comes with my place. And I'm trying to pursue screenwriting on the side, and those kind of meetings can be anywhere.

So with my situation, I could just as easily live car-free. But I think I'm going to learn to drive post-haste for convenience' sake. Though I can totally see how people live in Hollywood or something and love not having a car.

Most of my activities might still end up being car-free, but I think it'd be worth it to have the option. However I think Metro has a really good future ahead of it and I'm not one of those people who has an issue with public transit here!
Thanks for the perspective.

Personally I enjoy being in the situation of "I have a car but never need to use it".

Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
I think those that say living in LA without a car is not do-able are wrong. Of course it is.
If your time is worth $5 an hour then it is doable.

Also, about public transportation, nobody (or very few) wants to take public transportation anywhere, west coast, east coast, big city, etc. They take it because cars are prohibitive due to traffic, parking, costs, disabilities, etc. If parking and traffic weren't problems, and cost was not a factor, then very few people would actually want to be in a crowded smelly anonymous dirty bus or train with a bunch of strangers vs sitting in a nice comfortable car knowing you can stop and detour to wherever you want whenever you want.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
I hear you. Something i'm facing myself. I've had a car since I was 16, but the costs of maintaining and keeping a car is getting tiresome. Car insurance is astronomical, regular services, gas is only going up, constant fear of speeding tickets/parking tickets/fender benders, paying for parking, getting stuck in traffic. Going carless would save me several grand a year EASY.

But it only makes sense to go carless if you live in a central area where public transit will get you from pt a to pt b easily. Like Santa Monica to Westwood, or even Santa Monica to Downtown. If you're living in Beverly Hills and working in Burbank, you're SOL. 3 buses and 3 hours. Therefore, going carless will save you tons of money and headache, but limit where you can work.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:

As metro areas West of the Mississippi go LA is actually above average. Here in the Western US you are going to run into the same issues or worse, pretty much anywhere. Even in the much vaunted Bay Area in reality the average person is going to spend lots of time on buses and waiting for transfers. Or you bike it, to the extent possible, if you're talking 20 miles or less. Be glad you're not in Seattle!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If your time is worth $5 an hour then it is doable.

Also, about public transportation, nobody (or very few) wants to take public transportation anywhere, west coast, east coast, big city, etc. They take it because cars are prohibitive due to traffic, parking, costs, disabilities, etc. If parking and traffic weren't problems, and cost was not a factor, then very few people would actually want to be in a crowded smelly anonymous dirty bus or train with a bunch of strangers vs sitting in a nice comfortable car knowing you can stop and detour to wherever you want whenever you want.
I have to disagree with you. I loved taking the subway back in New York. I enjoyed the freedom to zone out or read on my commute. I enjoyed the convenience of being able to drink and not worry about having to drive home. Sometimes the people-watching was pretty amusing too. I know a lot of New Yorkers who feel the same way.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I have to disagree with you. I loved taking the subway back in New York. I enjoyed the freedom to zone out or read on my commute. I enjoyed the convenience of being able to drink and not worry about having to drive home. Sometimes the people-watching was pretty amusing too. I know a lot of New Yorkers who feel the same way.
I agree as well. If the redline were as prevalent as the NY subway, I'd take it everywhere. Way easier than using a car, even in areas with ample parking.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 PM

23 posts, read 32,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I would disagree with this also. Here in Melbourne, Australia, there is an extensive inner city tram network. It would probably take me a similar time tram vs car, but I, like many others, choose to tram it as it means we can do something on the tram, and/or dont have to concentrate.

Personally i dont like driving in cities, much prefer open country roads, so if there is good transport where i dont have to focus i would take that

Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times
I took the elevated train ("el") to work every morning in Chicago for 3 1/2 years. Despite the train ride only being 20 minutes long I did not particularly enjoy it. I would have preferred to drive if it were more convenient and parking wasn't $12-15 per day.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
I agree with the OP. When I lived in the SFV, I owned a car, but it would sometimes sit in the garage all week, or perhaps even for 2, until my roommate totaled his ride and stopped holding up his share of drives to the club. Buuut... when it came time to go snag some fresh powder up at Mammoth, or hit the waves in the 805, I was glad to have that car. There's so much to do in the area and region, and a lot of it you just can't do without a car.

Plus, when you get a SO or spouse, public transit becomes much less worthwhile. In fact, even in Boston, it's actually cheaper to drive most place than ride the slow and expensive T. I live 3 miles from the city core, and I pretty much drive every day unless there's a huge event where I know traffic will be horrible, or I know I can't sneak some free parking.

In the rest of the world, car-free is possible or even better. However, outside of NYC and a few select city central cores, it's foolish in America; especially for families or carpools of 2 or more. Car-lite is the way to go in LA. I suggest you invest in a $5000 subcompact jalopy, get state-minimum insurance, and enjoy your newfound freedom when your destination isn't on the same line that you live on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles