Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 10:56 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times

Advertisements

Ive read that Pasadena Unified has the highest number of private schools within any school district in the entire country. Anybody that can afford it sends their kids to schools like poly, westridge, prep, mayfield, etc.

If you can afford that type of tuition for three kids Pasadena is one of the best places to live. If not I personally would look at south pas if your job is in Alhambra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 PM

341 posts, read 708,756 times
IMO, in LA County the city most resembling Irvine (Orange County) is Santa Clarita/Valencia. To get that Irvine feel in the Alhambra vicinity you will likely need to look into Arcadia, South Pasadena, Altadena, San Marino and Albambra itself.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
I'd also not recommend the Irvine-to-Alhambra drive. Considering you have 3 little ones, you'll probably want to at least spend some time with them. Most of the cities recommended are good options, but they're not really anything like Irvine. The Rosedale community in Azusa is a nice, newer master planned community, but their school district isn't very highly ranked. Another option could be the Amerige Heights area of Fullerton--newer homes, master planned community and great schools--but it's 25+ miles to Alhambra in pretty heavy traffic.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Ineresting numbers... I'm surprised.... I live in LB and can't believe it's higher than Pasadena....

The things you learn off of the wacky thing called the Internets........
It's been pretty well-documented here on the forum that Pasadena's school district isn't as good as it probably should be.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Don't do that commute. I've done it a lot, it sucks.
I second that.

Quote:
check out the cities just north of Alhambra, Pasadena and San Marino.... they can be pretty pricy though.
Living in either of those cities would result in an even longer commute to Irvine. Pasadena Unified is one of the lower ranking school districts in the state, although there are a few elementary schools whose scores have improved. You'd have to get really involved in your kids's schools, though, if you decided to send them there.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I second that.

Living in either of those cities would result in an even longer commute to Irvine. Pasadena Unified is one of the lower ranking school districts in the state, although there are a few elementary schools whose scores have improved. You'd have to get really involved in your kids's schools, though, if you decided to send them there.
The job was in Alhambra, I suggested they live in Pasadena or San Marino so that they wouldn't have to commute to Irvine, which is where they want to live.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
It's been pretty well-documented here on the forum that Pasadena's school district isn't as good as it probably should be.
I don't read the LA forum that much and I don't bother to try and remember various topics and what frequency they appear....

Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
The job was in Alhambra, I suggested they live in Pasadena or San Marino so that they wouldn't have to commute to Irvine, which is where they want to live.
Ooops; sorry....too early in the a.m.!

Old 05-24-2013, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 9,129 times
What about Brea to Alhambra?? Would that be more doable?

Old 05-25-2013, 12:07 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmendozy View Post
What about Brea to Alhambra?? Would that be more doable?
Mileage-wise, it's better than Irvine, but you'd still be sitting in some pretty heavy traffic on the daily commute. You may want to considering Diamond Bar or Walnut if you want a slightly shorter commute, yet still be in a very nice, family friendly area with great schools. Brea could work though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles