Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Having lived in Venice, and having been to Culver City a lot, I saw no evidence Culver City had better public services, less crime (Culver City has ghetto areas too), or in any stretch of the imagination was better.
Then you must have not been looking, or you must never have set foot in Culver City. I've lived in Culver City, unlike you. I've also lived in Venice. I was born in and lived the overwhelming majority of my life in Los Angeles, mostly the west side, and almost all of it in California. Meanwhile, you, by your own admission, have never spent more than a year of your life in Los Angeles.

Culver City has considerably less crime than Venice, and much better public services. The infrastructure is considerably better, the cops actually respond when you call them, and there is more of a sense of order. The streets are cleaner than Venice, or even Brentwood. Compare the homeless situation in Culver City to that of Venice, they could not be more different. Culver City is considerably more friendly to business than Los Angeles. (Try having a small business in Culver City versus having one in L.A. and you'll find out the differences quite quickly.) Every time I had to call up CC government, they were very helpful and responsive. One cannot say the same thing about L.A. Culver City is extremely tough on the homeless, unlike L.A. city where they are a protected class.

Culver City's so called "ghetto" sections have pretty low crime.

There's a big difference between Santa Monica and the surrounding parts of L.A. city territory, in orderliness, in cleanliness, in the quality of city services, in dealing with the city, you name it. I can't think of a single independent city or unincorporated territory that is worse than the neighboring parts of L.A. city. They're all better.

Last edited by majoun; 08-13-2013 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Then you must have not been looking, or you must never have set foot in Culver City. I've lived in Culver City, unlike you. I've also lived in Venice. I was born in and lived the overwhelming majority of my life in Los Angeles, mostly the west side, and almost all of it in California. Meanwhile, you, by your own admission, have never spent more than a year of your life in Los Angeles.

Culver City has considerably less crime than Venice, and much better public services. The infrastructure is considerably better, the cops actually respond when you call them, and there is more of a sense of order. The streets are cleaner than Venice, or even Brentwood. Compare the homeless situation in Culver City to that of Venice, they could not be more different. Culver City is considerably more friendly to business than Los Angeles. (Try having a small business in Culver City versus having one in L.A. and you'll find out the differences quite quickly.) Every time I had to call up CC government, they were very helpful and responsive. One cannot say the same thing about L.A. Culver City is extremely tough on the homeless, unlike L.A. city where they are a protected class.

There's a big difference between Santa Monica and the surrounding parts of L.A. city territory, in orderliness, in cleanliness, in the quality of city services, in dealing with the city, you name it. I can't think of a single independent city or unincorporated territory that is worse than the neighboring parts of L.A. city. They're all better.
Probably the first time in 3 years I agree with you. NY Writer has only lived in LA briefly and doesn't really know what s/he's talking about. I've worked, lived, played, etc in basically every neighborhood of the westside for about 30 years, and the independent cities are always better off.

The "ghetto" of Culver City is really tame, there is no real ghetto there

Old 08-13-2013, 12:58 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Probably the first time in 3 years I agree with you. NY Writer has only lived in LA briefly and doesn't really know what s/he's talking about. I've worked, lived, played, etc in basically every neighborhood of the westside for about 30 years, and the independent cities are always better off.

The "ghetto" of Culver City is really tame, there is no real ghetto there
True.

The independent cities of the Valley are always better off than the neighboring areas of the Valley within L.A. city, too.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
No, the reason why I don't flip out about on these allegedly bad parts of Los Angeles is because I've lived in the Bronx, Bedstuy, Brooklyn (Biggie was Born there). The worst parts of Venice and West Los Angeles,and of other places on the Westside are comparatively tame to me.

Places that actually have issues with drive bys like parts of Inglewood or Compton, of course are really bad and I'd want nothing to do with.

But it doesn't mean that I, a 6'2" bearded man, is going to act like a 4'5" ft frightened old woman and scream just because there are homeless people or poor people spotted in area.

Every state has good and bad areas, mind you, and those of us from other large cities have certainly seen and been through good and bad areas back in the cities that we are from. Keep in mind that different people have different levels of comfort.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 AM

The thing is, the true reason why some people here want to claim that certain parts of LA are so terrible as opposed to places that aren't LA proper, is because certain parts of LA proper (and certain parts of WEHO) have too many people they don't like. As in people of color, immigrants, gays, POOR, etc. They'd rather live in an enclave where they can pretend certain people don't even exist. It really has nothing to do with safety or an area being good or bad. Its prejudice, same and simple, only they don't have the balls to come out and say it.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
The thing is, the true reason why some people here want to claim that certain parts of LA are so terrible as opposed to places that aren't LA proper, is because certain parts of LA proper (and certain parts of WEHO) have too many people they don't like. As in people of color, immigrants, gays, POOR, etc. They'd rather live in an enclave where they can pretend certain people don't even exist. It really has nothing to do with safety or an area being good or bad. Its prejudice, same and simple, only they don't have the balls to come out and say it.
You're not really making sense with your last two posts. We're not talking about race, immigration, sexuality, class. The independent cities near LA can and often are very diverse in every way you can imagine. Since they are independent cities and not dragged down by the bureaucracy of LA, they tend to thrive better.

If you're referring to the discussion about east WeHo/Hollywood, it's nothing about race. Ladera Heights is heavily black and no one's claiming it's a bad area. Actually, a lot of the "sketchy" neighborhoods in Hollywood have a lot of young white transplants. And a lot of the dangerous transients are white - remember the lady stabbed to death at Hollywood and Highland recently?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
...the true reason why some people here want to claim that certain parts of LA are so terrible... is because certain parts of LA proper have too many people they don't like. As in people of color, immigrants, gays, POOR, etc. Its prejudice, same and simple, only they don't have the balls to come out and say it.
You must be extrapolating from your experiences in New York.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You must be extrapolating from your experiences in New York.
No, I have been to LA too, and I have been in other places as well.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
You're not really making sense with your last two posts. We're not talking about race, immigration, sexuality, class. The independent cities near LA can and often are very diverse in every way you can imagine. Since they are independent cities and not dragged down by the bureaucracy of LA, they tend to thrive better.

If you're referring to the discussion about east WeHo/Hollywood, it's nothing about race. Ladera Heights is heavily black and no one's claiming it's a bad area. Actually, a lot of the "sketchy" neighborhoods in Hollywood have a lot of young white transplants. And a lot of the dangerous transients are white - remember the lady stabbed to death at Hollywood and Highland recently?
Except I don't think the diverse areas the ones you'd claim are the most safe. I think the wealthiest, whites suburbs are what you're claiming as "safe" and anything less than that, especially if its a part of the city of LA, is "unsafe".

When you can just come out and say you don't like people of color, immigrants, and poor people. Since that's exactly what people often mean by good and bad areas.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Well, I don't own a small business, so I could not give a damn about business regulations in LA versus its suburbs. Perhaps you should speak from the perspective of a small business owner. I never called the cops anywhere in LA county. For that matter, I'm not regularly in the business of calling cops wherever I live.

Having set food in Culver City plenty of times, I noticed no difference in cleanliness between Venice and Culver City. I honestly preferred Venice, it had a lot of nice bars that I go to. But the thing is, just because I personally preferred Venice, I would never declare my preference the standard and declare Venice to be wonderfully better than Culver City. I know why I like Venice. I'm a bar person, I party, I am NOT AFRAID of HOMELESS people when I've LIVED in the BRONX, etc.

You sound like you're spouting right wing ideology, and you have the mindset of right winger who wants to feel safe in the suburbs, and what, avoid LA city tax? Is that what you mean by business friendly, btw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles