Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:55 PM

822 posts, read 1,283,935 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FclpYRKGL_w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennychaser11 View Post
LAUSD was excellent district until 70's(?). IMO it all started when good paying manufacturing jobs in these areas left. I recently found out there was a GM factory from 50's to early 80's in South Gate. It's surprising even in Maywood, it was not a bad area. Chrysler plant was there in the 40's or 50's(not sure when), then Ford factory in Pico Rivera. All shut down by 80's, then white flight happens and well you know the rest. Downey had aerospace industry until 2000 and it is still a good area and DUSD is MUCH better than LAUSD. When aerospace left Downey, middle/upper middle families left for OC and other new areas and what replaced them were middle class hispanics with comparable incomes. Now there is no more vacant land to expand, and people are realizing huge backyard isn't worth long commutes. Therefore people are now moving back to areas where their parents left, such as DTLA, culver city, ktown, Palms, Leimert Park and other previously 'bad' areas. And I believe most poor will eventually get kicked out of their homes and get replaced with people with money. I've been to SG many times myself and I do not feel endangered in anyway. I'm in ktown now and crime in Downey compared to some of these cities is still low.
I looked up DUSD on GreatSchools and it's still a decent district, although Warren High isn't rated as highly as Downey High.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:32 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,272 times
I grew up in Van Nuys, near Woodman & Sherman Way. Area has changed a lot since I left years ago, don't hesitate to drive through the old neighborhood more than once. Lived the first year of my life near the Coliseum on, I believe, West 50th Pl. Would be tempted to drive through during a visit to the area but have no idea of the address. No recollection of what the place looked like.

All places change over time. Enjoy your visit.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:36 PM

7 posts, read 14,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatAngMoh View Post
South Gate is most famous for being the home of Pete Ellis Dodge which may have gone out of bizness.

ahhh, not really....look up Cal Worthington and his dog spot....

Old 04-26-2015, 12:38 AM

Yes of course. Cal himself however lived not in South Gate but in Baldwin Hills.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:27 PM

As far as I know, and I no way, no how, pretend to be the expert on Cal, he never lived in Baldwin Hills -- and I Could and probably am wrong, but always thought, back in the day, he lived in the Bixby area of Long Beach???

. He did have a few ranches scattered about and he preferred to live in the country, being an old country boy as far as I knew, so I could very, very well be wrong about Bixby and Baldwin....

When I lived in Northern Nevada, he actually owned the PX Ranch, which had been owned by Bing Crosby. I had to drop by there from time to time, but never saw him. But he had ranches in Northern California, etc.

But, when it comes down to it, he was just a salesman, with no particular connection to South Gate, other than one of his first car lots was there. And, he always sponsored an entry in the SG Christmas Parade.

Now, of course, we are getting a bit off the topic of "is SG safe," but, I would say for the most part, in most areas, other than the west end, yes, SG was "safe" in Cal's day.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGXCrossCountry76 View Post
As far as I know, and I no way, no how, pretend to be the expert on Cal, he never lived in Baldwin Hills -- and I Could and probably am wrong, but always thought, back in the day, he lived in the Bixby area of Long Beach???

. He did have a few ranches scattered about and he preferred to live in the country, being an old country boy as far as I knew, so I could very, very well be wrong about Bixby and Baldwin....

When I lived in Northern Nevada, he actually owned the PX Ranch, which had been owned by Bing Crosby. I had to drop by there from time to time, but never saw him. But he had ranches in Northern California, etc.

But, when it comes down to it, he was just a salesman, with no particular connection to South Gate, other than one of his first car lots was there. And, he always sponsored an entry in the SG Christmas Parade.

Now, of course, we are getting a bit off the topic of "is SG safe," but, I would say for the most part, in most areas, other than the west end, yes, SG was "safe" in Cal's day.

Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Notable residents[edit]
Tom Bradley
Danny Elfman[20]
Ray Charles
David S. Cunningham, Jr.
Michael J. Fox
Jimmy Pardo
John Singleton
Bubba Smith
Tina Turner
Paul Williams
Nancy Wilson
Cal Worthington

Old 04-26-2015, 07:02 PM

Do not trust Wiki much anymore, but while you were posting, I was searching and found the following from the LA Times, which says he apparently did live in the Hills. In my day, the BH, at least as far as I knew, was not much, but apparently Cal did live there. As I said, I could be and WAS wrong....

Spot's Co-Star - Page 2 - latimes

Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGXCrossCountry76 View Post
Do not trust Wiki much anymore, but while you were posting, I was searching and found the following from the LA Times, which says he apparently did live in the Hills. In my day, the BH, at least as far as I knew, was not much, but apparently Cal did live there. As I said, I could be and WAS wrong....

Spot's Co-Star - Page 2 - latimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chicY4oZQ3s

I dont have any affiliation with the realtor but its not and was not a bad area.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,781 times
This post is ridiculous. Just because you put "no offense" at the end doesn't actually mean you prevent people from feeling offended. I have lived my entire life in South Central and I absolutely loved visiting my grandmother in South Gate. It is such a nice city. Yet I can't tell whether you're asking about South Gate or skid row? Ya got everything mixed up. Despite increased gang activity since the 50s, most people that are actually involved in gangs are the ones that experience gang activity (DUH). Also the inherent racism is peeking through your thread of questions. The population of south gate is no longer predominantly white, so it MUST be dangerous and you most OBVIOUSLY will get your car stolen and who knows you PROBABLY will get shanked by a local mexican or black, so stay inside your shiny car, sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles