Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:01 PM

203 posts, read 749,737 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am white, 64 and was born and raised in South Gate (1949 to 1971.)

I am now in Arizona, but am going to visit Disneyland soon, and am thinking of making a quick nostalgia side trip to visit South Gate and to see my old homestead and neighborhood, etc. (I used to live on Kauffman Avenue, two blocks from the park.)

I was wondering if it's safe to do so?

I don't intend to get out of my truck and wander around the park or the streets or anything like that, but am wondering if I may still be at risk just driving around. Is there a lot of gang activity, etc. to be concerned about? Anything like that?

Since concealed-carry is not allowed in CA, I would appreciate knowing if I should now avoid South Gate, or if it would be safe to drive around the park, see my old home, cruise Tweedy Blvd, etc?

Please know that I mean no offense to anyone, I am just trying to be cautious.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
I spent a few days at meetings in that area in July. I was there during the day. I have a nice shiny Accord and I'm pretty white. I didn't have any issues. I even went to Starbuck's there and enjoyed sitting out in the afternoon sunshine. I don't think it's the warzone you are picturing. Enjoy your visit!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
Well, it's a bit different then it was during your time. South Gate is now 95% Hispanic, only about 3% white, and has higher crime rates than the U.S. Average.
I think during the day you will be OK... just be vigilant and cautious. I wouldn't cruise around at night, and certainly wouldn't get out of my car at night.
I guarantee there is some gang activity around there.... and older white folks are a pretty convenient target for the cowardly criminals.
All that may sound negative or paranoid, and I'm sure someone will come on here bashing me or saying my advice is nonsense, but I am pretty street-smart, and am a big believer in "better safe than sorry."

Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
There's a reason a "gate" exists.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:00 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
i think the OP will be fine. quickly passing through south gate during the daytime shouldn't be an issue at all, especially if employing basic street smarts and maintaining a general awareness of one's surroundings.

i've actually driven through south gate as well as the adjacent cities and neighborhoods on several occasions - some of which are statistically far more dangerous, such as watts and compton. i'm not latino, yet i've never encountered hostility in any of these areas. i realize that a handful of brief trips during the daytime doesn't really prove anything, but for the OP's purposes, i think my experiences as a non-latino would be pretty typical.

the only person who even acknowledged my presence in south gate was a mexican-american postal worker who made small talk with me while i was standing on the sidewalk taking a few photos of the area. he was very friendly and non-threatening and jokingly asked me what i was doing in this town. when i told him i enjoy urban exploration and thought south gate would be a cool place to check out, his jaw just about hit the ground.

"i think that's the first time i ever heard anyone say that about south gate!" he exclaimed with a laugh.
"me, when i want to have fun, i just drive out to vegas!"

we shared a laugh, and before driving off, he recommended a few good taquerias in the area.

seriously, it was no big deal. i don't think you'll encounter any problems whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Roller View Post
I am white, 64 and was born and raised in South Gate (1949 to 1971.)

I am now in Arizona, but am going to visit Disneyland soon, and am thinking of making a quick nostalgia side trip to visit South Gate and to see my old homestead and neighborhood, etc. (I used to live on Kauffman Avenue, two blocks from the park.)
if you don't mind sharing, i'd love to hear what south gate was like back in the 1950s and 1960s. what are your memories of the town from that era? when did you first notice that the community was no longer 95+% non-hispanic white and that latinos were starting to become a more visible presence rather than an extreme minority? was this process already underway when you moved out in 1971, and did it happen gradually or suddenly?

Old 08-24-2013, 02:33 PM

215 posts, read 474,729 times
I'm not white, nor am I latino (I'm black and mexican american) although some folks mistake me for being white.

With that said, I have family that have lived in South Gate since the late around 1959. I spent a lot of time in the area growing up, my older brother and sister went to middle school in this city, and many of my older cousins grew up in this city and graduated high school here. I'm not as old as you, as you have me beat by 15 years. So my point is I've seen the changes in South Gate. I don't have a lot of reasons to visit so much now since most of my relatives have now much older and moved to other areas of the LA metro.

I still have an uncle, and aunt, and couple of cousins in the area. It's true most of the city is largely Latino and when I go through the area I've stopped at Starbucks and even dinned at a local cuban restaurant. Not once have I felt unsafe in the area.

In my opinion South Gate for the most part looks the same. Of course it's older now but from what I've seen of the housing stock it's been well preserved. Tweedy Blvd is still a commercial district full of businesses that seem to be doing OK. Firestone Blvd also seem to be busy as ever, and there is a huge movie entertainment complex built about 10 years ago that seem to me like it was doing okay. Holydale I haven't been to a few years, but the last time I shopped in the area it looked ok and felt pretty safe to me.

I know things happens in South Gate, but not so much that it would cause concern in my opinion since it's not that often that I hear anything. Hopefully this helps, personally wouldn't fear visiting the community.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:44 PM

215 posts, read 474,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post

if you don't mind sharing, i'd love to hear what south gate was like back in the 1950s and 1960s. what are your memories of the town from that era? when did you first notice that the community was no longer 95+% non-hispanic white and that latinos were starting to become a more visible presence rather than an extreme minority? was this process already underway when you moved out in 1971, and did it happen gradually or suddenly?
I'm not as old and I actually lived on the other side of the tracks in Watts back in the late 60's and early 70's. At that time South Gate was still mostly white and had a large middle-class blue collar mid-western feel about it. Firestone Tires and General Motors and I believe there was a Steel Company as well had a huge plant that employed thousands of workers in this town. I even remember many of the workers at Firestone taking the bus get to and from work.

Some of my relatives on my dad side who are mexican-american (not from Mexico, but orgin is Texas and New Mexico) that look white themselves moved in around 1959. My cousins said most neighbors were nice them, but some tried to run them away by burning crosses in their yards. The would wake up to go to school and see a burning cross in their yard.

I also know that South Gate did not want kids from Watts coming into their city and using their parks, and pools. You had to show proof like a untility bill to prove your residency and pay a fee to use the pool. Since we had the same last name as my uncle, we used his address, and my dad this also did this so my sister and brother could go to school in South Gate instead of in Watts. This is what I pretty much remember about this city during the 60's and 70's.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I did some work training there in the early 2000's.

I took it as a very solidly lower middle-class town en español. Crime rates listed for South Gate here on C-D are *barely* above average.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:44 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,643 times
I am a not-at-all-threatening-looking caucasian male, and never felt unsafe during my occasional treks to South Gate between 2000 and 2010. I think you'll be fine.

Really, it would be a shame if you didn't visit. You were born and raised there; South Gate lays claim to the first twenty-two years of your life. I think you deserve the chance to return and linger awhile. (And I'll even hope you run into someone you once knew and want to see again! It just might happen!)

Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
I'm not as old and I actually lived on the other side of the tracks in Watts back in the late 60's and early 70's. At that time South Gate was still mostly white and had a large middle-class blue collar mid-western feel about it. Firestone Tires and General Motors and I believe there was a Steel Company as well had a huge plant that employed thousands of workers in this town. I even remember many of the workers at Firestone taking the bus get to and from work.

Some of my relatives on my dad side who are mexican-american (not from Mexico, but orgin is Texas and New Mexico) that look white themselves moved in around 1959. My cousins said most neighbors were nice them, but some tried to run them away by burning crosses in their yards. The would wake up to go to school and see a burning cross in their yard.

I also know that South Gate did not want kids from Watts coming into their city and using their parks, and pools. You had to show proof like a untility bill to prove your residency and pay a fee to use the pool. Since we had the same last name as my uncle, we used his address, and my dad this also did this so my sister and brother could go to school in South Gate instead of in Watts. This is what I pretty much remember about this city during the 60's and 70's.
thanks for sharing your memories about south gate.

it's extremely disturbing that people in this town tried to intimidate your relatives. i realize it was a different era, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles