Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times

Advertisements

New places are opening up all the time in Westwood. Maybe it's not as lively as it once was, but it's a great place to be IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
New places are opening up all the time in Westwood. Maybe it's not as lively as it once was, but it's a great place to be IMO.
I think they mean the Westwood Village. It's so-so.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think they mean the Westwood Village. It's so-so.
Yes, I was referring to Westwood Village.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
i think the shooting in 1988 that scared all the nimbys and sheltered kids sh!tless was the deathknell
But now you see killings frequently in Hollywood and its packed with people .

I also have heard this theory of the 1988 killing but I'm wondering if it can be used as an explanation of why Westwood village isn't thriving today, over 25 years later .

Old 09-03-2013, 11:41 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
THe HOA and the subsequent police crackdown of the area in the 90's are what killed Westwood. The parties in Westwood used to be EPIC.
Bingo. They watched everything with scrutiny, and some businesses just didn't get their entitlements due to community pressure. The dull and boring Westwood of late is the design of the surrounding NIMBY's and tired old fuddy-duddies.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
BTW, remember when it was booming and on the weekends you could park at the fed building and ride a free shuttle into The Village?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:11 AM

367 posts, read 673,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

I also have heard this theory of the 1988 killing but I'm wondering if it can be used as an explanation of why Westwood village isn't thriving today, over 25 years later .
True. But people were hanging out in Hollywood in the 90s when it was far worse than today. I think it had been accepted as a sketchy place, though far far less so nowadays, and is an entertainment district because of its history and nightlife institutions. Conversely, the murder in Westwood village was unprecedented so it rattled the community.

I've also heard from a couple friends who went to UCLA that the student body is party responsible. The frat-centered social scene and high percentage of FOB Asians and other internationals isn't really conducive to nightlife in the immediate area.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Considering how anti-fun the Westside is, it's hard to believe Westwood Village was EVER happening.

It certainly wasn't during my Tour of Duty of the area ('05-'08).

Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

Frequently? There was one murder that was recent. Before that the last real "random" murder was when that crazy guy was walking up and down Vine shooting at cars.

Considering just how many people pack into Hollywood every day and night, the crime rate really isn't that high.

I do think the transit isolation of Westwood Village hurts it. Yes they have great transit to and from other areas on the Westside, but it's either an excruciatingly long drive or bus ride to that part of town from the rest of the city. And then there is just not much over there that is interesting or cannot be found elsewhere in the city, so a lot of people just don't bother going there.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
I've also heard from a couple friends who went to UCLA that the student body is party responsible. The frat-centered social scene and high percentage of FOB Asians and other internationals isn't really conducive to nightlife in the immediate area.
When I visisted I had talked to a foreign exhange student from Eastern Europe who was a bit peeved at this fellow students. He thought he was coming to America to enjoy a slice of the All American college experience, but said that he found Westwood and campus to be a snore fest. Apparently, most of his fellow classmates preferred to head to the cookie place or get a slice of Pizza at the joint across from the Hammer.

I laughed and told him that he should've become a Longhorn!

While I am sure the NIMBYs and the surrounding uppity people played a huge part in making Westwood lame, the students at UCLA are generally considered to be A-types that lack social skills (according to Trojans that is, LOL). So I can see why bars and nice places to dine do not last long.

Do NIMBYs just rule most of West LA because that side of town is sleepy as heck when the sun goes down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles