Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:39 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times

Advertisements

Glendale is very walk able as long as you don't get run over since certain drivers don't stop for stop signs or yield for pedestrians. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a crosswalk and someone in a Mercedes has sped up to get through the cross walk before I crossed. If I expected cars to stop for me in a crosswalk in Glendale I would be dead by now. Walkable, yes but just don't cross any streets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Glendale is very walk able as long as you don't get run over since certain drivers don't stop for stop signs or yield for pedestrians. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a crosswalk and someone in a Mercedes has sped up to get through the cross walk before I crossed. If I expected cars to stop for me in a crosswalk in Glendale I would be dead by now. Walkable, yes but just don't cross any streets

Well, you're right about that. My dog and I were almost run down by a police car when we were crossing the street (with the light) and driver never slowed or glanced our way, just breezed right through the light. If I had yanked my dog back to the curb, we both would have been road kill.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Glendale I think is pretty underrated , I know it's not cheap but it's a lot nicer than many parts of LA . A lot cleaner than echo park , silver lake , highland park areas and hasnt yet been discovered by the hipsters ..I think the Armenians scare them away !

You are not far from downtown , Hollywood , Los Feliz and many other cool parts of LA

If you like middle eastern food it's a Mecca for it.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:23 PM

908 posts, read 1,303,968 times
Glendale is becoming increasingly walkable but still has some work to do. The city also appears to be aiming to become more bike friendly although definitely nowhere near the level of Eagle Rock or some other areas in LA city proper.

Unfortunately, there are a number of incidents often involving elderly Armenian folks who at times are not totally aware of their surroundings or may not fully grasp pedestrian crossing rules. Had to explain to an elderly Armenian lady once that the human figure means "walk" and the hand up means "don't walk" right as she was about to walk into a busy intersection when it wasn't her turn to walk. There must be a reason why at a few major intersections, it says "Look" in English, Armenian, and Spanish on the pavement by the sidewalks. Mix this with the fact that there are a fair amount of brash drivers (to put it nicely), and you can get deadly results.

Best thing going for Glendale is it's central location. From downtown Glendale, you can get to Silver Lake/Los Feliz, Pasadena, Burbank, or Downtown LA in 15-20 minutes. But more needs to be done to make the city walking friendly.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal88 View Post
Glendale is becoming increasingly walkable but still has some work to do. The city also appears to be aiming to become more bike friendly although definitely nowhere near the level of Eagle Rock or some other areas in LA city proper.

Unfortunately, there are a number of incidents often involving elderly Armenian folks who at times are not totally aware of their surroundings or may not fully grasp pedestrian crossing rules. Had to explain to an elderly Armenian lady once that the human figure means "walk" and the hand up means "don't walk" right as she was about to walk into a busy intersection when it wasn't her turn to walk. There must be a reason why at a few major intersections, it says "Look" in English, Armenian, and Spanish on the pavement by the sidewalks. Mix this with the fact that there are a fair amount of brash drivers (to put it nicely), and you can get deadly results.

Best thing going for Glendale is it's central location. From downtown Glendale, you can get to Silver Lake/Los Feliz, Pasadena, Burbank, or Downtown LA in 15-20 minutes. But more needs to be done to make the city walking friendly.
I walked around there last week and I don't know if it's any worse than many parts of LA
I used to live in west LA and walking around there was dangerous ... Hardly anyone would stop for pedestrians

Old 04-22-2015, 01:58 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I walked around there last week and I don't know if it's any worse than many parts of LA
I used to live in west LA and walking around there was dangerous ... Hardly anyone would stop for pedestrians
For some reason people are really on an anti-Armenian roll today. Weird because I've never had any issues with them living in Hollywood or Pasadena, two areas with a higher-than-normal percentage. Perhaps they are a lot worse in Glendale?

I've walked around downtown Glendale once or twice, also had absolutely no problems and drivers seemed exactly the same there as the rest of LA.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:45 PM

Yeah I'm not sure ..I don't live in Glendale..but I feel it's one of the most livable parts of the city. I would definitely consider living there if I worked there or nearby.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:02 PM

72 posts, read 35,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
For some reason people are really on an anti-Armenian roll today. Weird because I've never had any issues with them living in Hollywood or Pasadena, two areas with a higher-than-normal percentage. Perhaps they are a lot worse in Glendale?

I've walked around downtown Glendale once or twice, also had absolutely no problems and drivers seemed exactly the same there as the rest of LA.
You must be one of the lucky ones. I grew up in Glendale, but it's much worse now. I blame it on the "new" generation, as most of the offenders are young male punks.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Glendale's a very nice city. Drivers are pretty bad, but they're pretty bad in places like Santa Monica, Brentwood, Palisades, etc. too. It's a pretty clean and orderly place with great restaurants. Much better run than L.A.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:22 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It is a lot worse because there is a higher concentration which makes them feel entitled because they feel it is their city and the rest of us just live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles