Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:18 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not here, apparently. Gelsons' parent, Arden Group, Inc, was considering selling the chain in 2013. There have been multiple store closures of Albertsons, Vons, and Fresh & Easy. Apparently Seattle-based Haggen is going to try opening here, occupying some of the closed Fresh & Easy stores. Haggen grocery chain begins rollout of new markets in Southland - LA Times
Gelsons is still profitable. Gelsons was sold to TPG in 2013. Gelsons plans to expand the chain to San Diego and the south bay of los Angeles. The gelsons near me in Encino is always packed with shoppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not here, apparently. Gelsons' parent, Arden Group, Inc, was considering selling the chain in 2013. There have been multiple store closures of Albertsons, Vons, and Fresh & Easy. Apparently Seattle-based Haggen is going to try opening here, occupying some of the closed Fresh & Easy stores. Haggen grocery chain begins rollout of new markets in Southland - LA Times
I wonder how Haagen will do here in southern California??

Old 04-06-2015, 08:26 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
I drive from Ventura to the 99 Ranch in Van Nuys. I wish they'd open one closer! Oxnard would be perfect for drawing in the Asians from there, UCSB, and the Westlake area. Probably still not enough business, though, to be honest. Maybe if they got enough Hispanics with the fish market...

Wishful thinking. Right up there with ever seeing an Aldi in the 805.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I drive from Ventura to the 99 Ranch in Van Nuys. I wish they'd open one closer! Oxnard would be perfect for drawing in the Asians from there, UCSB, and the Westlake area. Probably still not enough business, though, to be honest. Maybe if they got enough Hispanics with the fish market...

Sprouts I know plans to open up stores in Camarillo,Oxnard and Ventura. Also sprouts wants to expand to Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. Gelsons won't open up a store between Westlake and Santa Barbara. I know whole foods opened up in Oxnard.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:

The Ralph's market on Victoria avenue north of the 101 freeway in Ventura is a nice market as well.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:

That's quite a drive for a super market!

Just curious , do you drive all the way there just to go to that market ? Or do you do other things while you are in the area?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:04 PM

362 posts, read 543,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
It's very true. Traditional supermarkets struggle in ethnic areas for some reason.
Maybe it's because of the high prices and tasteless produce.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true. Kroger, the largest national supermarket and Ralph's parent, is very profitable and growing quickly. In fact they have record profits. Whole Foods is growing even quicker. Traders Joes is doing well. Harris Teeter (in the South) is doing well. Wegmans (in the North) is doing even better. Gelsons does well.
Not going to disagree since I have no data to back me up... but from anecdotal obsersation, it seems like the mainstream American supermarket chains are always merging and closing stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Will be interesting to see what the Haggen stores will be like.

When I was in Florida I went to an Aldi, i was curious as we don't have them in L.A . It's owned by the same company as Trader Joes and there were some similarities to trader joes, but definately more a less expensive version. It was funny to see all of the generic store brands that they came up with. Chips ,granola bars, cereal ,etc. The brands were clearly knockoffs of the bigger brands. Prices were very cheap though.
There's a Haggen in Diamond Bar if you are dying to experience it. I drove by it a couple weeks ago... looks upscale-ish from the outside.

A couple years ago, Aldi was supposed to open its first store in the LA region in West Covina, where there was I think a Ralphs or Albertsons. It's still not there yet, so I don't know if it's going to happen.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
Not always

Old 04-06-2015, 10:05 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post

But the problem w some of these 626 chinese stores is the freshness/quality of the produce or meats (a place that smells like a dead animal doesnt seem to be the cleanest place to buy meat and fish).

I typically just shop at Ralphs and load up on which ever meat/produce/item is on sale that week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles