Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 05:48 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times

Advertisements

In West Hills,CA in the fallbrook mall there is a ralphs,sprouts and a trader joes. The ralphs at fallbrook mall is very very busy and was just renovated. In woodland hills the ralphs fresh fare at topanga and ventura which is next to a sprouts a two blocks away from a whole foods is being gutted out and renovated.

In downtown LA there a a newish ralphs fresh fare that is always busy.

In Sherman Oaks at ventura and hazelteen ralphs tore down an old store and built a new store from the ground up.

I myself prefer Gelsons or Sprouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:22 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Ralphs seems to be closing many of their stores lately, some to become Smart and Final stores.
99 Ranch Market to replace Ralphs on East Main Street | Alhambra Source

Old 04-06-2015, 06:50 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Traditional mainstream American supermarkets have been on the decline for a while.
Not true. Kroger, the largest national supermarket and Ralph's parent, is very profitable and growing quickly. In fact they have record profits. Whole Foods is growing even quicker. Traders Joes is doing well. Harris Teeter (in the South) is doing well. Wegmans (in the North) is doing even better. Gelsons does well.

The reason this supermarket is closing is probably tied to the ethnic changes. Mainstream supermarkets probably don't work very well in Chinese ethnoburbs.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:55 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true. Kroger, the largest national supermarket and Ralph's parent, is very profitable and growing quickly. In fact they have record profits. Whole Foods is growing even quicker. Traders Joes is doing well. Harris Teeter (in the South) is doing well. Wegmans (in the North) is doing even better. Gelsons does well.

The reason this supermarket is closing is probably tied to the ethnic changes. Mainstream supermarkets probably don't work very well in Chinese ethnoburbs.
It's very true. Traditional supermarkets struggle in ethnic areas for some reason.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:22 PM

26,716 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not true. Kroger, the largest national supermarket and Ralph's parent, is very profitable and growing quickly. In fact they have record profits. Whole Foods is growing even quicker. Gelsons does well.
Not here, apparently. Gelsons' parent, Arden Group, Inc, was considering selling the chain in 2013. There have been multiple store closures of Albertsons, Vons, and Fresh & Easy. Apparently Seattle-based Haggen is going to try opening here, occupying some of the closed Fresh & Easy stores. http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...325-story.html

Old 04-06-2015, 07:27 PM

490 posts, read 659,828 times
Prefer Pavilions or Ralph's myself, sprouts is okay too. I hate Trader Joes!

Old 04-06-2015, 07:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Will be interesting to see what the Haggen stores will be like.

When I was in Florida I went to an Aldi, i was curious as we don't have them in L.A . It's owned by the same company as Trader Joes and there were some similarities to trader joes, but definately more a less expensive version. It was funny to see all of the generic store brands that they came up with. Chips ,granola bars, cereal ,etc. The brands were clearly knockoffs of the bigger brands. Prices were very cheap though.

I liked fresh and easy in a way , but there was always something kind of off with it. Prices weren't that great too. It was pretty easy to find things though versus ralphs.

I wasn't too impressed with too much of the 'grab and go' /prepared stuff versus trader joes though. The quality just didn't seem to be there.

I remember sometimes they would have some amazingly cheap stuff on clearance though later in the day..but that was hit or miss.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I wonder when 99 Ranch will be coming to the west side...
I used to love 99 Ranch and still go on rare occasion. Then I discovered H Mart in Irvine. My love for 99 Ranch died a little that day.

When I go to LA, I always stop at Jon's Market. It has great Armenian/near East/Eastern European and Russian foods. The Persian markets here are starting to seriously wean me off of Jon's market though.

I agree with Jim though, Sprouts and Costco form the bulk of my shopping. What is left is "extras" that likely an ethnic market can serve...or a Gelsons/Ralphs/Vons type of store with the occasional Whole Foods or TJ visit.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:10 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Kind of POed that our 99 ranch closed. best place for cheap and fresh seafood

Old 04-06-2015, 08:12 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Kind of POed that our 99 ranch closed. best place for cheap and fresh seafood
Yeah the Fountain Valley one closed, but there are two in Irvine (only one is worth going to).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles