Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
But the problem w some of these 626 chinese stores is the freshness/quality of the produce or meats (a place that smells like a dead animal doesnt seem to be the cleanest place to buy meat and fish).

I typically just shop at Ralphs and load up on which ever meat/produce/item is on sale that week.
I don't blame you. At least Ralph's is clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
westside to the van nuys store perhaps.
The Garden store would probably be an easier drive.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Good riddance Ralphs. Especially this location.

Oh Publix, how I miss thee! (originally from Florida)

Old 04-07-2015, 02:28 PM

362 posts, read 543,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
But the problem w some of these 626 chinese stores is the freshness/quality of the produce or meats (a place that smells like a dead animal doesnt seem to be the cleanest place to buy meat and fish).

I typically just shop at Ralphs and load up on which ever meat/produce/item is on sale that week.
This made me laugh. Our Siberian Husky eats raw meat. When we first adopted him (12 years ago), I used to buy his food at Hawaii Supermarket in San Gabriel. The smell of the market was so foul that I refused to breathe through my nose while I shopped. I now shop for most of our food (his included) at Super King. It smells much better.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:46 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Will be interesting to see what the Haggen stores will be like.

When I was in Florida I went to an Aldi, i was curious as we don't have them in L.A . It's owned by the same company as Trader Joes and there were some similarities to trader joes, but definately more a less expensive version. It was funny to see all of the generic store brands that they came up with. Chips ,granola bars, cereal ,etc. The brands were clearly knockoffs of the bigger brands. Prices were very cheap though.

I liked fresh and easy in a way , but there was always something kind of off with it. Prices weren't that great too. It was pretty easy to find things though versus ralphs.

I wasn't too impressed with too much of the 'grab and go' /prepared stuff versus trader joes though. The quality just didn't seem to be there.

I remember sometimes they would have some amazingly cheap stuff on clearance though later in the day..but that was hit or miss.
The first Aldi's to open in the Greater L.A. area will be up in Palmdale. My brother lives out there and I saw the announcement in a city flyer they send out. They just opened a Haggen's out there too, back in March, and I went when it first opened on one of my weekend visits.

I wasn't that impressed with Haggen's, to be honest. I was expecting a Whole Foods-like environment and it looked/felt like a slightly polished Albertson's. They did have a nice seafood selection, though.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Oh ok interesting. I was definitely was impressed with the Aldi prices, seemed a lot lower overall than any of the markets in L.A, I didn't buy anything there so I don't know how the quality of their store brands are though.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:45 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post
This made me laugh. Our Siberian Husky eats raw meat. When we first adopted him (12 years ago), I used to buy his food at Hawaii Supermarket in San Gabriel. The smell of the market was so foul that I refused to breathe through my nose while I shopped. I now shop for most of our food (his included) at Super King. It smells much better.
I'm surprised people travel that far to go to Super King, but that parking lot is always PACKED.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:47 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
The best Super King is the one in Claremont... that one is awesome. Clean and modern.

The Super King near the LA River is meh--kind of dirty, kind of dingy. Parking at that one is a nightmare too.

There's a new one near Van Nuys or so... gotta take a look at that one.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:40 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
The first Aldi's to open in the Greater L.A. area will be up in Palmdale. My brother lives out there and I saw the announcement in a city flyer they send out. They just opened a Haggen's out there too, back in March, and I went when it first opened on one of my weekend visits.

I wasn't that impressed with Haggen's, to be honest. I was expecting a Whole Foods-like environment and it looked/felt like a slightly polished Albertson's. They did have a nice seafood selection, though.

I'm curious to check out a haagen. I wonder I'd haagen will stay in bussiness in southern California

Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 PM

362 posts, read 543,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I'm surprised people travel that far to go to Super King, but that parking lot is always PACKED.
So true! I'm actually much closer now that I'm in the San Rafael area. The prices and produce are worth the drive; and going before nine o'clock definitely helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles