Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,085 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm trying to get opinions on the best area of Long Beach to rent an apartment. I lived in the LBC before when I studied for my undergrad at CSU Long Beach however I never ventured too far beyond Ximeno. I'm not moving back to Long Beach for my new job and I'm setting my rent budget at no more than $1000 a month. If I feel safe and the area is nice, maybe I'd spend more for the safety. I will say the city has changed a lot since I graduated in 1993. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 04:28 PM

426 posts, read 423,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMP Coming to LBC View Post
best area of Long Beach....my rent budget $1000 .....safe....
How many roommates can you handle? It's either ghetto or roommates at your budget.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:31 AM

59 posts, read 86,998 times
Los Altos. Basically the area from north of CSULB to Lakewood in the NE part of the city. Not cheap but less expensive than Belmont Shore.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
I have a friend who recently moved to Long Beach to pursue his residency at a local hospital. He found a decent one bedroom apartment in the Bixby Knolls part of town. I understand his rent isn't too bad. You may want to check out Bixby Knolls.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:04 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,628,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
How many roommates can you handle? It's either ghetto or roommates at your budget.
This isn't necessarily true. Basically anything south/east of the traffic circle is fine and lots of the stuff between Junipero and the traffic circle is ok. This isn't the days anymore of armys of crack ho's walking PCH from the 710 to Redondo.

And of course Bixby Knolls...and Lakewood as well.

OP, your budget may be pushing it but I'll bet you can find something around that price range if you work at it.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 PM

52,251 posts, read 52,668,250 times
You can probably rent a room for that kind of money, you may get lucky and find something really small in terms of an apartment.

As others have said, anything east of Redondo you can't go too wrong with. The better parts are nearer the ocean and near CSULB.

The west and north sides of LB are crappy, downtown is ok, but you go a few blocks north of DT and it's dodgy, even DT can be a bit dodgy, but pine street and the pike areas are great.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:11 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times
Bixby and Bixby Knolls. Also California heights.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:06 AM

71 posts, read 111,747 times
I really love bixby knolls and California heights.. Bixby knolls may have apartments in your price range and the area is absolutely lovely.. People always seem to suggest belmont shore, alamitos beach, bluff heights, east village and DT.. But to me, these areas are definitely a bit more on the ghetto side than either bixby knolls or California heights.. Those other areas all are in very close proximity to crime ridden areas and the boundaries overlap.. Great for visiting, but not to live there. Every so often, you encounter a homeless crackhead or hooker especially on 4th St.. And of course, DT has a ton of homeless..The vibe seems off to me in an uncomfortable way when i go visit these areas despite their rapid gentrification.. With bixby knolls and California heights, you basically have del amo Blvd and the police station and scherer park which sit just south of del amo on atlantic.. So there is a boundary that definitely separates the ghetto north from bixby knolls, Virginia country club, California heights and los cerritos.. There is virtually no homeless or crackheads in these areas..They are quieter and more ideal as places of residence than the southernmost parts of LB which tend to rub shoulders with the ghetto surrounding areas just north and west of them..

Last edited by shapeshift; 08-16-2015 at 12:19 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 02:55 PM

4 posts, read 6,085 times
Dear friends:

Thank you for your kind replies. First off, as much as a roommate would be nice, I'm a little uncomfortable with the sharing of costs especially if the roommate isn't financially stable. Based on my initial search on Craigslist, I'm thinking $1000 should be doable and keep me out of "shady" areas of the south. I've seem to be hearing that a perimeter of PCH to the north, Ocean to the south, Alamitos to the west, and Redondo to the east is not bad and affordable too. I'm sure no matter where I settle I'll have to take the good with the bad. All replies were appreciated and will be taken into consideration. Looking forward to hearing some more.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:13 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithM7 View Post
Los Altos. Basically the area from north of CSULB to Lakewood in the NE part of the city. Not cheap but less expensive than Belmont Shore.
Shhhhhhhhhh .... don't tell anyone ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles