Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:23 PM

15 posts, read 16,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Have you visited Los Angeles multiple times for long periods of time?
Nope,not multiple times, only once and it was for 3 days only, but I didn't get to see much of LA, I've seen a small part of Downtown, the Venice Beach and Santa Monica ... and I absolutely loved the vibe and the feeling of this areas(except the overpopulated amount of the homeless people on the Venice beach of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Actually the winter isn't that cold in the bay area. It never snows but the summers are too cold for me.
yeah I know I've been in SF during the summer it's really cold and foggy...

Quote:
Sacramento area has hot summers and mild winters. It never snows.
the snow it's not an issue, I can go to the Mountains for skiing/snowboarding weekends or day trips when needed to and I could see snow over there when I want to ...

but it's raining a lot in the winter, no ??

Cause I know a friend of mine who lives in Palo Alto told me that there's like a month or so of constant rain in February ...

Quote:
We weren't talking about villages. California is a big state with lots of cities. I personally live in a suburb of Sacramento with a population over 150k. I am in the process of moving to LA area and the cost of housing difference is insane.
I said about the small villages for a better understanding that I love the city feel/vibe but not that much like in NYC ... I grew up in an European Country's Capital with population around 750k people, so a small-town with like you've mentioned 150k people it's not so bad for me, and I was thinking about maybe live somewhere in a suburb of LA so that when I need to go "party-hard" on a weekend for example and get a drink(and not drive) I could still grab a cab and get home pretty quick if needed...

Quote:
What are your requirements? Do you plan on having a family? Are you outdoorsy?, Do you want to be near the beach?, etc..

that's a good question(or actually questions) ...

I guess the requirements are:

1) relatively quiet area DEFINITELY NOT Gang/Ghetto style areas... I mean don't get me wrong guys, I'm NOT TRYING TO BE RACIST or something , just looking for a SAFE AREA to live in ...

2) rent price around $1500-2500($3000 top) ...

3) Parking spot for a car(cause the parking problem is killing me here in NYC, my car got hit(and run) several times while just parked in front of my apartment) ...

4) I love the beach but it is not a priority thing, a 30-40 minutes drive should be just fine ...

5) Family yeah, we are planning a baby but not right away , maybe in a few years after we move to LA and are completely accommodated as well...

6) Outdoorsy ?? Yeah, maybe ... I mean I love going out very much(Clubs, Restaurants/Caffe, Concerts/Shows, Cinemas, maybe that's why I want to be close to the City if not in the City),

but then I don't get much time for that,

Usually I get home after work and I like to just sit home, relax and write/produce my music, or play the PS4, or watch some movies/series on Netflix, or go to the GYM, but I would definitely want to have a nice place or two where I could take my friends and go out if someone comes by ...

7) maybe a park around the corner or a few blocks away would be nice... or a backyard or at least a balcony would be nice too (trust me after living in NYC's apartments like boxes, even a balcony would make me very happy)...

8) and of course the weather it's very important to me, but I guess this could be excluded since the weather in SoCal is just perfect for me after the life in NYC ...

Basically we're looking for a place where to start our life in LA and maybe later on to buy a house when we decide with the neighborhood ...

I mean that's all that came to my mind as of right now .... but if you could tell me from your point of view what are the Cons and Pros of your life in CA that'd be great and much appreciated and maybe then I could tell you more specifics ...

As usually guys and girls, THANKS A LOT FOR ANY ADVICE/INPUT you have ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 08:02 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,803,611 times
OP, you've only spent a total of three days in Los Angeles, and you're already looking to move here?

I suggest you spend much more time here, and anywhere else you're thinking of moving to before you actually move. Three days are nowhere near enough, especially in Los Angeles.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:10 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,843,802 times
Quote:
OP, you've only spent a total of three days in Los Angeles, and you're already looking to move here?

I suggest you spend much more time here, and anywhere else you're thinking of moving to before you actually move. Three days are nowhere near enough, especially in Los Angeles.
I spent 1 day here when I came for a job interview and got the job and decided to move. That was 10 years ago. While I am not in love with LA and hope to get out of here soon, I have lasted 10 years without having spent any time here before relocating. I also moved to Northern Virginia for a year after only spending one day there for an interview. Obviously I left there after a year but I didn't hate it and if my life situation was different at the time I may have stayed. I also moved to the Bay Area when I was 22 without ever visiting. I showed up not knowing anything about the place and lived there for a year and had a great time. I think having a job lined up is more important than visiting. No matter how many vacations you take it'll never be the same as living there. I have spent months visiting and or working in NYC, Austin, Portland, Vancouver and Montreal and I wouldn't pretend that gives me the same experience as living there would

Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,803,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I spent 1 day here when I came for a job interview and got the job and decided to move. That was 10 years ago. While I am not in love with LA and hope to get out of here soon, I have lasted 10 years without having spent any time here before relocating. I also moved to Northern Virginia for a year after only spending one day there for an interview. Obviously I left there after a year but I didn't hate it and if my life situation was different at the time I may have stayed. I also moved to the Bay Area when I was 22 without ever visiting. I showed up not knowing anything about the place and lived there for a year and had a great time. I think having a job lined up is more important than visiting. No matter how many vacations you take it'll never be the same as living there. I have spent months visiting and or working in NYC, Austin, Portland, Vancouver and Montreal and I wouldn't pretend that gives me the same experience as living there would
And you sure do complain about Los Angeles a lot, and seem unhappy here. You've actually made my point, no matter how long you've lasted.

Visiting, then lining up a job... That's my order of importance.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:

Yes sir ... I've been there only for 3 days, but I was constantly reading here and on different forums about it ...

and I don't see what's the big deal about it... When I first move to NY I've never been there before and I spent 7 years here... and to be honest I love it , it is just that it's too much and I don't want my kids to grow up in such place...

Quote:

Totally agreed ... A vacation is a vacation , and living there it's an absolutely different experience ...

if it would be just to visit NYC then I would be IN LOVE with it, but living here it's just too much for me ... too much stress ...

In my opinion to live here you must be either very rich or the opposite(very poor so you could get all the benefits that the government offers you for free like food stamps, free medical insurance, and etc)

it's not a city for the middle class I think... And I'm pretty sure that if it would be to buy a house it would be much cheaper to get it in LA then in NY (of course depends on what kind of house) ...

And the weather it's my main concern here in NYC ...

Ok, so back on the topic,

HOW MUCH DO YOU SPEND FOR THE COMMUTE TO WORK AND BACK ... ???

BUMP ...

Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,819,653 times
I've had 90-120 minute daily commutes. Also had 10 minute ones.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:33 PM

I mean I could just google it from a point A to point B in Google Maps during the rush hours but I wanted to hear it from the people that actually live there ... thanks again guys for your responses ...

And also

PLEASE SHARE YOUR CONS AND PROS ABOUT LA HERE TOO ...

I would really appreciate that ...

Old 01-12-2016, 10:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,091,365 times
The (San Fernando) Valley would probably be a good area for you to explore. The buildings are mostly low-rise so it will seem a lot more spacious than NY, many apartments have balconies and they almost always have assigned parking, much of the area is safe (except for the northeast corner area), the beach is accessible via Topanga Canyon, Hollywood and the LA basin via Laurel Canyon and the 101 freeway, there are parks, hiking in the hills, nightclubs, shopping, and in your price range. You could even afford an apartment complex with a pool, fitness center, private washer/dryer, etc. like this (example) for the full SoCal experience:

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ca...woodland-hills

Old 01-12-2016, 11:54 PM

671 posts, read 1,194,249 times
You would need to add at least an hour or two when your Metrolink commuter train locomotive breaks down . They are adding BNSF locos for "safety" reasons, but it will also make the trains more reliable. The first delivery of nearly 30 new locos is set for later this year.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,707,961 times
Quote:

Agree, I visited 3 times before making the move. And this was over the course of two years.

Quote:
Yes, but you don't like it here. Perhaps if you had come out and spent some time first you would have said "no thanks". I also wouldn't remain anywhere for 10 years I didn't like. I wouldn't stay 5 years in a place I didn't like, and no a career isn't reason enough.

Only two reasons you do that 1) you're divorced with minor children and you can't leave the state if you want joint custody 2) you have a sick or elderly family member and you're doing caregiving and they can't be moved.

I had a boss years ago who disliked Southern CA, but a nasty divorce and a 5 year old kept them here, they wanted to go live in Virginia, but couldn't leave the state. Funny thing is they're still here and the child is now 25.

Quote:
And you sure do complain about Los Angeles a lot, and seem unhappy here. You've actually made my point, no matter how long you've lasted.

Visiting, then lining up a job... That's my order of importance.
Exactly. A job isn't going to matter much when you don't like where you're living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles