Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 PM

15 posts, read 16,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
The (San Fernando) Valley would probably be a good area for you to explore. The buildings are mostly low-rise so it will seem a lot more spacious than NY, many apartments have balconies and they almost always have assigned parking, much of the area is safe (except for the northeast corner area), the beach is accessible via Topanga Canyon, Hollywood and the LA basin via Laurel Canyon and the 101 freeway, there are parks, hiking in the hills, nightclubs, shopping, and in your price range. You could even afford an apartment complex with a pool, fitness center, private washer/dryer, etc. like this (example) for the full SoCal experience:

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/ca...woodland-hills
thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated, YES that's kinda what we're looking for, I will look more into it and thanks a lot for the link, also yeah forgot to mention that a pool, fitness center and washer/dryer in an apartment complex is an important thing that will be considered as a huge plus, as we don't have none of this here in NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
You would need to add at least an hour or two when your Metrolink commuter train locomotive breaks down . They are adding BNSF locos for "safety" reasons, but it will also make the trains more reliable. The first delivery of nearly 30 new locos is set for later this year.
Thanks for the response I probably forgot to mention we won't use the public transportation we have a car and I'm planning on getting another one for my wife once we arrive to CA ...

BTW guys how bad is the car insurance in LA ?? 'cause for example I pay in NY $360/month for a full coverage on a VW Passat 2012 and that's considered low price in NYC area( some Nissan Maximas2012 or Toyota Camrys would cost me around $600-700/month and that's exactly why I got the VW Passat 'cause it was the lowest price)

As Usually THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR INPUT GUYS ...

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, SHARE YOUR CONS AND PROS ABOUT LA HERE TOO ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 05:01 PM

286 posts, read 296,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Yes. I should've excluded the bay area. I live in Sacramento and I love it. There are lots of smaller cities too.

what do you like about sacramento, that is one of the cities i have interest in

is there suburbs of sacramento with rent under 1200?

Old 01-15-2016, 05:40 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,761,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriss92 View Post
what do you like about sacramento, that is one of the cities i have interest in

is there suburbs of sacramento with rent under 1200?
I have no idea about rent as I am a homeowner. The area I live in has lots of parks which is great to raise a family. I love the sunny weather but it does get a little too hot in the summer. You can get a nice house in the 300's. Similar houses in LA area are over 900k. Traffic isn't too bad.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:48 PM

Bump

Old 01-27-2016, 10:30 PM

BTW guys how bad is the car insurance in LA ?? 'cause for example I pay in NY $360/month for a full coverage on a VW Passat 2012 and that's considered low price in NYC area( some Nissan Maximas2012 or Toyota Camrys would cost me around $600-700/month and that's exactly why I got the VW Passat 'cause it was the lowest price)

As Usually THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR INPUT GUYS ...

Old 01-30-2016, 11:28 PM

I guess the thread "What do you like about Los Angeles?" explains everything I needed, sorry guys for not paying attention to this...

Old 01-31-2016, 07:20 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,819,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaDdY View Post

Bump
Cons:
High cost of housing, gas, utilities, amount of people, amount of cars, tourist.

Pros:
Property appreciation, high cost of housing, weather, diversity, tourist, things to do, Welfare state, high taxes, a lot of people, jobs, opportunity for those that can hustle (in a good way)

Old 02-02-2016, 08:07 PM

296 posts, read 248,448 times
It seems like for home owners, 1-2 hours seems normal, but most home owners I know are on the lower end around 1 to 1.5 hours. 2+ hours is considered to be "long." Renters (like me), usually have shorter commutes, since it's much cheaper to rent in L.A metro vs. buying. My commute is 20 miles round trip. I drive into Downtown L.A and it takes me about 35-45 minutes each way.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:43 PM

556 posts, read 765,483 times
My commute is an hour each way. Most people at my company tend to commute between 30 and 40 minutes each way (annectodally). I paid about $220 a month for pretty good coverage from Wawanesa but that was for a 2008 Honda Fit and a 2013 Subaru Outback. If you paid $360 for one car, that seems steep. However, in Denver, for the cars, I'm paying about $115 a month with the exact same coverage through Amica.

The pros of living in LA
It's warm pretty much all year long
There are beaches nearby and there are mountains nearby
There is a lot to do and pretty much anything you could be in to has a group with other people interested in the same thing
The LA Kings are wonderful

The cons of living in LA
Its expensive (although relatively inexpensive as compared to NYC I would imagine)
Traffic is awful and commutes are long
It's overcrowded
The air quality is awful
Generally speaking, the public schools are awful
Property taxes are high
Sales tax is high
Income tax is high
Public transportation is virtually non-existent given the size of the city (which is pretty much why it's non-existent)
Raider fans still live here

Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 PM

933 posts, read 1,074,048 times
The statement that LA public transportation is non-existent is so cliche and 20 years ago. The LA area has multiple train metro train lines, a commuter rail system and probably the most extensive bus system in the country. You just have to choose wisely where you live to make it more useful. The people that say it's bad probably have never tried it. BTW, I'm a regular user.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles