Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 PM

556 posts, read 764,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
The statement that LA public transportation is non-existent is so cliche and 20 years ago. The LA area has multiple train metro train lines, a commuter rail system and probably the most extensive bus system in the country. You just have to choose wisely where you live to make it more useful. The people that say it's bad probably have never tried it. BTW, I'm a regular user.
Ok, get me from Torrance to Northridge using public transportation in a manner that doesn't take a stupid amount of time. How about from Pasadena to Huntington Beach?

There are busses and yes trains, but because LA is so big there will pretty much never be a meaningful public transportation system. It's not cliche. It's fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 06:46 AM

22 posts, read 14,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Ok, get me from Torrance to Northridge using public transportation in a manner that doesn't take a stupid amount of time. How about from Pasadena to Huntington Beach?

There are busses and yes trains, but because LA is so big there will pretty much never be a meaningful public transportation system. It's not cliche. It's fact.

You missed "You just have to choose wisely where you live to make it more useful"

Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 AM

556 posts, read 764,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1999 View Post
You missed "You just have to choose wisely where you live to make it more useful"
If I have to choose specific places to live in order to use the public transportation system, that means it's still not very good.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:55 AM

958 posts, read 1,149,252 times
Why on earth do you think that moving to LA is somehow "getting away from the rat race? Seriously?

Also you do realize that your rental range means you will be living in a ghetto? Current angelenos if im wrong on the rental market, please correct me.. but his range seems a little low to live in a good area?

Plus, average commuting time is meaningless: find a job, then find a home near your job. Pretty simple formula and those who follow it seem much happier to me than those who dont in a place like LA.

Follow this simple traffic formula: driving more than five miles to work at rush hour times= suck.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:55 PM

296 posts, read 246,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaDdY View Post

I guess the requirements are:

1) relatively quiet area DEFINITELY NOT Gang/Ghetto style areas... I mean don't get me wrong guys, I'm NOT TRYING TO BE RACIST or something , just looking for a SAFE AREA to live in ...

2) rent price around $1500-2500($3000 top) ...

3) Parking spot for a car(cause the parking problem is killing me here in NYC, my car got hit(and run) several times while just parked in front of my apartment) ...

4) I love the beach but it is not a priority thing, a 30-40 minutes drive should be just fine ...

5) Family yeah, we are planning a baby but not right away , maybe in a few years after we move to LA and are completely accommodated as well...
$1500 to $2500. That's a pretty wide range. It shouldn't be hard to find a decent one bedroom apartment on that budget.

For urban living, I think Santa Monica is the premier location in LA, just like Manhattan is for NYC or San Francisco for the Bay Area.

Santa Monica would probably be at or above your max budget, so I would look at West LA, the area just east of Santa Monica. Also, the areas immediately south of Santa Monica. (Venice/Culver City).

Old 02-04-2016, 10:50 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,664,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Why on earth do you think that moving to LA is somehow "getting away from the rat race? Seriously?

Also you do realize that your rental range means you will be living in a ghetto? Current angelenos if im wrong on the rental market, please correct me.. but his range seems a little low to live in a good area?

Plus, average commuting time is meaningless: find a job, then find a home near your job. Pretty simple formula and those who follow it seem much happier to me than those who dont in a place like LA.

Follow this simple traffic formula: driving more than five miles to work at rush hour times= suck.
You're wrong. His range is fine.

Do you think one bedrooms are going for $3,000 a month? Maybe in Malibu.

I have a family member renting a nice two bed/two bath in Burbank for $1,700 total. Nice building, no pool and carport parking, but it's a large apt in a quiet building with about 20 units.

I would say Burbank is nice area.

Why does someone who doesn't even live here start making blanket statements about rents and "ghetto" areas?

Old 02-04-2016, 03:39 PM

296 posts, read 246,982 times
In L.A, any 1 bedroom apartment that's under $1000/month is probably in a high crime rate area. The decent areas start at around $1500/month. I've seen studio apartments in better areas for under $1000/month. The studio apartments I saw at those prices were tiny and raggedy looking to me though. I guess it's the price some are willing to pay to live in a hip neighborhood!

Old 02-04-2016, 08:17 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,655,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
If I have to choose specific places to live in order to use the public transportation system, that means it's still not very good.
^^This. The undeniable fact is that the city/metro area is just spread over too wide an area and too densely populated (so buses have to share roads with oodles of cars, and trains have stops every 1/2 mile). The new Expo line is supposed to take 45 minutes to get from downtown to SM!

Old 02-05-2016, 06:39 AM

958 posts, read 1,149,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're wrong. His range is fine.

Do you think one bedrooms are going for $3,000 a month? Maybe in Malibu.

I have a family member renting a nice two bed/two bath in Burbank for $1,700 total. Nice building, no pool and carport parking, but it's a large apt in a quiet building with about 20 units.

I would say Burbank is nice area.

Why does someone who doesn't even live here start making blanket statements about rents and "ghetto" areas?
yes, sorry. i was confusing it with a different thread where someone had a range of 1200 to 1500. Lived there for 20 years.... and im guessing that under 1500 these days would probably get you in a bad neighborhood. Or at least not the kind of neighborhood that most "california dreamers" picture as where theyll be living.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:40 PM

15 posts, read 16,583 times
Well, thanks a lot Everybody !!!

That really-really helps ...

and now I'm even more sure that I wanna move to a LA, after all you describe here guys, my guess is that after the NYC life I will slip right into it, I see in LA it's kinda the same Cons as NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Cons:
High cost of housing, gas, utilities, amount of people, amount of cars, tourist.

... and will try to reconsider the price range maybe I should pay a little more for the "safety" and look more into the $1800-3000 range I guess ...

thanks guys for the quotes and pricings... and I was thinking yeah either Burbank or Pasadena, Or Santa Monica maybe(but way to overpriced area I think), Venice Beach or smf like that ... That's kinda what I'm looking for...

About the transportation we'll be driving for start and then I was thinking about getting a Motorcycle since it's always sunny and nice outside, and is gonna be less traffic on the motorcycle I think(just saying that's an option too) ... or I could drive to a metro station if it's more convenient and leave the car parked and take the train from there if it's much faster this way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles