Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 09:10 AM

203 posts, read 199,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
There have been very few Asian and Hispanic players in the history of the NFL. In general they are too undersized to be successful in the NFL. The best Asian of all time was probably Dat Nguyen who was a great linebacker in college and played for the Cowboys for a few years but was never a star like he was in college. The greatest Hispanic player of all time is Anthony Munoz who is a hall of fame tackle that played for the Bengals in the 80s and 90s. Most of the other Hispanic players have been place kickers and Mark Sanchez. Hines Ward from the Steelers was half korean and half black so if you want to count him as Asian he would be the greatest Asian player of all time. But I don't think there is a single current Asian player

I think Tony Gonzalez may take exception to that statement,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
Oh yeah, forgot about him. Munoz was the first Hispanic hall of famer but Gonzalez will definitely be joining him

Old 01-14-2016, 03:00 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
Quote:
There have been very few Asian and Hispanic players in the history of the NFL. In general they are too undersized to be successful in the NFL. The best Asian of all time was probably Dat Nguyen who was a great linebacker in college and played for the Cowboys for a few years but was never a star like he was in college. The greatest Hispanic player of all time is Anthony Munoz who is a hall of fame tackle that played for the Bengals in the 80s and 90s. Most of the other Hispanic players have been place kickers and Mark Sanchez. Hines Ward from the Steelers was half korean and half black so if you want to count him as Asian he would be the greatest Asian player of all time. But I don't think there is a single current Asian player
I'd go with (LA native and 6x 1st team All-pro) Tony Gonzalez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
Sorry, didn't see this. Yeah, what he said.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:09 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,419,527 times
According to most rumors, the Chargers move to LA is imminent. Makes sens3--surely they've alienated the hell out of their fanbase with their relocation plans. They wouldn't draw flies in San Diego at this point.

So much for the NFL being blase about the Los Angeles market--they're getting exactly what they wanted; two teams in the 2nd largest market. I've always hated the Chargers, so their arrival would be perfect from an inter-city rivalry perspective.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
According to most rumors, the Chargers move to LA is imminent. Makes sens3--surely they've alienated the hell out of their fanbase with their relocation plans. They wouldn't draw flies in San Diego at this point.

So much for the NFL being blase about the Los Angeles market--they're getting exactly what they wanted; two teams in the 2nd largest market. I've always hated the Chargers, so their arrival would be perfect from an inter-city rivalry perspective.
Chargers fans are idiots if that is the case. The reason the Chargers are going to be moving is because the city is not willing to do enough to get a new stadium built. And their current stadium is like a Division III college stadium. It was good enough for a while but now that every team has mega stadium/entertainment/retail/dining complexes it just won't cut it. So Chargers fans should be mad at their city politicians not the team. But they are guaranteed to be moving so fans aren't going to support a team that they know is leaving.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I'd go with (LA native and 6x 1st team All-pro) Tony Gonzalez.

Sorry, didn't see this. Yeah, what he said.

Munoz was born in San Bernardino, went to high school in Ontario and college at USC. He made the Pro Bowl in 11 seasons in a row and was 9x first team All Pro and 2x second team.

Yeah they were great. Gonzalez is probably more well known since he played a skill position but I would say it's a tie between them

Old 01-14-2016, 05:13 PM

496 posts, read 574,580 times
Quote:
Chargers fans are idiots if that is the case. The reason the Chargers are going to be moving is because the city is not willing to do enough to get a new stadium built. And their current stadium is like a Division III college stadium. It was good enough for a while but now that every team has mega stadium/entertainment/retail/dining complexes it just won't cut it. So Chargers fans should be mad at their city politicians not the team. But they are guaranteed to be moving so fans aren't going to support a team that they know is leaving.
but its really not the city officials they should be mad at in this case. its themselves. SD can only get a stadium built with public money, therefore, a vote is required to use public money. it has widely been reported that the SD residents are NOT willing to use public money to build a stadium.

SD is not like LA in that they have multiple offers from private companies to build a stadium with ONLY private money. It's because LA is the second media market along with other circumstances (hollywood, more business, more money) that LA does not have to rely on public funds like SD.

so if SD wanted a new stadium, they could get it. they just don't want to pay for it.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:08 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,186,172 times
Quote:

But the NFL didn't want any teams in Los Angeles. They love the spectre of an empty Los Angeles market to hold over cities' heads. It was one of their best ways of getting public funding for new stadiums.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:40 PM

So is everyone going to abandon their allegiances to other teams now? Every football fan I know here is a fan of some team and it's generally a team that is always good like Packers or Broncos because they got to choose a team to be a fan of (how convenient). One guy I know is a Broncos fan and says he is going to be a Rams fan now but still be a Broncos fan. I grew up in Boston so none of this computes to me. I have been fiercely loyal to Patriots since I was a kid. I suffered through 1 and 2 win seasons and all the suffering eventually paid off

Old 01-14-2016, 06:58 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
Quote:
So is everyone going to abandon their allegiances to other teams now? Every football fan I know here is a fan of some team and it's generally a team that is always good like Packers or Broncos because they got to choose a team to be a fan of (how convenient). One guy I know is a Broncos fan and says he is going to be a Rams fan now but still be a Broncos fan. I grew up in Boston so none of this computes to me. I have been fiercely loyal to Patriots since I was a kid. I suffered through 1 and 2 win seasons and all the suffering eventually paid off
i think many people will adopt the rams as their team, but many will keep their allegiances. i personally am not huge into the nfl, but i'll root for the rams as the local team like i did as a child in orange county. you have to remember that when the rams left initially, they pretty much forced their way out. they had been a very bad team for a number of years and games were no longer televised because of blackout restrictions. Frontiere blamed the poor crowds on a sub par stadium rather than the product that was being put on the field. when she didn't get the new stadium she wanted, she picked up and left town with the team. people were bummed of course that they lost their team, but the majority didn't care too much as the team was so bad anyways and people were frustrated with GF. Had the raiders not moved that year as well, i think the ambivalence would have been even greater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles