Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Give them treatment. If they refuse institutionalize them. And further address the root causes of long term homelessness.

California pre Affordable Healthcare Act had limited MED-CAL. You had to be under 21, over 65, pregnant, blind or the parent of 5 children. So this lack of insurance lead many struggle people with serious mental health issues with no real way of getting help.

That's a big reason there are so many homeless. Another issue is that the minimum wage was ridiculously low. At least that has been addressed by recent legislation. Other reforms need to be made to the criminal justice and social service systems.

Resources for homeless, including permanent housing need to be scattered across the state.

Lastly, if homeless people are given realistic housing options, ARREST those who do not want to comply with them. The courts are preventing cops from arresting people in those tents outside on the street on Skid Row. This should not be tolerated.

I was demonized by certain people for suggesting appealing and getting rid of the court ruling that prevents the police from taking action against the homeless people sleeping in tarps outside Skid Row. Clearly they are a danger and will remain so until they are dealt with on multiple fronts. And part of that has to be the police. Other changes in providing them with housing, greater assistance in applying for SSI, food stamps, and med-cal, for those who become stable refer them to job training or education, etc. For those that cannot get better they need to be placed in mental hospitals.

It is inhumane and unsafe to allow this to take place.
I agree. Also I grew up in L.A and of course skid row has always had it's issues. The thing now is that there are mini skid rows by freeways and often right in the middle of busy intersections.
There are multiple homeless mini camps (tents and all) right on Hollywood Blvd.
I also see it by the 5 Freeway exit by my house.
Multiple shopping carts , tents, trash, etc.

The cleanup of these areas always ends up being very expensive too.

I don't think it's mean or inhumane to tell the man/woman screaming obscenities and saying threatening things that is also littering , and leaving human waste in the street that they can't continue doing what they are doing.

I'm sure this guy that attacked this senior and nearly killed him, displayed plenty of warning signs, but the police and others did nothing.
Of course the police are neutered by their higher ups and by clueless Judges.

Let's face it...if we wanted to get serious about things and clean up the city and make it more livable it could be done pretty quickly.

I know people always say.."But where will they go?.." Well you mentioned some good places , mental hospitals,etc

People say that costs money..but what is the price of a human life . This senior minding his own business in DTLA was nearly killed and he would of been killed if the security officer didn't intervene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,919,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Because many people, even middle class, can't afford their own home or rent and are going to the streets to get revenge on all the homeowners.
Right, because it's the homeowners' fault that others are living on the streets

Old 04-04-2016, 01:51 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,689,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Right, because it's the homeowners' fault that others are living on the streets
If you took on a difficult major in college instead of partying and you've worked hard to achieve success then it's your fault. There will be blood and higher taxes. Jerry Brown is going to see to it.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I agree. Also I grew up in L.A and of course skid row has always had it's issues. The thing now is that there are mini skid rows by freeways and often right in the middle of busy intersections.
There are multiple homeless mini camps (tents and all) right on Hollywood Blvd.
I also see it by the 5 Freeway exit by my house.
Multiple shopping carts , tents, trash, etc.

The cleanup of these areas always ends up being very expensive too.

I don't think it's mean or inhumane to tell the man/woman screaming obscenities and saying threatening things that is also littering , and leaving human waste in the street that they can't continue doing what they are doing.

I'm sure this guy that attacked this senior and nearly killed him, displayed plenty of warning signs, but the police and others did nothing.
Of course the police are neutered by their higher ups and by clueless Judges.

Let's face it...if we wanted to get serious about things and clean up the city and make it more livable it could be done pretty quickly.

I know people always say.."But where will they go?.." Well you mentioned some good places , mental hospitals,etc

People say that costs money..but what is the price of a human life . This senior minding his own business in DTLA was nearly killed and he would of been killed if the security officer didn't intervene.
LAPD should appeal these rulings. The federal judges, including the Supreme Court judges are more conservative.

Though I think the judges who made that ruling where saying LA and California should set up places for those homeless people go to ( treatment for mental illness, participating in programs to ready their return to society, permanent housing if not a threat to public safety, mental institutions for those that are threats) before they will undo the ruling allowing the LAPD to take action. Perhaps the city should directly say this is now a public safety threat and this ruling is hampering our ability to take the public.

Re: mini skid rows, it is unsafe to walk under overpasses because of the mini skid rows.

I think you and your friends should write local and state politicians and insist that they take action on this matter. Maybe create a petition online as well.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
LAPD should appeal these rulings. The federal judges, including the Supreme Court judges are more conservative.

Though I think the judges who made that ruling where saying LA and California should set up places for those homeless people go to ( treatment for mental illness, participating in programs to ready their return to society, permanent housing if not a threat to public safety, mental institutions for those that are threats) before they will undo the ruling allowing the LAPD to take action. Perhaps the city should directly say this is now a public safety threat and this ruling is hampering our ability to take the public.

Re: mini skid rows, it is unsafe to walk under overpasses because of the mini skid rows.

I think you and your friends should write local and state politicians and insist that they take action on this matter. Maybe create a petition online as well.
Yeah I agree with you. It is a public safety issue. Always makes me wonder how often this happens, but we don't hear about it too. I myself was nearly attacked randomly by a homeless guy in Santa Monica, and when I was younger I was struck by a homeless guy that through a full soda can at me and hit my leg...luckily didn't hit my head.
Yeah sure nothing like this, but I'll tell you when I have been messed with in public it's pretty much always been by "homeless" people..

Old 04-04-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah I agree with you. It is a public safety issue. Always makes me wonder how often this happens, but we don't hear about it too. I myself was nearly attacked randomly by a homeless guy in Santa Monica, and when I was younger I was struck by a homeless guy that through a full soda can at me and hit my leg...luckily didn't hit my head.
Yeah sure nothing like this, but I'll tell you when I have been messed with in public it's pretty much always been by "homeless" people..
I had a homeless person go off on me Downtown in March. I was faster than him, and so he backed off.

So yes I do indeed realize how dangerous they are. When I am in LA I often get around via Uber or Lyft because these psychos on the public transportation, making using it extremely unpleasant. When I permanently move to LA at the end of the year I will get a car.

LA will need to do more about this situation if they want people besides low wage/minimum wage people to ride public transportation regularly.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I had a homeless person go off on me Downtown in March. I was faster than him, and so he backed off.

So yes I do indeed realize how dangerous they are. When I am in LA I often get around via Uber or Lyft because these psychos on the public transportation, making using it extremely unpleasant. When I permanently move to LA at the end of the year I will get a car.

LA will need to do more about this situation if they want people besides low wage/minimum wage people to ride public transportation regularly.
Yes it's a shame that things funded by the public tax payers are so unpleasant to use.
L.A has spent a fortune on public transit and public parks, but you have to put up with so much craziness that a lot of people don't bother using them.
At North Hollywood park I went by on Saturday and pretty much every bench was taken up by homeless spread out with all their belongings. Most of them drinking in public too of course.

But I guess they have their "rights"
What family can enjoy the park like that?.
I've seen a homeless woman pull down her pants and use a tree as a toilet at the same park...
Imagine if you were the poor person that decided to sit there later on and relax under the tree in the shade..

Old 04-04-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yes it's a shame that things funded by the public tax payers are so unpleasant to use.
L.A has spent a fortune on public transit and public parks, but you have to put up with so much craziness that a lot of people don't bother using them.
At North Hollywood park I went by on Saturday and pretty much every bench was taken up by homeless spread out with all their belongings. Most of them drinking in public too of course.

But I guess they have their "rights"
What family can enjoy the park like that?.
I've seen a homeless woman pull down her pants and use a tree as a toilet at the same park...
Imagine if you were the poor person that decided to sit there later on and relax under the tree in the shade..
The "rights" of the homelessness is an excuse for people not to take action. Clearly major action needs to be taken in terms of reform in the job market, housing market, government benefit market, education market, and on how we hospitalized people who are mentally disabled in order to address those issues. It's a public safety and a public health issue (you could get diseases from people taking dumps and leaks everywhere), in addition to the direct physical danger. It's also inhumane to leave these people outside to rot and die.

And these people do not want to be homeless. There's various reasons why they are, but no one enjoys sitting out in the streets slowly rotting to death.

Belatedly the matter is slowly being addressed. More housing is being built for them and they have caseworkers doing outreach to help them apply for Med-Cal and SSI. There's other programs to help them but this problem is not going to be solved over night.

I do notice the police don't let them congregate like that in front of major office builders, retailers, or residential areas. To the extent they are permitted by the courts the LAPD has increasingly dealt with the problem. The homeless concentrate at skid row and under overpasses, where the police don't bother them. And in public parks.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:41 PM

601 posts, read 755,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Just returned from a trip to Japan and was surprised that homelessness is virtually nonexistent compared to the US. That country wouldn't tolerate what we see on the streets everyday in LA. If we continue to look the other way and don't get these people off the street it will continue to worsen. I laugh when I hear people say this is the greatest country in the world.
Not arguing that other countries have a better grasp on these sorts of problems, but...

Fact-checking: Japan is not one of them. There is a rapidly growing homeless population in Japan's major cities. Social stigma and deep shame keeps them from begging, and they make encampments in out of sight areas - that is, a tourist is less likely to run into them. The Japanese government allows the to make encampments, but provides little to no services for them, so it's not uncommon for homeless in Japan to die on the streets, especially during cold winters. This is a source of public embarrassment for the country, so the issue is largely swept under the rug - hence why you might reasonably believe that the problem doesn't exist. It does.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,489,233 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles