Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 12:42 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
The Kings suck anyway
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 01:37 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,795,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateanddown View Post
The Kings suck anyway
Stop hating. It looks bad.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
If Los Angeles "isn't your kind of city," why do you engage in topics regarding it?
Exactly, and who keeps visiting a place they say "isn't your kind of city", that makes no sense.

I have been to Houston, didn't care for it(especially the weather), so I wouldn't go back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Because I'm still interested in the development of the city, and I visit every year. You don't have to want to live in LA or have it be your kind of city in order to visit and/or discuss it.
Hmmmm....sounds more like you moved here, it didn't work out, but you still like it and visit. No one flies across the country for a hockey game(unless you're mega rich).

You can watch a hockey game on cable.

If you visit LA twice a year than you like it. Your family isn't here, and you lived here what a year? So you don't have long time friends.

No one visits a place they don't care for unless they go on a company business trip.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Pretty sure he means not the kind of city he would want to live in anymore.

I think a lot of people visit cities, but wouldn't want to live in them.
For example a ton of people that live in L.A , probably like visiting other cities in CA like SF, Palm Springs, San Diego and plenty of other cities or towns..but have no desire to live there even if they can afford it. And of course lot's of people visit countries like China, India but would never consider moving there.

It also takes a lot to actually move and relocate away from your hometown to move to another city.
Lot's of people talk about it, but it takes courage to do it.
If it doesn't work out for someone or they find out they don't like it , isn't it better that they move as soon as possible?

Old 04-24-2016, 11:30 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Pretty sure he means not the kind of city he would want to live in anymore.

I think a lot of people visit cities, but wouldn't want to live in them.
For example a ton of people that live in L.A , probably like visiting other cities in CA like SF, Palm Springs, San Diego and plenty of other cities or towns..but have no desire to live there even if they can afford it. And of course lot's of people visit countries like China, India but would never consider moving there.

It also takes a lot to actually move and relocate away from your hometown to move to another city.
Lot's of people talk about it, but it takes courage to do it.
If it doesn't work out for someone or they find out they don't like it , isn't it better that they move as soon as possible?
Yes, exactly. Nowhere did I say I don't like LA. I left LA on my own terms, nothing didn't work out. There's a lot of things I like about LA...when I came last time, I stayed for like 5 days and did things all over the city. I stayed in Los Feliz, which is probably my favorite neighborhood in all of LA.

As for the Kings, watching games on TV simply does not compare to the experience at Staples Center. I watch every single game on TV, but if you're a huge fan then watching on TV simply won't suffice. I don't even visit LA in the summer, it's usually in November or February. But I still find plenty of things to do. It's kind of fun taking a 5 day or so trip like that to a city where I know where everything is, and it's just a laid back vacation. I only lived in LA for a year but I became a massive Kings fan from the first time I casually went to a game. I watch all 82 games, have Kings merchandise, always sit in 2nd or 3rd row...I enjoy watching on TV, but there's nothing like being there.

You don't have to be in love with LA, it's not all or nothing. jm, as you said, people visit places all the time that they wouldn't want to live. You could argue that I keep coming back, but again, Kings games are literally the motivating factor. But as I said, it makes for a fun trip because LA does have some interesting areas that I enjoy.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:25 PM

65 posts, read 75,639 times
And I miss New Orleans desperately. I lived in Los Angeles for about 9 years total, New Orleans a few years and just moved to Florida. I don't miss LA at all, really love FL, but New Orleans is what feels the most like home. If you leave, you won't be able to forget her - nothing else compares. The only thing I don't miss is the crime, I definitely feel much more relaxed here.

I should have learned my lesson after I left New Orleans for LA and then got really depressed. I'm starting to feel that way again here in Florida.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl17 View Post
And I miss New Orleans desperately. I lived in Los Angeles for about 9 years total, New Orleans a few years and just moved to Florida. I don't miss LA at all, really love FL, but New Orleans is what feels the most like home. If you leave, you won't be able to forget her - nothing else compares. The only thing I don't miss is the crime, I definitely feel much more relaxed here.

I should have learned my lesson after I left New Orleans for LA and then got really depressed. I'm starting to feel that way again here in Florida.
I guess lol... i love N.O. too but it doesn't compare to L.A. either at all. Pros and Cons to living any place. The city doesn't make you unhappy but your state of mind does.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I guess lol... i love N.O. too but it doesn't compare to L.A. either at all. Pros and Cons to living any place. The city doesn't make you unhappy but your state of mind does.
That's true to some extent, but I'm generally a happy, positive person and felt my happiest in New Orleans. So in some cases, cities really can make you happier. Like I said, I only really left due to the tragic school lottery system. I also really like living near nice beaches - we were driving to Pensacola and Destin a lot while living in New Orleans.

Maybe it has to do with age, too. During my 20's, I loved living in L.A. because I worked in the studios and was very focused on building a career. By my 30's, I longed for a slower pace of life and a sense of community (which New Orleans certainly has).

Anyway, go to Parkway for me - I think I miss that place the most! I could never find a decent po'boy in L.A. (and now FL), though there are a few decent options.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I definitely prefer visiting LA rather than living in it. LA just isn't my kind of city. However, I visit about twice a year now (purely for Kings games) and there's plenty to do even for someone like myself who has explored LA a lot. I don't even rent a car, the rail can take you almost everywhere these days. While I enjoy my time in LA, I definitely don't miss it or have a desire to live there again...but it's always a fun trip.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I still love L.A. and always will, but could never live there again. It's definitely a great place to visit, though!

Old 04-26-2016, 07:52 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngirl17 View Post
That's true to some extent, but I'm generally a happy, positive person and felt my happiest in New Orleans. So in some cases, cities really can make you happier. Like I said, I only really left due to the tragic school lottery system. I also really like living near nice beaches - we were driving to Pensacola and Destin a lot while living in New Orleans.

Maybe it has to do with age, too. During my 20's, I loved living in L.A. because I worked in the studios and was very focused on building a career. By my 30's, I longed for a slower pace of life and a sense of community (which New Orleans certainly has).

Anyway, go to Parkway for me - I think I miss that place the most! I could never find a decent po'boy in L.A. (and now FL), though there are a few decent options.
True...although Orleans York and Deli does a pretty damn good job. There are other places as well like Little Jewel of New Orleans in Chinatown DTLA.

You liked living near beaches but L.A. wasn't doing it for you? El Matador beach or Zuma Beach or much more accessible than anyplace in New Orleans. Love the fly though in N.O. though, so I get to see some water every now and again. What makes L.A. suck are the transplants....not all of them of course, but the one's who work in the entertainment business. Most stuck up people in Los Angeles.

N.O. is super dope to me in parts though and I love the festivals. Jazz fest....ummmm hell yes only problem I really have in New Orleans is that there is just not a ton of stuff to do as a black person. Not saying there has to be this exclusive set where black people have to do things differently, but the nicest things are geared not towards the majority which I find weird. It also lacks variation. Other than that.....Love New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles