Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 06:29 PM

205 posts, read 174,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's more or less like that for anything that pays substantially more than the minimum wage. You'll get there if you put in the work, but you will have left many AAs behind.
I'm used to it at this point. Once I entered IT (in an entry level position, mind you), there were NO Black females and only two other AA men. My friend (who is somewhat of a mentor) is an older AA male and is usually only one AA of maybe three AAs total on the government contracts he secures as a software engineer. It is just the norm in these arenas. The best thing we can do as AAs is to first achieve success and then reach back and mentor/groom a younger AA male/female to also get into these industries where we are not often represented.

Last edited by NYtoDC; 05-07-2016 at 06:40 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 07:12 PM

123 posts, read 146,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I think it was a little more than that.
Nope, it was just an honest observation from a newbie. Maybe if I was visiting from Denver it wouldn't have been such a culture shock. I'm truly in love with Los Angeles and the areas around it. Can't wait to return. Atlanta sucks in comparison! Can't wait to get out of here.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:57 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanViewer View Post
Nope, it was just an honest observation from a newbie. Maybe if I was visiting from Denver it wouldn't have been such a culture shock. I'm truly in love with Los Angeles and the areas around it. Can't wait to return. Atlanta sucks in comparison! Can't wait to get out of here.
Best of luck then.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:59 PM

270 posts, read 274,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYtoDC View Post
I agree that attitude is everything. There are many women who are still intimidated by male-dominated fields which is why you don't see a lot of us in certain industries. Also, women are often expected or have to find a good home-work life balance. The female CEO of Yahoo addressed this a few years ago. It is often not possible to "have it all." Despite that, I definitely do agree that this era is one of the most progressive eras in which women can break barriers and pursue industries that are unconventional for women.

Your aunt's story is quite fascinating. What happened after she passed on?
I lived in Japan for 3 years in small towns. The Mexican girl at my office is the first one I have seen in this industry that was not working in the plant. She is not American. I got used to it. I don't see intimidation as a legitimate excuse. Again, this is what I was referring to before. The most popular fighter (a male dominated field) has been a woman (Ronda Rousey) for the past few years. When I worked for US companies, all of my bosses were women.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_midnight View Post
I lived in Japan for 3 years in small towns. The Mexican girl at my office is the first one I have seen in this industry that was not working in the plant. She is not American. I got used to it. I don't see intimidation as a legitimate excuse. Again, this is what I was referring to before. The most popular fighter (a male dominated field) has been a woman (Ronda Rousey) for the past few years. When I worked for US companies, all of my bosses were women.
Those issues can be issues for other people. Many women complain about the lack of female CEOs, or the lack of women in top positions. Some years ago the investment bankers in NYC were sued because when they hired women as stockbrokers, they gave them the smallest accounts and pushed them aside. The investment bankers had to pay out hundreds of millions.

There has been institutional discrimination against women and just because you had female bosses does not mean that there isn't any issues whatsoever.

And the reason why women have even made all of the progress they made today is because you had women calling out injustice and admitting it happened, not glossing it over or pretending it never happens.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:52 PM

270 posts, read 274,164 times
Quote:
Those issues can be issues for other people. Many women complain about the lack of female CEOs, or the lack of women in top positions. Some years ago the investment bankers in NYC were sued because when they hired women as stockbrokers, they gave them the smallest accounts and pushed them aside. The investment bankers had to pay out hundreds of millions.

There has been institutional discrimination against women and just because you had female bosses does not mean that there isn't any issues whatsoever.

And the reason why women have even made all of the progress they made today is because you had women calling out injustice and admitting it happened, not glossing it over or pretending it never happens.
Well then they should do what I did and live abroad where you won't see anyone of your race and always be referred to as outsider/foreigner. Suddenly, you get used to not seeing people like you and it no longer becomes an issue. I don't know much about the investment banking lawsuit, so I won't comment on that other than anyone when they are first hired get the smallest accounts. Why would you give large accounts to new hires? With that said NYtoDC agreed with me that giving up their personal lives for the income and responsibility that comes with higher level positions for women in the workplace.

And by the way, I stick out like a sore thumb in my business as I don't exactly look like somebody that sells manufacturing equipment. I sometimes intentionally try to look rough around the edges to fit in. You do what you have to do to get results.

So you're telling me a businessman would prefer to hire a man just because he's a man if the woman is clearly more qualified? What competent businessman does this in 2016? I work in a male dominated field and we can't find women willing to take the job. Every applicant is a man and every woman we offer the position to declines. How many male run daycares do you see? Are men intimidated and need to sue for gender discrimination?

Old 05-08-2016, 04:39 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Well then they should do what I did and live abroad where you won't see anyone of your race and always be referred to as outsider/foreigner. Suddenly, you get used to not seeing people like you and it no longer becomes an issue. I don't know much about the investment banking lawsuit, so I won't comment on that other than anyone when they are first hired get the smallest accounts. Why would you give large accounts to new hires? With that said NYtoDC agreed with me that giving up their personal lives for the income and responsibility that comes with higher level positions for women in the workplace.

And by the way, I stick out like a sore thumb in my business as I don't exactly look like somebody that sells manufacturing equipment. I sometimes intentionally try to look rough around the edges to fit in. You do what you have to do to get results.

So you're telling me a businessman would prefer to hire a man just because he's a man if the woman is clearly more qualified? What competent businessman does this in 2016? I work in a male dominated field and we can't find women willing to take the job. Every applicant is a man and every woman we offer the position to declines. How many male run daycares do you see? Are men intimidated and need to sue for gender discrimination?
So you ignore all the women who say they have been discriminated against blatantly in male dominated fields, because it doesn't fit what you want to hear? As for male run daycares, historically men weren't banned from certain fields or even universities (women could not go to top universities until the 70s, or in the case of Columbia College until 1983).

As for the investment banking lawsuit, the women involved said they were NEVER given large accounts. That's why they sued. And please name me on major bank that has a woman CEO. And this isn't because no women ever work in the field.

NYtoDC is one woman who cannot speak for the experiences of all women.

And yes there are businessmen who would blatantly hire a man over a more qualified woman. I am not saying all businessmen think this way but there are those who certainly do. To claim that all gender discrimination is gone in 2016 is absolutely ridiculous.

As for those people who feel uncomfortable about not being in places where they are not substantially represented, going abroad doesn't necessarily change things. I'm Black. There are countries I could go to with large numbers of Blacks, or within other countries I could find substantial Black communities. Just because someone has been abroad does not necessarily change how they feel about being in places where there are no other people. Just because you have been abroad does not mean you speak for all Americans who have been abroad, or that they have experiences or feelings like yours.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:46 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Why do you think it's really hard for me to believe that all persons face adversity? That has a lot to do with issues going on within your mind, because I have never said any group is free from personal or socioeconomic issues.
In that case, carry on!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:

How many men even WANT to work in a daycare? It's a low paying and, often, thankless job. If men go into the education field, it is usually only at the high school or college level. Also, they usually try to get into administration as quickly as possible. Dealing with young children is seen as a women's job. Again, things are changing slowly (especially in European countries) but traditional roles/expectations are hard to shake.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
So you ignore all the women who say they have been discriminated against blatantly in male dominated fields, because it doesn't fit what you want to hear? As for male run daycares, historically men weren't banned from certain fields or even universities (women could not go to top universities until the 70s, or in the case of Columbia College until 1983).

As for the investment banking lawsuit, the women involved said they were NEVER given large accounts. That's why they sued. And please name me on major bank that has a woman CEO. And this isn't because no women ever work in the field.

NYtoDC is one woman who cannot speak for the experiences of all women.

And yes there are businessmen who would blatantly hire a man over a more qualified woman. I am not saying all businessmen think this way but there are those who certainly do. To claim that all gender discrimination is gone in 2016 is absolutely ridiculous.

As for those people who feel uncomfortable about not being in places where they are not substantially represented, going abroad doesn't necessarily change things. I'm Black. There are countries I could go to with large numbers of Blacks, or within other countries I could find substantial Black communities. Just because someone has been abroad does not necessarily change how they feel about being in places where there are no other people. Just because you have been abroad does not mean you speak for all Americans who have been abroad, or that they have experiences or feelings like yours.
Agreed. You have to be tough to push through and deal with the "good ol'boys club."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles