Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 03:50 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,626,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But you PROVED my point, actually by saying these girls are Black.

Most people in Colombia do not have a white parent, but they do have some distant white ancestors. The biggest group in Colombia are the Natives. After that you have many Blacks.

According to you having white ancestors on both sides of your family doesn't make you biracial. I agree that how people perceive things, which is why I said to be biracial is to be racial. Someone with a lot of another race in them isn't viewed as white, they are viewed as something else. Truthfully Obama is spoken of as the first BLACK (not MIXED President) so he is almost never called biracial despite being raised by his White MOTHER.
Obama chose to identify as black rather than biracial for political reasons. It would have been a better thing for the US if he had identified as biracial.

If a person themselves identifies as white they are. If they identify themselves as mixed, they are. Race is ultimately arbitrary and a fiction despite what the alt-right scum think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 07:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPossesOnBroadway View Post
Huh? I NEVER said that... You were like wrong when you said they're biracial and I said they like aren't biracial...

And they're not like black like the everyday black person etc..
Sure. I can't tell the difference between them and the every day Black person. Nor could anyone Black.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:03 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Obama chose to identify as black rather than biracial for political reasons. It would have been a better thing for the US if he had identified as biracial.

If a person themselves identifies as white they are. If they identify themselves as mixed, they are. Race is ultimately arbitrary and a fiction despite what the alt-right scum think.
He could not identify as biracial, and not just for political reasons. People consider him Black because his father is Black. He's married to a Black woman, and his children are clearly considered Black. So he has a Black family. Given his daughters and wife ALONE, saying that you're biracial doesn't do anything.

Obama was also able to go to Columbia and Harvard, two schools that were WHITE MALES only, because of the civil rights act that forced them to take in people regardless of race, gender, nationality, etc. His wife Michelle similarly was able to go for those reasons. They both know it. Historically if you had a Black parent you were shut out of what society, especially when it came to jobs and education (until the civil rights and anti discrimination laws of the 60s).

Old 09-23-2016, 09:35 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,401,039 times
Quote:
I include no references because it is not my job to do research for anyone. Also this is the City Data forum on Los Angeles, so this topic is actually OFF topic. If anyone want more information on the topic, they are welcome to go to Colombia and see for themselves, or otherwise do independent research.
That is a bogus excuse. You really should provide a source when you make unsubstantiated claims.

Quote:

Few people could pass for white in the US, Europe, etc. And we all know what white really means worldwide. White means a 100% white person.

The majority of people in Colombia have at least some Native and/or Black and it SHOWS. And as one academic once said, to be biracial is to be racial. In short, Native, Black, or Asian traits are dominant over White traits, so any "mixed" people are always perceived as the other, not white.
No. "White person" does not automatically mean 100 percent white. That is pure B.S. The one drop rule certainly does not apply in Latin America.

Regardless you are moving the goal posts. This is what you said orginally:

Quote:
Some Latin American countries like the Dominican Republic, Colombia, and Mexico have FEW whites.
I posted a link which showed 37% of Colombians are white. If you call that a "few" then so be it.

Last edited by Astral_Weeks; 09-23-2016 at 09:44 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 03:36 AM

18 posts, read 15,041 times
Are Persians/Armenians/Turks "people of color"? I view them as white not European white but white.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:31 AM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplesInAACab View Post
Are Persians/Armenians/Turks "people of color"? I view them as white not European white but white.
They generally were "white" in America while an other in Europe. Political advantages of being an other plus being from the war zone have shifted current American thinking more towards the European one of no longer a white ehtnic group like the character Arab in the white gang in West Side Story or Corporal Klinger in MASH to an other racial category

Old 09-24-2016, 04:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrernal333 View Post
Blacks are the founders of Los Angeles, they have been being pushed out every since the "settlers" arrived. A High number of blacks moved here from the South in the early 1900's during the war, and a higher number moved from the south during the civil rights era. However that doesn't change the fact that Blacks were the founders of Los Angeles. Google it before you start to wave your finger.
who was I waving a finger at and what the hell are you blabbing about? I was simply giving an opinion based on my experience being raised in Los Angeles. Did I ever say anything about blacks not being part of Los Angeles? I was more referring to the segregation prior to the 1960s. Sounds to me like you are being very defensive and misunderstanding what is being said.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplesInAACab View Post
I certainly agree with that, I am still waiting for the OP to come back and explain if he/she really meant simply race diversity or cultural diversity. Guess we will never know. I notice he/she hasn't posted anything since asking the question. Sounds like we have a poster who likes to start debates more than wanting answers. And if that is the case it sure has worked.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:09 PM

39 posts, read 25,734 times
Default What I expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
who was I waving a finger at and what the hell are you blabbing about? I was simply giving an opinion based on my experience being raised in Los Angeles. Did I ever say anything about blacks not being part of Los Angeles? I was more referring to the segregation prior to the 1960s. Sounds to me like you are being very defensive and misunderstanding what is being said.
I wasn't "blabbling" I said that because I knew you would get defensive before googling it. If you really grew up in Los Angeles you should know the history, but never mind I can see your in Arkansas, so that explains it all. Have a good Day my friend.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,155,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

1000xs THIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles