Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:31 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh, for heaven's sake, you know very well what I meant, I was generalizing. And thanks for the education of religion, and race. Hispanics are not a different race from white either, certainly someone who knows so much would know that. I mentioned Armenians, Jews and Italians as well. I really took OPs question as more cultural than actual race. If his question was referring strictly to race: the answer is simple; as already mentioned: when the first person, other than a native American moved to Los Angeles. Maybe it is you who needs the education. It seems you don't know the difference between race and culture. white.
Hispanic is not a race. Latin Americans can be White, Native, Black, Asian, Middle Eastern, mixed, etc.

Some Latin American countries like the Dominican Republic, Colombia, and Mexico have FEW whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As someone who's considered white in the US nowadays but who's considered nonwhite in Europe: whiteness in America is fluid and negotiable, to an extent. All it means is Not Black and Not Asian. Otherwise, its definition changes constantly and expands.
Whiteness is not at all FLUID and it is more or less what it has always been. Fair skinned Europeans, particularly Northern Europeans. You cannot tell the difference between Irish and English, discrimination against Irish immigrants in the 1700 and 1800s was more long ethnic and religious lines (Irish are Catholic). Post WW2 federally funded organizations could not discriminate on the basis of religion (universities had to admit Catholic and Jewish GIs), and this was extended to women and people of other races with the civil rights bill.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Hispanic is not a race. Latin Americans can be White, Native, Black, Asian, Middle Eastern, mixed, etc.

Some Latin American countries like the Dominican Republic, Colombia, and Mexico have FEW whites.
did you read my last post>? That is exactly what I said. I made it clear I based my remarks on cultural and ethnic as well as actual race. I think most of us know Hispanic is not a race. I was generalizing. I am still assuming the OP was not referring strictly to race, but they haven't come back to clarify.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:

Colombia is either barely white majority or white plurality. Mexico is mixed majority but has a sizeable white minority. Although Southern Mexico has practically no whites.

Whiteness is very fluid, otherwise I and the rest of my family would not be considered white - and the definition of white in the US and Europe would be the same, which it is not. The definition of white has changed over the years and will continue to change.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
What good does being white on the census do? The public clearly doesn't accept Middle Easterners as white ,and depending on what you mean by Middle Eastern, they range from blond haired and blue eyed to very Black, and everything in between. And if you count Pakistan as the middle East, there are Muslims that are racially East Asian there (as well as of course South Asian).
How do you think Japanese-Americans were identified as such to be interned in 1942? Because of how they were classified on the census.

Some Middle Easterners are clearly accepted as white even now, particularly if they're Christian.

Of course it's also quite possible that Trump's tough talk is just talk and that he wouldn't actually do anything against Muslims if he was president, even if Congress didn't stop him from doing so, It is possible even under a Trump administration that Middle Easterners could concievably continue to be classified as white. Under Hilary, Middle Easterners would remain in the white category as I don't think she would try to single them out for special persecution.

Last edited by majoun; 09-22-2016 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-22-2016, 02:13 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:

Clearly you've never been to Colombia. About 49.0 percent of the population is Mestizo (European/Amerindian mix) and 37.0 percent is white (mostly with Spanish roots but some also from Germany, Italy, Middle East, etc.).

Hardly just a few.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombia#Demographics

Old 09-22-2016, 05:42 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Clearly you've never been to Colombia. About 49.0 percent of the population is Mestizo (European/Amerindian mix) and 37.0 percent is white (mostly with Spanish roots but some also from Germany, Italy, Middle East, etc.).

Hardly just a few.

But according some some so called "White Nationalists" - people from Southern Europe and the Middle East are not "white."

---- Ahm puttin' thuh fahnul touches on ma sheet! ----

Old 09-23-2016, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Colombia is either barely white majority or white plurality. Mexico is mixed majority but has a sizeable white minority. Although Southern Mexico has practically no whites.

Whiteness is very fluid, otherwise I and the rest of my family would not be considered white - and the definition of white in the US and Europe would be the same, which it is not. The definition of white has changed over the years and will continue to change.
Colombia is NOT majority white by any standards.

The majority of people in Mexico are of NATIVE descent (though there are other races). They speak Spanish because of colonialism.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

Hardly just a few.

I very much have been to Colombia. For starters NOBODY today CALLS themselves MESTIZOS. The only people I've heard use that are white people who read wikipedia and otherwise have very superficial knowledge of Colombia or Latin America.

"Mestizo" is from the colonial era and not used by contemporary Latinos or Latin Americans.

Wikipedia can be EDITED by anyone off the street, so it's hardly a credible source.

Along the coasts there's a large Black population, and even in Bogota there are some.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:42 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
I very much have been to Colombia. For starters NOBODY today CALLS themselves MESTIZOS. The only people I've heard use that are white people who read wikipedia and otherwise have very superficial knowledge of Colombia or Latin America.

"Mestizo" is from the colonial era and not used by contemporary Latinos or Latin Americans.

Wikipedia can be EDITED by anyone off the street, so it's hardly a credible source.

Along the coasts there's a large Black population, and even in Bogota there are some.
I've been to Colombia multiple times including a few times with my ex-girlfriend who is Colombiana. So I well aware of the high degree of racial/ethnic variety in Colombia.

This is City-Data, a largely North American audience, and the data for this stuff in Colombia is admittedly limited but at least I linked a source. You just made this claim with no back up:

Quote:

The study linked below was updated in 2010 and references the in country survey/census done in 2005. This is where the figures I noted come from.

Colombia does have a large black population but even in the coastal areas you'll see plenty of very white looking folks. Shakira is from Barranquilla after all.

And anyone that has been to Medellin or Bogota (the two largest cities) knows there are plenty of whites in Colombia. Granted the narrow confines of U.S. Census/race/ethnic classifications are probably to constricting in a country as mixed as Colombia.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NV...202005&f=false
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles