Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 01:17 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Spanish signs bother you? Personally I would never live in Southern California if I didn't have at least a basic knowledge of how to read and speak Spanish. It would be too alienating. Plus being able to speak Spanish will open up a whole other world.
I lived in Miami for four years- no they don't bother me and I do know basic Spanish. I was just making a point that many of the uglier parts of the Valley have a lot of signs in Spanish while the better areas do not.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:32 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I lived in Miami for four years- no they don't bother me and I do know basic Spanish. I was just making a point that many of the uglier parts of the Valley have a lot of signs in Spanish while the better areas do not.
Well, it is what it is. In LA, there is definitely a correlation between ugly, dirty, low income areas also having a heavy Latino presence. That's not unique to Van Nuys, but is the case across the entire city. The ugliest and dirtiest areas are mostly populated by poor and mostly illegal Latino immigrants.

It's also a tax base issue. The wealthier areas, especially with a heavy concentration of big business and affluent residents (e.g. Century City, Westwood, Brentwood, etc.) generate more tax revenue for the city, therefore, they are cleaner and better maintained. Plus some businesses and big commercial property owners contribute to the upkeep of their immediate areas. This is the case in practically every major city across America.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:34 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
The valley has changed drastically in the last 15 years....and not for the better. That being said they are trying to fix some places up but I personally feel it's a little to little and a little to late. And yes, there has always been signs in Spanish , to a degree but come on guys, if you live or visit the "valley" you know as well as I do that the graffiti has gotten really bad and it is just about everywhere! It's not pretty or a form of art it's ugly. The trash has gotten out of hand. The valley certainly has changed and is changing yearly. I really don't know if the state can really ever clean it all the way up now! This is just my personal opinion. Maybe others just don't see this or they haven't lived in the valley for 35 years so they don't realize the changes as much as the old timers.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:27 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I have only lived in L.A. for three years, but is seems like the Valley is getting uglier, dirtier and nastier each year. I do live in Van Nuys right now (which believe me, has its REALLY ugly parts) and all around the area I live is filthy. They do not have street sweepers in this area and there is junk and litter EVERYWHERE! Why don't they clean the streets in Van Nuys?? We are paying almost $1400 for a one-bedroom and I think we deserve to at least live in a semi-clean area for that price!
I've lived in the SFV for 20+ years. So imagine how much trashier it's gotten since I moved there!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I have to agree with the comments about graffiti and trash increasing. I live in what used to be considered a good area - Sherman Oaks, just north of the freeway. There's now graffiti sprayed on our dumpsters, the walls, etc. Just down the alley, another apartment building was demolished, and nothing was built to replace it. This has become a haven for all kinds of trash - old sofas, beds, refrigerators, etc. It's embarrassing.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 PM

98 posts, read 325,491 times
I live in the valley. I used to live in Hollywood. Then I lived in Thousand Oaks and now the valley.

Well the valley is basically Mexico. The grafitti will come back within a week after you wash it off. Believe me I know this!

What is happening is that LA is turning into RICH and the latino workers!! that is the dichotomy that is being created.

Woodland Hills is the nicest part of the valley...and anything along Ventura Blvd...

but in the middle flatlands of the valley is where Mexico is :-))

The funny thing about LA is that not many buildings are over 2 stories tall so everything looks like another country!!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:27 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Is Burbank considered to be a part of the Valley? Most of it is well north of Ventura Blvd, but Burbank has some of the cleanest streets I've seen in LA County. I'm talking 1950's, Leave It to Beaver, white picket fence clean. I don't think I've ever seen graffiti in Burbank either. The downtown area has really come alive in recent years and draws quite a crowd on weekend nights.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Is Burbank considered to be a part of the Valley? Most of it is well north of Ventura Blvd, but Burbank has some of the cleanest streets I've seen in LA County. I'm talking 1950's, Leave It to Beaver, white picket fence clean. I don't think I've ever seen graffiti in Burbank either. The downtown area has really come alive in recent years and draws quite a crowd on weekend nights.
yeah Burbank is really nice!! it is a world of its own......because of the stuidos!!!

and the downtown area is really nice too!! no it is not really a part of the valley........i dont know why they consider it to be so.........Burbank is probably the reason why the valley did not win the secession!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:06 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerblaine View Post
[Burbank] ... is not really a part of the valley........i dont know why they consider it to be so.........Burbank is probably the reason why the valley did not win the secession!!!
Could be a technical distinction somewhere, I suppose. Burbank is geographically in the San Fernando Valley, which is bordered by mountains, east, west, north and south. However, Burbank is an incorporated city, not part of the City of Los Angeles. Most of the SFV became part of L.A. City back in the early part of the last century to secure water rights vis-a-vis the L.A. Aqueduct, which brought water to the area from Mono Lake and the Owens Valley. At that time, the San Fernando Valley was nothing more than a collection of separate communities. Those communities that joined the City of L.A. could partake of the city's new water supply. Other communities opted to stay out of L.A. City and later became their own cities, such as Burbank, San Fernando, Glendale, etc. Were it not for the water issue, the San Fernando Valley probably would have evolved more like the San Gabriel Valley, which is comprised of smaller, incorporated cities (Pasadena, Azusa, Monrovia, and so on) rather than one big section of L.A.

As to secession, I don't think Burbank had any say in that. The question was for that part of the Valley that's incorporated with L.A. City. As stated earlier, Burbank is not part of L.A. Secession would have made the L.A. portion of the SFV its own city -- like Burbank.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Could be a technical distinction somewhere, I suppose. Burbank is geographically in the San Fernando Valley, which is bordered by mountains, east, west, north and south. However, Burbank is an incorporated city, not part of the City of Los Angeles. Most of the SFV became part of L.A. City back in the early part of the last century to secure water rights vis-a-vis the L.A. Aqueduct, which brought water to the area from Mono Lake and the Owens Valley. At that time, the San Fernando Valley was nothing more than a collection of separate communities. Those communities that joined the City of L.A. could partake of the city's new water supply. Other communities opted to stay out of L.A. City and later became their own cities, such as Burbank, San Fernando, Glendale, etc. Were it not for the water issue, the San Fernando Valley probably would have evolved more like the San Gabriel Valley, which is comprised of smaller, incorporated cities (Pasadena, Azusa, Monrovia, and so on) rather than one big section of L.A.

As to secession, I don't think Burbank had any say in that. The question was for that part of the Valley that's incorporated with L.A. City. As stated earlier, Burbank is not part of L.A. Secession would have made the L.A. portion of the SFV its own city -- like Burbank.
Yeah I was wondering after i said that if Burbank was its own city...i thought it might be...

BUT

Pacific Palasades was part of the valley in that vote!! I still wonder why that is!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles