Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 PM

493 posts, read 637,323 times

Advertisements

Aweomse, It appears that on Remax, valley homes have more bang for the buck...with larger lots...pools (which I dunno if one would need if you have the beach close by), I just hope that the heat isn't as bad as they say...compared what I have felt

Old 03-16-2008, 12:54 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Didn't the valley, even as recently as '85-90, look like it did in the Karate Kid or in ET? Thats what I think of when I think about '85-'95 valley.
Yes it did. some STREETS still do. The Universal Studios tour use to point out the spot where ET lands.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM

493 posts, read 637,323 times
"Were in the Valley Vincent, Marcellus ain't got no friends in the Valley!"

Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM

396 posts, read 1,724,183 times
i kinda like the valley, well, at least the area im in, not a whole lot of traffic. went to canoga park last week, im not a fan.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 AM

485 posts, read 1,704,193 times
OP here. Well, it looks like we are stuck in Van Nuys for the time being!!! My husband and I have poor credit (no evictions or bankruptcies, mostly medical bills in collections) and have had NO LUCK in getting accepted into the nicer areas of the the Valley - Woodland Hills and Calabasas. My husband was told to either get a co-signer (not happening) or find another place in VAN NUYS. They won't even take a larger deposit.

Ahhh, this is so frustrating- we are so stuck here. My husband has had a good-paying job for two years now, but the managers just don't care. I was just offered a great job in Pacific Palisades and will now have to commute from frickin' Van Nuys everyday. I know we won't be accepted into anything by the job.

We have a combined income of $85,000/year and can't get out of Van Nuys. We have been pretty lucky for the past 1.5 years, crime-wise. Knock on wood. Does anyone know if the area of Sepulveda and Sherman Way (right next to the 405) is a bad gang and crime area? I am terrified anytime I have to walk from my underground parking spot to my apartment alone at night because someone got raped in the garage last year. It isn't fair that I have to live in fear.I just wish we could get out of here.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:50 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,728,348 times
Funny...I was watching Ghostbusters II last night and Bill Murray was talking about going to the most beautiful place in California, "The San Fernando Valley"...I was
Movie was made in late 1980s...20 years ago...has it changed so much? Yep, and I was born in 1982.
I was thinking he'd say the beach or Beverly Hills..."the valley". I guess it use to be the hot thing back in the day.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:24 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
Funny...I was watching Ghostbusters II last night and Bill Murray was talking about going to the most beautiful place in California, "The San Fernando Valley"...I was
Movie was made in late 1980s...20 years ago...has it changed so much? Yep, and I was born in 1982.
I was thinking he'd say the beach or Beverly Hills..."the valley". I guess it use to be the hot thing back in the day.
Im pretty sure he meant that as a joke. Just like in Austin Powers when Austing was driving with Elizabeth Hurley he said "Its amazing how the beautiful country roads of England looks amazingly like the San Fernando Valley". He said that because they were fillming on Mulholland Drive near Beverly Glen. It was funny.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
I dont think the San Fernando Valley is getting uglier each year, its just that those of us who call it home are getting better and better looking each year.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:52 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
gypsystar, as one Van Nuys resident to another, I empathize. You can check LAPD | crimestats and epolice for stats on reported local crimes. The area you mentioned mainly sees auto theft, theft of property from autos, property theft etc. That means a lot of gang guys are trolling to rob, rather than direct, aggravated assaults.

We are here because it was the only area with yards for our dogs that we could afford to buy, and are also lower income folks (a teacher and a freelancer.) Within 10 years of our moving here the area declined precipitously after the earthquake due to the illegals changing the demographics. It was truly diverse and pleasant prior. We will flee our home city of 50 years the nanosecond huband retires. Los Angeles does not work well for the non-rich. We will welcome the trade-offs.

Please don't fret too much about your walking alone, while developing some street savvy skills. My photojournalism has taken me to all corners of L.A. at all hours, and carrying cameras to boot. Always know exactly where you're going, don't have your expensive items too visible, look purposeful while walking, and don't engage ANYONE who talks to you while you're walking: always ignore them. This has worked for me thus far.

And although your commute to Pacific Palisades for your new job will, dare I say, suck, consider the employment a godsend. You will get to spend a large amount of time daily in a pretty area with nice, professional people. We live in the Historic Zone of Van Nuys, so that the preserved houses around us look nice, but the people beyond our immediate blocks are dreadfully vicious folks, real haters of anyone not from their home countries. There are multiple generation families of gangs, and all those illegals who have zero respect for or even cognizance of American laws. We won't miss it at all: weather isn't everything there is to life.

Last edited by fastfilm; 03-17-2008 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM

485 posts, read 1,704,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
gypsystar, as one Van Nuys resident to another, I empathize. You can check LAPD | crimestats and epolice for stats on reported local crimes. The area you mentioned mainly sees auto theft, theft of property from autos, property theft etc. That means a lot of gang guys are trolling to rob, rather than direct, aggravated assaults.

We are here because it was the only area with yards for our dogs that we could afford to buy, and are also lower income folks (a teacher and a freelancer.) Within 10 years of our moving here the area declined precipitously after the earthquake due to the illegals changing the demographics. It was truly diverse and pleasant prior. We will flee our home city of 50 years the nanosecond huband retires. Los Angeles does not work well for the non-rich. We will welcome the trade-offs.

Please don't fret too much about your walking alone, while developing some street savvy skills. My photojournalism has taken me to all corners of L.A. at all hours, and carrying cameras to boot. Always know exactly where you're going, don't have your expensive items too visible, look purposeful while walking, and don't engage ANYONE who talks to you while you're walking: always ignore them. This has worked for me thus far.

And although your commute to Pacific Palisades for your new job will, dare I say, suck, consider the employment a godsend. You will get to spend a large amount of time daily in a pretty area with nice, professional people. We live in the Historic Zone of Van Nuys, so that the preserved houses around us look nice, but the people beyond our immediate blocks are dreadfully vicious folks, real haters of anyone not from their home countries. There are multiple generation families of gangs, and all those illegals who have zero respect for or even cognizance of American laws. We won't miss it at all: weather isn't everything there is to life.
Thank you so much for your response! I know this isn't Compton, but it is just scary to know that gang members (and prostitutes!) are out there trolling around at night, you know? I guess that could be anywhere. I grew up in small-town Midwest so the thought just freaks me out still.

We aren't upper-class, but I never thought I would have to live in an area that I didn't want to be in. We were living in a tiny studio apt. in Woodland Hills when we arrived in L.A., and were wooed by how nice this remodeled one-bedroom apt. was in Van Nuys - and I thought "it isn't too far from Sherman Oaks." I think we would be able to get something in Chatsworth if we wanted it, but I would rather wait to get our credit up so we can move back to Woodland Hills. I guess our credit was better when we moved here, because I got into Oakwood Apartments in W. Hills no problem - L.A. will destroy your credit I guess, ha ha.

I wish you the best of luck with you move when it is time! We thought we were moving to Orlando next month, but then I was offered this awesome position so we figured we should stay for a while. I am a writer and full-time jobs are hard to come by these days. And you are right, I will get to live the "good life" in Pacific Palisades every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles