Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:30 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,770 times

Advertisements

As far as staying in Cali., I would have to say there are three places I would take up residence (define that as you will). San Francisco, Montecito, and La Quinta. I would own in atleast two of those areas at once--La Quinta being the second residence.

I did say LOADS of money didn't I (in my above question)? I guess not but I think we all got I meant the BIG DOLLARS :-). If I had my druthers, I would only come to LA for promotional purposes and then get out quickly. I might ask that we exclude LA permanetly if I could get away with it. I could leave and never look back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 06:43 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,877,770 times
I don't see L.A as going down the tubes....L.A will survive through all the problems it faces.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:12 AM

It will survive, but will we?

Besides who just wants to survive?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:33 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,090,694 times
I think LA has major problems if even the rich are leaving and others refuse to come. I for one wouldnt live in LA, the crime is way too high, safety comes first. I guess the best places left in CA are those small rural towns in far north CA but theres better places, just not in CA. Oil city, PA is my top choice. Nice small quiet city with very affordable costs of living

Old 12-07-2006, 01:03 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
If you had the money to live in the best areas here would you stay or go? Just curious. If you presently have the money and chose to leave--why? Look forward to all responses.
I'll be honest, if I was rich, yes I would stay here, because I would NEVER have to mingle with the lower classes (except the help) if I didn't want to. But then I'd be a jaded/botoxed/anorexia looking ***** that wouldn't care about anything except fashion and impressing the upper class version of the Joneses.

See? That's the problem with L.A., you can literally "wall" yourself off from those around you and stay in your little world (even in the poor neighborhoods). You can't do that in most major cities. Thank goodness.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:43 PM

346 posts, read 2,141,380 times
That's the trouble with L.A. - In order to feel safe or happy you have to be rich enough to completely seclude yourself from the rest of society therein losing your chance to interact and learn from other people and cultures. In other states and countries, neighbors of all different backgrounds, cultures, and socioeconomic stratifications can interact amicably and peacefully. Why is this not possible in L.A.? I think it's primarily due to the "in your face" nature of the people, the illegal immigrants and the gang culture. We are fearful for our lives in L.A. and those neighbors that might approach us, probably want to hurt us. People from other states in many places do not necessarily think this way because they don't have to. It's like driving too... in California, you have to drive fast and aggresively or you will **** off a whole host of people who will do their darndest to cut you off, flip you off and scream at you. If you try to leave following distance, you are only asking for half the freeway to try to squeeze into the space you are leaving.

I want peace, and I want to get along with my neighbors and be friends with them. I want to live in a place where we can feel safe driving safely and feel safe walking down the street at night. I don't want to live completely secluded, cut off from the rest of society sitting pretty with enormous wealth but no social outlets save for the VIP lists in Hollywood and the "Happy Homemakers" conventions. I want real life... and I believe you have to leave Los Angeles to find this.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:35 PM

Thumbs up Says it all

Des, you encapsulate and captured the essense of why it is so hard here in that one post--for me anyway--and also why it is so compelling to want to move on and leave this place behind.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 12-07-2006 at 06:00 PM..

Old 12-07-2006, 05:54 PM

M220, I see a lot of those botoxed anorexics where I live and they really jepardize themselves so as to keep up with the biggest and best financially. Many make lots of money but still are in way above their heads with their monthly budgets reaching the stratesphere (you would NOT believe!) just to keep up and exceed the Joneses. Then of course come the divorces and the truth comes out.

You mentioned something I had forgotten and that is even the poorer population can wall themselves off here (not just the rich). You are so right. I had gotten so caught up on how isolating it is on the westside, I had forgotten this until you said it.

It once occured to me I could die in just the wrong place here and no one would even notice for days or care (wouldn't matter what my income or 'side of town'). People are just so estranged from one another, even when one tries otherwise, it can be very difficult. Does this have to do with being in one of the largest cities in the nation? I remember when I was in NY even in the elevator at Saks women would speak their minds and go off about this and that--unasked for. But here there is no talk in the elevators. I also miss intelligent conversations. Oh my, do I ever.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 AM

137 posts, read 258,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquityTrader View Post
Tell me one city in the US that has something going for it and is not "going down the toilet"

I know I can't find one
No city is perfect, but LA seems to be in a class of it's own with the invasion of 3rd world illegals.

No one wants to live with those criminals.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:19 AM

48 posts, read 260,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
Anyone else think LA is going down the toilet?
That would imply it's not already there.

Quote:
I see a city in the future of only two classes the very few rich and the very large number of poor.
Yes, and it's rapidly getting worse.

Quote:
The gangs are turning LA into our American version of Bogota or Beirut.
Don't scoff. I recently went to a neighborhood anti-gang meeting. There was a Vietnamese woman there who, like the rest of us, was fuming mad about all the gang problems on our street. She said, "I am sick of it now! It has become worse than Vietnam! This is bullsh**!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The gang problem isn't quite that bad - yet.
Ha! Speak for yourself. The cops in our area told us they're surprised no one on our street has gotten shot yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
If you had the money to live in the best areas here would you stay or go?
You must be kidding. If I had the money to live in the best areas here (which, let's face it, that takes a big pile of money), that means I'd have enough to buy a place in some rural area... with peace and quiet, clean air and water, beautiful trees and wildlife, open roads, friendly people, and the ability to leave my home without fear of getting shot.... and still have enough left over to never have to work again. You do the math! I would burn rubber so fast your head would spin.

There is no amount of money that would keep me in Los Angeles or any of the surrounding metropolitan area. It's not a toilet, it's a 38000-square-mile raw sewage spill in desperate need of cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles