Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:47 AM

22 posts, read 77,823 times

Advertisements

I have to agree with this forum. I grew up and live in LA and it's really bad now one it's too crowded and the people here are not friendly. I always loved the south move which is where I'm moving to I like Jacksonville Florida although I am worried about the murder rate there however most of that is people who are in the dope game and I'm not a drug dealer. It's like my cousin who lives in J'ville he told me if your a thug type and you like to get into trouble then trouble will find you and I'm not thats not my crowd so I feel I will be ok. But getting back to the subject Los Angeles is down now. I would say if your Asian or Hispanic LA is a good city for you or if your rich it can be a good city for you with money you have power and options so it can be a dream city for you but if your middle class and struggling your not going to like it so much. For me as a black man I feel it's not a good city for an african american unless you have some money so I'm in the process of moving south plus I'm a upstart music producer and I feel I can jump start my career down south more and I have family in the music business down south and the Atl is only 4 hours away from Jacksonville. But LA is gone now but I say if your latin or asian hey LA is a good city for you and of course if your rich and white you will love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,607,979 times
Trajjic, L.A. used to be such an important place for creative African Americans in the music business, even before pop music and rap. Oldtime jazz musicians like Buddy Collette, whom I've photographed, used to rhapsodize about how great it was too move here and be a respected part of a genuine, world-famous jazz scene around Central Ave. as well as playing for the movies.

But things change, and not always for the better. I'm lower middle class and caucasian, and we're outta here too in few years. Good luck in FLA.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:12 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajjic View Post
I have to agree with this forum. I grew up and live in LA and it's really bad now one it's too crowded and the people here are not friendly. I always loved the south move which is where I'm moving to I like Jacksonville Florida although I am worried about the murder rate there however most of that is people who are in the dope game and I'm not a drug dealer. It's like my cousin who lives in J'ville he told me if your a thug type and you like to get into trouble then trouble will find you and I'm not thats not my crowd so I feel I will be ok. But getting back to the subject Los Angeles is down now. I would say if your Asian or Hispanic LA is a good city for you or if your rich it can be a good city for you with money you have power and options so it can be a dream city for you but if your middle class and struggling your not going to like it so much. For me as a black man I feel it's not a good city for an african american unless you have some money so I'm in the process of moving south plus I'm a upstart music producer and I feel I can jump start my career down south more and I have family in the music business down south and the Atl is only 4 hours away from Jacksonville. But LA is gone now but I say if your latin or asian hey LA is a good city for you and of course if your rich and white you will love it.

Well dang, it is our loss then. Good luck to you Trajjic and with your producing. I am glad for you too that you have family in the business. I do have a question though if you don't mind. Is it just the finances? The mean people? Are the Hispanic gangs and their nastiness toward blacks having any impact on your decision or the illegal immigration overall impacts on our society? Overall I am a bit curious to know what are the specific factors for your leaving as an African American male (more then you mentioned-although they are enough! ). Is it the shifts in the music business here? If we are losing talented upcoming African American males I want to know why.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:24 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,026,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe View Post
MAn...that is the place to be. W. third, la cienega, the beverly center, melrose, santa monica, roberston, la brea, beverly blvd., wilshire, etc. etc. are all right there. Plus west hollywood, beverly hills, k-town and larchmont are not too far off, and you can get to other cool places pretty fast too. I wished I lived there sometimes, but I am happy in the hermosa beach area. It is a little too white (i.e not diverse) and has a few too many olive garden like places for my tastes but it is very safe and by the beach, so I guess it is okay since i go into the city every weekend anyways.
Yeah, I loved living in the Fairfax/Grove area. Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Larhmont, Hollywood, and even Downtown were all right at your fingertip. If you are a young, single, professional, I think that area is the best place to live to get the ultimate urban living experience, LA style.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:03 PM

186 posts, read 835,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Yeah, I loved living in the Fairfax/Grove area. Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Larhmont, Hollywood, and even Downtown were all right at your fingertip. If you are a young, single, professional, I think that area is the best place to live to get the ultimate urban living experience, LA style.
It is the best place. Go west and you get santa monica. Go south and you got the small but decent gentrified culver city. Everything else is 10 minutes away. CAnt beat that. Most people hate downtown but with places like blue velvet, verandhas bar, rooftop bar, j lounge, and the upcoming trifecta, not to mention some of the hidden gem eateries in Jtown and the staples center, downtown LA is a great place for young hip adventuours people. Downtown LA is starting to remind me of the SOMA district in SF. A hodge podge reclaimed space with cool places springing up everywhere, attracting a unique "electic" and diverse crowd. I heard that 4 new mutliple purpose nightspots were springing up in the historic banking district making it even better.

If I get bored of the beach cities, I might move up there. for now, its a 35 minute drive

Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 PM

923 posts, read 3,514,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Aww, hugs to you Fearweather!

I personally, as a woman, can't risk being friendly with the people around me (Southern California isn't known as serial killer central for nothing! LOL!). I don't trust anyone! I always get the feeling someone wants something from me (man or woman), because people are so broke and barely hanging on. Even as you stated - THE RICH AREN'T AS RICH AS THEY PORTRAY THEMSELVES TO BE.

Another thing I don't like about Los Angeles are some of the blacks crazy paranoia about white people! I'm African American, but I don't look at whites the same way they do HERE. There's this insane "don't trust whitey, because he's out to get us" thing that's beyond real. No, I don't think all white people love us, but **** I don't think they're the spawn of satan either! LOL! Man, you gotta be there listening to know what I'm talking about. I am so happy I wasn't raised here. Thank God for small favors.

Like for instance, I was temping at one of the studio lots for a couple of months and I was sitting outside having lunch with another girl, also black. Well all of a sudden these black hooker looking chicks wave to us and we say hi back. So they get closer then from out of nowhere one of them says "We all need to speak to each other because we IS on the plantation." No freakin lie! I couldn't believe it. These people didn't know either one of us from adam and thought it was okay to say this. For all she knows I could have been half white or had a white husband or something. Unfortunately, this would not be my last foray into the crazy world of California blacks' paranoia of white people.
Great and honest post--thanks
DLS

Old 12-15-2006, 01:23 PM

31 posts, read 144,051 times
I just moved into a loft downtown from Mid-Wilshire. Love it! All the development is beginning to bring in a lot of exciting new restaurants and clubs. I'm two blocks from the LA Live site and will be able to walk to the movies. Plus the Grand Avenue project with also add to downtown's transformation. I'm also three blocks from the Red Line (which I use often on weekends to get to Hollywod & Highland for movies. Some weekends, I just leave my car at home. My commute is 20 minutes up Olympic back into Mid-Wilshire. Never have to go on the freeeways. Do I love LA? After 20 plus years, a big "yes"!

For the LA haters and doomsayers on this board, your shtik is getting old. Please, please move somewhere else and quit whining already. I'll even help you pack your things. Really.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:55 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyguy View Post
I just moved into a loft downtown from Mid-Wilshire. Love it! All the development is beginning to bring in a lot of exciting new restaurants and clubs. I'm two blocks from the LA Live site and will be able to walk to the movies. Plus the Grand Avenue project with also add to downtown's transformation. I'm also three blocks from the Red Line (which I use often on weekends to get to Hollywod & Highland for movies. Some weekends, I just leave my car at home. My commute is 20 minutes up Olympic back into Mid-Wilshire. Never have to go on the freeeways. Do I love LA? After 20 plus years, a big "yes"!

For the LA haters and doomsayers on this board, your shtik is getting old. Please, please move somewhere else and quit whining already. I'll even help you pack your things. Really.
As I said in another thread where you essentially said the same thing and then took out your sword to those that offer a different opinion. It is so great to have you share your positive experience and a great counter balance. Good for you. But there is no need to personally attack other posters, just because they disagree and tell them to leave.

Besides I must say as a person reading your posts, I see a discrepancy here. I see a poster that loves LA and then I see what horrible disrespect and behavior they display toward others and that tells me a bit about this one person that finally says, "I love LA."

I think it is legitimate for me to then ask, "Is this the type of person that loves LA? No wonder nice people want to leave." I think that is a logical assessment. They say our behavior says more then our words and in this case I might just say, you are telling people a lot about LA without realizing it.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:02 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,026,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyguy View Post

Copyguy, your post, although blunt, is positive and refreshing. It's good to have you here. This thread has been monopolized by the "haters" for too long.

Old 12-15-2006, 03:05 PM

346 posts, read 2,141,380 times
I have a lot of sh*t to pack. I'd gladly take you up on your offer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles