Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2006, 08:56 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,802 times

Advertisements

I've watched L.A.'s metamorphasis over the last 30 years. The building of the Metro Rail system starting with the Green Line/105 Freeway, The improvement/cleanup/gentrification of Santa Monica, West L.A., Venice, Hollywood, Silverlake, Los Feliz, Pasadena, Eagle Rock, Highland Park...as well as new entertainment/sports/concert venues, Downtown reuse redevelopment, decrease in murder rates in areas such as Westlake/Rampart Division...Hollywood BLVD improvements including cleanup and the Kodak Theatre.

My Grandfather was an engineer with the city and worked on much of the infastructure of this city. It's nice to see the backward slide of the late 60's and 70's has turned around.

Positive changes have been everywhere. Midwestern cities are dying and losing their residents to us. We must be doing something right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 12:40 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,401 times
L.A. is in a horrible state, but why are 10 million people still hangin' here like me.
j.k. about the horrible state
LOL

Old 12-19-2006, 12:51 PM

346 posts, read 2,140,516 times
LOL well LA is definitely going downhill recently. You're in Hawaii... how can you possibly know what's going on right now if you aren't here right now? Things have changed drastically. Also, people from California (especially SoCal) are moving to midwestern states haven't you been paying attention? We are losing more people than we are gaining! It's all over the news. The main new people we are getting are illegal immigrants from Mexico. It's kind of been all over every newspaper, TV station, everywhere. It doesn't even take living here to see it but we do see it. The California freeways cannot possibly support the amount of people that are here. It's obvious from the constant traffic jams especially on the weekends and rush hour. Sure there are 10 million people here, since we know that around 50-60 percent make up hispanics (some illegal) and the other 40 percent or less are uber rich or middle class people planning to leave (like myself and so many other people... well just about everyone I know from around here). Why are some staying? Some have no choice because they can't afford the extremely high price of moving. Traffic has gotten so much worse here in the last two years. I've watched it grow exponentially. It's pretty clear when you are driving the same route at the same time and then the following year it's taking an extra 30 minutes to get home and get to work. There is zero quality of life in LA unless you live for lots of bars and loud craziness day and night.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
You know... I just thought of something.

Since the violent crime rate in Los Angeles is falling (according to the FBI stats that came out yesterday) and a lot of other cities are seeing violent crime increasing -- it's obvious that the residents that are leaving are mostly criminals!

Old 12-19-2006, 01:57 PM

107 posts, read 720,909 times
Sure, UB50, if you're referring to our export of Salvador Maratrucha!

But I also distrust stats that don't count Compton as part of Los Angeles but as a separate entity. It's not.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Since the violent crime rate in Los Angeles is falling (according to the FBI stats that came out yesterday) and a lot of other cities are seeing violent crime increasing -- it's obvious that the residents that are leaving are mostly criminals!
haha great one! LOL

Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
Sure, UB50, if you're referring to our export of Salvador Maratrucha!

But I also distrust stats that don't count Compton as part of Los Angeles but as a separate entity. It's not.
I would to if I didn't know Los Angeles geographically. Compton is only in the county, it's not a part of the city of Los Angeles.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

You mean "illegals" leaving L.A. and going to other parts of the country?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
You mean "illegals" leaving L.A. and going to other parts of the country?
That's right Blue Grass Music is going to be mixed with La Cucaracha.
LOL

Old 12-19-2006, 07:18 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des_Demona View Post
LOL well LA is definitely going downhill recently. You're in Hawaii... how can you possibly know what's going on right now if you aren't here right now?
I haven't been gone that long. I visit. I have friends and family there. I lived there a very, very long time.
Quote:
Things have changed drastically.
That's your P.O.V.
Quote:
Also, people from California (especially SoCal) are moving to midwestern states haven't you been paying attention?
Yes they are, they always have, twice as many come as leave.
Quote:
We are losing more people than we are gaining! It's all over the news.
I'm not sure what your news source is but L.A. will probably double in size in the next 16-20 years.

Quote:
The main new people we are getting are illegal immigrants from Mexico. It's kind of been all over every newspaper, TV station, everywhere. It doesn't even take living here to see it but we do see it.
Yes, lots of illegals are pouring in. This is hardly new and it's hardly news.

Quote:
The California freeways cannot possibly support the amount of people that are here. It's obvious from the constant traffic jams especially on the weekends and rush hour.
I agree with you on this one. Building the Metro rail is a step in the right direction but we're headed for further gridlock.

Quote:
Sure there are 10 million people here, since we know that around 50-60 percent make up hispanics (some illegal)
Yes, there are lots of Hispanics(sic). What's your point?

Quote:
and the other 40 percent or less are uber rich or middle class people planning to leave (like myself and so many other people... well just about everyone I know from around here).
One thing about Angelenos is that they love to whine. You'll find that when it comes down to it, most really don't want to leave. If they did, they would go.

Quote:
Why are some staying? Some have no choice because they can't afford the extremely high price of moving.
Moving is only as expensive as you choose to make it. You can move on a Greyhound bus. Priorities.

Quote:
Traffic has gotten so much worse here in the last two years. I've watched it grow exponentially. It's pretty clear when you are driving the same route at the same time and then the following year it's taking an extra 30 minutes to get home and get to work.
Yes, the traffic is getting worse. I agree.

Quote:
There is zero quality of life in LA unless you live for lots of bars and loud craziness day and night.
I haven't had a drink in 11 years and I find plenty to do in L.A.. It's when I leave that I get bored and miserable. The only city in which I find more entertainment is New York.

I guess it all depends what you're looking for. I'm sorry to hear you're so unhappy and hope you find the means to realize your dream and leave L.A. It isn't for everyone and I nobody should live there who doesn't want to. People will continue to move out to Los Angeles looking for the L.A. dream. Some will find it, others will become bitter like yourself and leave when they are finally fed up enough to do it. I've watched many come from Hicksville, Square State only to complain from the time they arrive to the time they leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles