Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2006, 01:59 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyguy View Post
Fairweathergolfer. I don't recall personaly attacking anyone. Please point out one instance and I will immediately apologize. And furthermore, I did NOT imply for anyone to leave this board. I was suggesting that they move out of L.A. How on Earth am I disrespecting them? Maybe you should get a litle tougher skin, Fairweathergolfer, because it seems that you aren't meant for city life. Of course, that's only my opinion and not meant to be a personal attack on you.

And I don't really appreciate your inference that I'm one of those "mean", evil Los Angeles people waiting around every corner to ********* over. I do much volunteer work for the community (and not just serving up turkey once a year in the mission). I go to planning meetings, neighborhood association meetings, teach reading to elementary school students and many other things. Do you mind me asking how much you give to your community to try to make it a better place?

I think it's fair to ask at this point, why are so many of you who are so disgusted with L.A., still here? That's what I really don't get.

And thank you, TheRealAngelion. I'm really put off by all the L.A. bashing and honestly don't understand why it's all so one sided. Well, not anymore.

HMMM. No personal attacks aye? Well there is one right there.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 12-16-2006 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 03:01 PM

642 posts, read 3,073,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyguy View Post
Fairweathergolfer. I don't recall personaly attacking anyone. Please point out one instance and I will immediately apologize. And furthermore, I did NOT imply for anyone to leave this board. I was suggesting that they move out of L.A. How on Earth am I disrespecting them? Maybe you should get a litle tougher skin, Fairweathergolfer, because it seems that you aren't meant for city life. Of course, that's only my opinion and not meant to be a personal attack on you.
We will let the moderators decide about those comments in your previous posts and this one as well. I did go through all of your posts and there are several disrespectful insults to fellow posters, including myself in this one. I could spend my day amassing them, but it is much easier to have pointed them out to the moderators and let them decide.

The only reason I have decided to respond to you directly on this post and another in another forum is because you attacked me personally and I do have thick enough skin to not put up with it.

Since you just started posting here I will tell you this site is great for people offering their opinions, experience, and disagreements in a safe forum of respect. Flaming and attacks such as yours, direct the posts to silly ones like these where two people fight it out. That is a waste of everyone's time, including ours. This is what the moderators are for. So from here on out I will not waste my time or my fellow posters' time. Everything else is cued for the moderators. Let them decided how appropriate those sort of posts are of yours.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:43 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Default Moderator Speaks

I don't see any flaming or personal attacks here.

Everyone please stick to facts and explain your points of view or opinion. It seems that you've all done a good job with the facts despite strong opinions in all directions. I see lots of opinions backed up with reasons why the poster feels a certain way. Keep on doing that and we'll eventually arrive at some pretty good enlightenment.

I don't moderate California, as a primary area, one or more others do that, so if they have other thoughts, it will be made known.

As Officer Joe Friday on the old Los Angeles cop show "Dragnet" used to say "Just the facts, Ma'am."

Old 12-16-2006, 04:16 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,176,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yeah, we are talking about the SAME downtown. We're just seeing it thru different glasses, that's all.
I should take you on a walking tour of downtown. It's not NYC by a longshot but it does have a lot of interesting places. Have you ever been to Chinatown here?

Old 12-16-2006, 05:22 PM

436 posts, read 682,287 times
Does 'The Pantry' (ex-Mayor Riordan used to own) still serve those b-i-g, affordable breakfasts?

Old 12-16-2006, 11:38 PM

31 posts, read 144,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
Does 'The Pantry' (ex-Mayor Riordan used to own) still serve those b-i-g, affordable breakfasts?
They sure do. I was there last weekend. My frist time after being in L.A. over 20 years! But now I live only two blocks away!

Old 12-16-2006, 11:52 PM

31 posts, read 144,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Please tell us your income range: $100,000 - $120,000? More?
Isn't that a little gauche?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:05 AM

107 posts, read 721,097 times
No it is not. It is essential to know what people's financial limitations are to give accurate advice about relative safety in relocation to Los Angeles. Due to our inflated housing costs, out of towners frequently are drawn to considering dangerous areas because costs mirror what they've come from. Conversely, it is unrealistic to suggest that if a relocator wants safety, they should move to Rancho Palos Verdes, as one poster mentioned. (Yeah, if you're The Donald!) Income range is the single most important factor here in anyone posting accurate advice.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:58 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
No it is not. It is essential to know what people's financial limitations are to give accurate advice about relative safety in relocation to Los Angeles. Due to our inflated housing costs, out of towners frequently are drawn to considering dangerous areas because costs mirror what they've come from. Conversely, it is unrealistic to suggest that if a relocator wants safety, they should move to Rancho Palos Verdes, as one poster mentioned. (Yeah, if you're The Donald!) Income range is the single most important factor here in anyone posting accurate advice.
Thank you, Perdu! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Also, copyguy, you'll notice that I asked for an income range, not exactly what you make. Maybe I should simply have asked if you make over $100,000 a year, plus whether you are married or single, and whether you have kids or not. All of this makes a difference in not only what you can afford, but probably where you would choose to live in L.A.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:05 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I should take you on a walking tour of downtown. It's not NYC by a longshot but it does have a lot of interesting places. Have you ever been to Chinatown here?

Yes, it's cute.

I consider Downtown L.A. a very "grey" place. It's ugly to ME. I don't feel safe after a certain time, but maybe because I'm a woman. Even if I could afford to live there, I wouldn't. The South Bronx looks nicer.

Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Westwood and most of West L.A. would be the places I'd live. Everything's in walking distance, public transportation runs well and there are nice shops. I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles