Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 06:05 PM

186 posts, read 835,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
I think that it is fair to say that Cali has some very serious problems. The future does not look good if taxes and crime continue to go the way they are going. The high cost of real estate will keep the middle class out of Southern California. Businesses will locate where they can find qualified workers. I think that LA has seen its best days in the past. It could be turned around but not until the liberal wackos in Sacremento are driven from power and more Republicans are elected. Democrats are more concerned with hugging trees and making sure gays can sodomize each other and adopted children than with cracking down on crime, lowering taxes, and creating jobs.
I cant say I agree. the Bay Area has had no middle class for about 10 years, but they are still going strong. When houses are priced reasonably (e.g. 800k for a decent home) they STILL sell instantly. The unemployment rate is low. More jobs move in than move out. I understand what you are saying, but I doubt CA will ever grind to a halt. Foreigners and high professionals will continue to invest in the area despite high prices. IT is counterintuitive, but it works. NYC has ZERO middle class and last I checked, they are doing just fine. Just like London, Tokyo, etc. None of those cities has a middle class to speak of. As the middle class leaves, developments are popping up all over LA. Theatres are getting revamped, new cultural venues are being built, 6 billion dollars are currently invested on the westside, with an additional 6 billion on the westside. I think LA appears to be doing just fine, despite the mass exodus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,339,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
It could be turned around but not until the liberal wackos in Sacremento are driven from power and more Republicans are elected.
And you say that like it would be a good thing...

Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I can't imagine why you'd say such a thing... (Wow, I can't even type that without laughing!)

Truthfully, there are good pockets in this city, but it costs an arm and a leg to live in one. There aren't too many choices for the middle class, you're absolutely right.

What political leadership? In my opinion, the L.A. City Council is useless. It's tiresome to hear politicians blab about fixing the problems that plague this city and county, and then nothing, or very little, is actually done.

The gang problem isn't quite that bad - yet. There are ongoing efforts to try to curb or controll it. Eradication doesn't seem to be the goal anymore. Instead, the LAPD tries to negotiate truces between rival gangs - oh, yea.

L.A. is definitely turning into a city of the very rich and the very poor. The rest of us are leaving (voting with our feet).
Why would I want to stay in LA if I had the money to live in a small pocket like the Hills?
If I had that kind of money I would be gone in a blink of an eye,

Old 03-10-2007, 07:53 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,418,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrobe View Post
I cant say I agree. the Bay Area has had no middle class for about 10 years, but they are still going strong. When houses are priced reasonably (e.g. 800k for a decent home) they STILL sell instantly. The unemployment rate is low. More jobs move in than move out. I understand what you are saying, but I doubt CA will ever grind to a halt. Foreigners and high professionals will continue to invest in the area despite high prices. IT is counterintuitive, but it works. NYC has ZERO middle class and last I checked, they are doing just fine. Just like London, Tokyo, etc. None of those cities has a middle class to speak of. As the middle class leaves, developments are popping up all over LA. Theatres are getting revamped, new cultural venues are being built, 6 billion dollars are currently invested on the westside, with an additional 6 billion on the westside. I think LA appears to be doing just fine, despite the mass exodus.
The Bay Area is barely growing. A few thousand a year is nothing.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:24 PM

17 posts, read 219,241 times
Quote:
LA county is the 10th largest state in the US and accounts for I dont know how

LMAO... LA COUNTY IS NOT A STATE =] Someone needs to take a gegography class... no wonder everyone says that schools in L.A suck

I lived in Culver City for like 2 years and I think that L.A is going down except for all the coastal cities... now i live at my home in Chicago...

in chi we got a nice downtownn =] unlike you in LA
but cant beat the entertainment in L.A

Old 04-16-2007, 05:07 AM

82 posts, read 522,204 times
Default L.A.??? Toilet??

Many parts of ARE a toilet.

I live on the fringe at the beach, its just wonderful here. Many of my neighbors wander to the small park along the water every afternoon and we keep up on whatever. Cleanest air in L.A., its all straight from the Pacific Ocean.
If we want things that L.A., etc. can provide, we can go, but in the meantime we're very happy beach people.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 40,502 times
do not re-elect mayor villaraigosa,stop his political career now,he is just a career politician looking for the next photo op to further his career in hopes of being the govenor someday,if you think LA is bad imagine him in charge of california,what a mess that would be,there is a better choice,someone who has your best interest at heart and can return LA to the great city it was before http://www.mooreisbetter.com

Last edited by airjunky; 06-05-2007 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
Well, personally, I think there are plenty.

We packed up from our home in Pasadena 2 years ago and came out to NC. We live in the Charlotte area. Many days I miss CA terribly, but Charlotte has a lot going for it (as does the Raleigh area.)

I would still like to get back out West. DH is adament that we NOT move back to LA though.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquityTrader View Post
Tell me one city in the US that has something going for it and is not "going down the toilet"

I know I can't find one

Old 06-09-2007, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 25,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
I Think Everyone On This Website Is A Little Off On Los Angeles. But I Am Truly Not Offended Friends. The City Is Large, But It's Not A Suffocating Anaconda. The Immigrants Are Definently Noticable, But They Don't Kill Americans, And They Don't Litter More Than Others. They Are Good Honest People Who Are Here For One Reason, El Dinero (money), They Come From Poor Locations In Their Homeland. Southern California Has The Best Weather In The World, The Summers Are Dry, Not Humid, And Reach High 70's To Mid 90's Inland, The Mild Winters Only Reach A Low Of Mid To Upper 40's At Night With Upper 60's During The Day. The County Of Los Angeles Is Enormous, It Has The Capability To Hold The 10-12 Million People. I Live In An Upscale Suburb, Manhattan Beach. The Suburbs Are Nicer Than The City Itself, Because There Is Much Less Congestion And People, But It Is Not Unbearable To Say The Least To Be In The City. To Live In Los Angeles You Need To Develop And Immune System For The Big City. If You Can Get Used To It, You Will Be Fine...and Trust Me Folks If This City Was Too Much For Them, People Would Already Be At Los Angeles International Airport.

My main issue with illegal aliens is why do they not have to pay income tax and yet US Citizen must or face prosecution. If the illegals paid income tax I would not have a problem with their presence. They should not get a separate set of financial rules to play by in a city so costly to inhabit.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:18 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Surprisingly I got banned from the administrator for posting a similiar subject about CA as this post subject states. I'm surprised this one is still active.
I lived in the L.A. area for over 30 years, Pasadena, Arcadia, and San Gabriel areas.
And boy am I glad I left for greener pastures, like thousands of other disenchanted LA people.
You have better opportunities, living costs, less gang crime etc in AZ, CO, UT, ID. Better air, less traffic, beautiful scenerey. Great for raising families.
Certain parts of Arkansas/Missouri areas are fantastic too. An $800,000 LA area home in Arkansas would cost under $200,000 with acreage, 400.00 ppty taxes and everything else being better, including a better built/quality home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles