Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2006, 03:42 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,468,786 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles is great to some, mediocre to some, and terrible to some...the fact is most folks who write in the California forum are discontent towards Los Angeles at one time or another even if they have or haven't already relocated or thought about it...But, I do believe the pessimistic view of Los Angeles has been quite vicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 04:19 PM

31 posts, read 144,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
As I said in another thread where you essentially said the same thing and then took out your sword to those that offer a different opinion. It is so great to have you share your positive experience and a great counter balance. Good for you. But there is no need to personally attack other posters, just because they disagree and tell them to leave.

Besides I must say as a person reading your posts, I see a discrepancy here. I see a poster that loves LA and then I see what horrible disrespect and behavior they display toward others and that tells me a bit about this one person that finally says, "I love LA."

I think it is legitimate for me to then ask, "Is this the type of person that loves LA? No wonder nice people want to leave." I think that is a logical assessment. They say our behavior says more then our words and in this case I might just say, you are telling people a lot about LA without realizing it.
Fairweathergolfer. I don't recall personaly attacking anyone. Please point out one instance and I will immediately apologize. And furthermore, I did NOT imply for anyone to leave this board. I was suggesting that they move out of L.A. How on Earth am I disrespecting them? Maybe you should get a litle tougher skin, Fairweathergolfer, because it seems that you aren't meant for city life. Of course, that's only my opinion and not meant to be a personal attack on you.

And I don't really appreciate your inference that I'm one of those "mean", evil Los Angeles people waiting around every corner to ********* over. I do much volunteer work for the community (and not just serving up turkey once a year in the mission). I go to planning meetings, neighborhood association meetings, teach reading to elementary school students and many other things. Do you mind me asking how much you give to your community to try to make it a better place?

I think it's fair to ask at this point, why are so many of you who are so disgusted with L.A., still here? That's what I really don't get.

And thank you, TheRealAngelion. I'm really put off by all the L.A. bashing and honestly don't understand why it's all so one sided. Well, not anymore.

Last edited by copyguy; 12-15-2006 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: grammer, typo

Old 12-15-2006, 04:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyguy View Post
I think it's fair to ask at this point, why are so many of you who are so disgusted with L.A., still here? That's what I really don't get.
Gotta save money first and do the proper research to make sure I don't make the same mistake again for the next place. But make no mistake about it - I'm outta here as soon as able.

Also, I'm not leaving due to illegals, gangs, and increased crime like many of the other posters. My reasons are more simple:

1) Public transportation - although the third largest in the nation does not run 24 hours and is not available in some places after 8:00. Really weird. Bus services literally sucks in the valley. Thank goodness for those days I don't want to drive, I can walk to the train station (13 minutes).

2) Unable to secure a permanent job. I've been temping for three years and the only people I've seen get hired were those that KNEW someone.

3) Meeting fake, superficial people and how they're afraid to "confront" you on ANYTHING. For example, when I first moved into my apartment, my upstairs neighbors wrote me a note asking me to keep my tv or radio down. They did it twice and I was home! I was like WTF?! Why didn't they just knock on the door and TELL me?! In NYC, writing a note to someone you don't know is a sign of disrespect and cowardice. If you have something to say to someone you KNOCK ON THE DOOR. You leave notes only AFTER you've met them that way they won't take it wrong. I was so pissed that I ran upstairs banging on their door asking them WTF they were talking about. We eventually became cool and they still leave notes, but it's okay now. People would rather write notes in L.A. than TALK to you. Very, very weird.

4) Taking HOURS to get somewhere - ANYWHERE. You may think just because you have a car you'll be able to do what you want ANYTIME you want, but you have to go thru so much just to get to the **** place! LA is too crowded. I want a smaller population.

5) The weather is cool, but so what? I wanna buy a home in a couple of years. Can't do that here. Need to save for retirement and enjoy life. Go on vacations, splurge on clothes, etc. Can't do that here. Gotta watch every penny. Can't take it anymore.

But I'm also not a native Californian so I can't appreciate the "beauty" of it like you can. It's time for me to leave. Hopefully, in six months I'll be gone.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:15 PM

31 posts, read 144,049 times
Hi Marilyn220. I want to explore a couple of points with you.

"Fake, superficial people" -- Don't you think this is a gross generlization? My friends, neighbors and co-workers are some of the friendliest down-to-earth people you'll ever want to meet. I used to live in Miracle Mile. Still work there, but now live in a loft downtown. But I'm finding my new neighbors here are just as open and friendly. We had a building Halloween party and it was a blast! It sounds like you either might be having a problem meeting the right people, or letting the "plastic" people (and yeah, there are lots of them here) get under your skin too much.

Secondly, "taking HOURS to get somewhere". This I really don't understand. I was fortunate to live very close to work (no freeways for years) but once I got home, I hardly ever took the car out. . .even on weekends. Everything I needed was within ten blocks or so. I walked lots and loved it. Why are you driving hours?

I understand about the work situation. But getting a full time job IS a full time job. You have to explore all avenues. Net, contacts, craigslist, professional organiations, headhunters. You need to exaust all possibilities.

Last edited by copyguy; 12-15-2006 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-15-2006, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Hi Marilyn220. I want to explore a couple of points with you.

Secondly, "taking HOURS to get somewhere". This I really don't understand. I was fortunate to live very close to work (no freeways for years) but once I got home, I hardly ever took the car out. . .even on weekends. Everything I needed was within ten blocks or so. I walked lots and loved it. Why are you driving hours?

I understand about the work situation. But getting a full time job IS a full time job. You have to explore all avenues. Net, contacts, craigslist, professional organiations, headhunters. You need to exaust all possibilities.
I live in San Fernando Valley. NOTHING that I want to get to is in WALKING distance. The corner store is not the corner store in 80 degree heat with the sun bearing down on your back. Believe it or not, I just RECENTLY got a car, but it still takes forever to get to places. Lucky for you, you lived in what I call the "city" of LA where everything is in walking distance. I would love to live there now, but rents are over $1,000 and I can't afford it.

Please forgive me, but I think Downtown LA is one of the ugliest places I've ever seen. The only reason people go to that part of town is to work! I'm currently temping there now, so I know. It closes down at 7:00. There's like literally THOUSANDS of homeless around here. Please don't tell me you feel safe living here.

Okay, of course not EVERYONE is fake, but I'm not exactly meeting the people who post on this board. I find mostly EVERYONE here (including you ) to be real in their assessment of this city, but I side more with the "others", because their versions seem to fit more with MY views LA.

Yes, looking for a job is a full time job in itself, but it really shouldn't be taking me THREE years. I'm telling you it really is WHO YOU KNOW not WHAT YOU KNOW. And yes, that can be said of alot places, but it's more problematic HERE. No, it's time to move on.

Last edited by marilyn220; 12-15-2006 at 06:00 PM..

Old 12-15-2006, 05:58 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Quote:
I just moved into a loft downtown from Mid-Wilshire. Love it! All the development is beginning to bring in a lot of exciting new restaurants and clubs. I'm two blocks from the LA Live site and will be able to walk to the movies. Plus the Grand Avenue project with also add to downtown's transformation. I'm also three blocks from the Red Line (which I use often on weekends to get to Hollywod & Highland for movies. Some weekends, I just leave my car at home. My commute is 20 minutes up Olympic back into Mid-Wilshire. Never have to go on the freeeways. Do I love LA? After 20 plus years, a big "yes"!

For the LA haters and doomsayers on this board, your shtik is getting old. Please, please move somewhere else and quit whining already. I'll even help you pack your things. Really.
I totally agree with this. I spend a lot of time downtown (just cuz I like it) and I see all the new housing areas going up. I would LOVE to live downtown. You've made me totally envious!

Old 12-15-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I totally agree with this. I spend a lot of time downtown (just cuz I like it) and I see all the new housing areas going up. I would LOVE to live downtown. You've made me totally envious!
Okay, I don't know what "Downtown" you two are talking about, but it can't be the one I see everyday.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:41 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,175,529 times
Downtown, where the Central Library is. Where Little Tokyo and Chinatown and the garment district and the flower district and the jewelry district, Figueroa Street, Broadway, Main, Los Angeles, Hill, New Otani, Checkers, Grand Central Market, Water Grill, Staples Center, the Pantry, MOMA, the Second Street Saloon -- that downtown! Where City Hall is. And the underground mall. There is a ton of stuff down there, but you have to get out of your car to see it all.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:54 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
Quote:
I just moved into a loft downtown from Mid-Wilshire. Love it! All the development is beginning to bring in a lot of exciting new restaurants and clubs. I'm two blocks from the LA Live site and will be able to walk to the movies. Plus the Grand Avenue project with also add to downtown's transformation. I'm also three blocks from the Red Line (which I use often on weekends to get to Hollywod & Highland for movies. Some weekends, I just leave my car at home. My commute is 20 minutes up Olympic back into Mid-Wilshire. Never have to go on the freeeways. Do I love LA? After 20 plus years, a big "yes"!

For the LA haters and doomsayers on this board, your shtik is getting old. Please, please move somewhere else and quit whining already. I'll even help you pack your things. Really.
Obviously, you are one of the few who can actually AFFORD to live in a loft downtown! Personally, I wouldn't choose to live there, but I'm glad you're so happy. Please tell us your income range: $100,000 - $120,000? More? Because those of us who are raising families cannot afford to live in one of those new renovated lofts.

The minute I can afford to move out of L.A., believe me, I'm gone. I see nothing wrong with preparing people who are thinking of living here, however. The reality of this city is that there really are two different lifestyles - one for those who are rich, and one for those who are not.

Old 12-16-2006, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Downtown, where the Central Library is. Where Little Tokyo and Chinatown and the garment district and the flower district and the jewelry district, Figueroa Street, Broadway, Main, Los Angeles, Hill, New Otani, Checkers, Grand Central Market, Water Grill, Staples Center, the Pantry, MOMA, the Second Street Saloon -- that downtown! Where City Hall is. And the underground mall. There is a ton of stuff down there, but you have to get out of your car to see it all.
Yeah, we are talking about the SAME downtown. We're just seeing it thru different glasses, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles