Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2006, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,983 times

Advertisements

Hi, to all. First of all I am a home owner in California,South Bay area, Torrance. It is really nice to live here. It is somewhere that I think many people would love to live. I live 1mile from the beach,1 mile from Palos Verdes. I bought my house in 2000 for 375,000.00 US. Now it is worth about 700,000.00. I am happy that the price has gone up. I also have a small custom cabinet shop with my husband. We both work together, we do not have workers. I am thinking of relocating to somewhere that I can buy a large land and have a cabinet shop with a house. The cabinet business have been changing and will continue. Larger cabinet shops is taking over. The insurance is amazing. Worker comp is too expensive to have workers in a small shop. The sales is too small in a small shop. I am thinking to make the shop bigger but afraid of business tax/workers comp. I pay $2,400.00 a month for rent for a 3000 square foot building in Gardena Calif. That is a lot of money for a small shop. I know that I am being forced to get out or close the business. California is loosing a lot of people and business owners because of taxes and (workers comp). My husband have been in business for over 17yrs. I have been with him 7yrs. So he is giving up and do not know what to do. He is stressed with the business. I am taking the cabinet business as my challenge for 2007. I know that I would do good with the business here in Calif or anywhere else. I am just considering where do I want to make a new start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 08:05 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
I have a vague, off the wall suggestion for you that would need a lot of research, but you said "anywhere else." There are many areas of custom mfg. in the U.S. that are moving overseas and leaving a skilled workforce here unemployed. Hickory, North Carolina is one such place that specialized in mfg. of wooden furniture. Therefore one should be able to hire skilled workers at a lower scale, due to competition.

The obvious trade-off is going from one of the better coastal communities in L.A. to an unfamiliar area, but at least that unfamiliar area is situated in what, according to these forums and many other other sites, is in the most desirable section of that state, the mountain region with its better Southern weather, pretty environment and lots of available land. Perhaps, after throrough research, you could use your home's equity to build the business out of state while hanging on to your house as investment. Worth considering.

You brought up a good point about how business-unfriendly Los Angeles is in general, particularly for smaller business owners. That's a matter that others reading this forum should factor into relocation.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:52 AM

436 posts, read 681,398 times
"I haven't had a drink in 11 years and I find plenty to do in L.A.. It's when I leave that I get bored and miserable. The only city in which I find more entertainment is New York.

I guess it all depends what you're looking for. I'm sorry to hear you're so unhappy and hope you find the means to realize your dream and leave L.A. It isn't for everyone and I nobody should live there who doesn't want to. People will continue to move out to Los Angeles looking for the L.A. dream. Some will find it, others will become bitter like yourself and leave when they are finally fed up enough to do it. I've watched many come from Hicksville, Square State only to complain from the time they arrive to the time they leave."

Much truth & level-headed common sense in your post.
LA's not everyone's cup-of-tea, but for many more it's a vibrant city with many choices.
Like other cities with unlimited things to do, and a diverse, open-minded populace, the cost of living/housing is the killer in the deal.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:15 AM

17 posts, read 124,631 times
I am kinda suprised that so many people want to get out of L.A,
and I wanna go straight in their.Didnt expected that but here i learned again
that everybody have diffrent views and diffrent kinda expections of their
dream city.I think it depends on what kind of company you with then of course the upbringing of the parents.Like I am Black and my mom is white and I heard already Black Friends of mine sayin that they can´t tell that I got raced by a white woman because I realized there are diffrences between
black/white/Latino etc. upbringing simply because of the cultur and the own character.

For some chines its natural to eat dogs when i heard the first time about it
I almost got a heart attack you know what I mean.

What is stranghe and ornery for you isn´t for me.
And what is stranghe and ornery me isn´t for you.

**** Im good
Just jokin

Old 12-30-2006, 01:13 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,851 times
L.A may have problems,but it's definately not going down the toilet....L.A has Enormous Potential and Global Influence,so even if this Megalopolis is experiencing problems,just give it some time and you will see a turnaround,but unfortunately the cost of living there will always remain high,just like most of California.

I don't ever see L.A dying out like some of the Rust Belt Cities.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:26 AM

531 posts, read 2,073,907 times
if i was rich i would live in newport beach and watch good looking blondes all day go to the beach. i would live in my own world and never step foot in places like santa ana.

Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 AM

128 posts, read 461,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Right on. Not only are the biggest whiners on here not city people, they are also very provincial and clueless because they have traveled very little or not at all to other major U.S. and foreign cities with populations of $1 million plus people. If they had that frame of reference, they'd see why LA in comparison to other mega cities is a great deal. They don't accept that LA is now a mega city that is now more urban than suburban in sensibility. They want LA to be the sprawling white suburb it was in the 40s and 50s, like Simi Valley and South Orange County are today.
hello, i am canadian

I won't begin to speculate on LA; b/c i've never been there. I have been to NYC; - specifically Harlem, queens, brooklyn, manhattan- and I never felt scared. There were bloods in harlem and i felt fine. I did walk around in a group though and i am a black canadian- so it does help in those areas.

It seems as though white are the minority in LA and I find these testimonies fascinating and addicting to read.. The media hypes LA really, really good then i must say.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candid Canuck View Post
hello, i am canadian

I won't begin to speculate on LA; b/c i've never been there. I have been to NYC; - specifically Harlem, queens, brooklyn, manhattan- and I never felt scared. There were bloods in harlem and i felt fine. I did walk around in a group though and i am a black canadian- so it does help in those areas.
I don't think it would have helped in Bensonhurst, Howard Beach, or Ozone Park. If I was black I wouldn't want to go in those areas of NYC....

Old 01-19-2007, 02:29 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
if i was rich i would live in newport beach and watch good looking blondes all day go to the beach. i would live in my own world and never step foot in places like santa ana.
Newport is like the equivalent of a .3 world country. Ultra-planning, worry-free living, posh home...
While, LA is thought to be the equivalent of a 3rd world country. (..That's kind of sad. lol)

Also, 85% of the world would seriously laugh at "the problems" discussed here. Most people wouldn't even consider them problems. Fake turf or real turf by the turning lane on San Joaquin?! --eh, city vote!

There's a famous statement in Newport, it goes..
.. "If we could build a wall around this city we would."

Old 01-19-2007, 10:22 AM

128 posts, read 461,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I don't think it would have helped in Bensonhurst, Howard Beach, or Ozone Park. If I was black I wouldn't want to go in those areas of NYC....

ya got that right!!!!!! Ozone park was Gotti-town back in the 80's and it's filled with all kinds of minorities. In Italy- I mean Bensonhurst they don't like "mulees" on their turf for sure. not sure about Howard Beach though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles