Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 01:44 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,725 times

Advertisements

Cleaner than LA, a lot more conservative, has very few Blacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:03 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deshawn.bolden._. View Post
That could be cause of its age of development and or having like no history..
Like no history? You mean having the oldest surviving building and neighborhood in California, that kind of like no history?

Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,116,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
The OC sub-forum has an interesting thread with a lot of potential: What do folks in the OC think of LA. I think flipping the question will provide some entertainment.

So if you're an Angeleno, what do you think of "the" OC?
I think this is one of those stupid topics "What do people in city X think about city Y?"

To be honest I never think about OC unless I'm on the freeway driving through it, except I usually take the 210 to San Diego so I never drive through OC. So I never think about it. Never.

Don't they have an Orange County in Florida? I think about the two about the same amount of time. Couple nanoseconds per year.

Why do ppl start these topics? Why not start an interesting topic like how many warts does a frog have?

Old 02-25-2017, 03:12 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
It seems as if most of the white non-Hispanic people who live in Long Beach, Lakewood, Signal Hill, Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey and La Habra Heights, myself included, tend to identify more with Orange County than Los Angeles due in large part to the proximity principle.

First and foremost, the more upscale areas of the Gateway Cities region tend to be very close to Orange County from a geographic standpoint and, therefore, much more accessible, given that traffic in Orange County is lighter than in LA and parking is more plentiful.

Most of the whites who were born and raised in the Gateway Cities seem to be fairly conservative in political ideology. Therefore, they tend to identify more with Orange County politics than LA politics.

Also, many whites in the Gateway Cities feel a stronger cultural connection to Orange County because there are many more white people who live in Orange County relative to LA. On a similar note, many whites who grew up in the Gateway Cities were among the first to settle Orange County in the 1970's and 80's, so a lot of whites still living in, say, Downey or Lakewood most likely have extended family in Orange County.

In Southern California, there seems to be very pronounced divisions in "California culture" among different ethnic / racial groups. Anglo whites, Mexicans, Asians, blacks, etc. all seem to have very different respective cultures. Many minority friends of mine in both LA and Orange County feel as though Orange County's overarching culture is the white California culture that is marketed and sold to the rest of the world. Because my friends are brown, have parents who don't speak English, grew up poor or working-class, etc., they simply cannot identify with white California culture, which tends to be place emphasis on leisure and more expensive hobbies, delicacies and toys (i.e., surfing, horseback-riding, world travel, expensive foreign cars, varied cuisine, etc.).

Old 02-25-2017, 03:20 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
It seems as if most of the white non-Hispanic people who live in Long Beach, Lakewood, Signal Hill, Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey and La Habra Heights, myself included, tend to identify more with Orange County than Los Angeles due in large part to the proximity principle.
Interesting statement. I grew up in La Habra, and I was very aware that we lived in OC and not LA County. However, I did not realize until well after I grew up that La Habra Heights was not only a separate city, but was in LA County--and I was pretty surprised to hear that. It was literally right up the street from us, half the kids at my school lived there, and it just seemed like part of La Habra/OC.

I think Whittier belongs in your list, too.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:30 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

First and foremost, the more upscale areas of the Gateway Cities region tend to be very close to Orange County from a geographic standpoint and, therefore, much more accessible, given that traffic in Orange County is lighter than in LA and parking is more plentiful.

Most of the whites who were born and raised in the Gateway Cities seem to be fairly conservative in political ideology. Therefore, they tend to identify more with Orange County politics than LA politics.

Also, many whites in the Gateway Cities feel a stronger cultural connection to Orange County because there are many more white people who live in Orange County relative to LA. On a similar note, many whites who grew up in the Gateway Cities were among the first to settle Orange County in the 1970's and 80's, so a lot of whites still living in, say, Downey or Lakewood most likely have extended family in Orange County.

In Southern California, there seems to be very pronounced divisions in "California culture" among different ethnic / racial groups. Anglo whites, Mexicans, Asians, blacks, etc. all seem to have very different respective cultures. Many minority friends of mine in both LA and Orange County feel as though Orange County's overarching culture is the white California culture that is marketed and sold to the rest of the world. Because my friends are brown, have parents who don't speak English, grew up poor or working-class, etc., they simply cannot identify with white California culture, which tends to be place emphasis on leisure and more expensive hobbies, delicacies and toys (i.e., surfing, horseback-riding, world travel, expensive foreign cars, varied cuisine, etc.).
LOL I started a thread about this, pockets of white people in the Gateway Cities. I was staying in Stanton. So I was like right at the border of OC and Gateway Cities. OC seems like many Asian and Mexican there as well. I may have skipped over Cerritos, and Bellflower on my little joyrides.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:01 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,124 times
Suburban, more conservative, somewhat more entitled. Some of the people have an eccentricity about them that seems contrived. The ones that have a couple nickles in their pocket don't know how to be tasteful - lack sophistication or depth.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:19 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,138,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Suburban, more conservative, somewhat more entitled. Some of the people have an eccentricity about them that seems contrived. The ones that have a couple nickles in their pocket don't know how to be tasteful - lack sophistication or depth.
It seems you live in North Carolina. Are you an Angeleno? If you were an Angeleno and not a visitor or previous short term resident, you would know that Orange County is not really that different from LA (most especially the old LA).

Old 02-27-2017, 09:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think this is one of those stupid topics "What do people in city X think about city Y?"

Why do ppl start these topics? Why not start an interesting topic like how many warts does a frog have?
How miserable does one have to be to chose a shoot-the-sh*t thread explicitly marked entertainment and voluntarily get worked up about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Aside from the suburban and conservative notes, this description feels better suited for LA folk than OC folk. My own experiences and completely made up stats tell me LA proper is primarily comprised of blow-hard transplants spending as much as they make, leasing the most gaudy vehicle their credit will buy them. Are these folks also in OC? Surely. But you'd be hard pressed to say their ratios exceed LA's.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:11 PM

197 posts, read 199,509 times
One day all of that area from Oxnard to the Mexican border will be one huge grafetti filled traffic jam chock full of illegals. I truly think Mexicans will take back South Kalufurnya. It seems to be just a matter of when, not if. Honestly, you could not pay me enough to live in Kalufurnya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles