Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:55 PM

128 posts, read 148,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Anything in downtown Glendale and north is as nice or nicer then Burbank. North Glendale (Montrose, La Cresecneta) is much nicer then any part of Burbank unless you are way up in the foothills area of Burbank but then again you can be the that same area on the Glendale side in multimillion dollar homes. It's getting harder to find a one bedroom for under $1500 in either city. South Glendale is still "junky" and you can find find a one bedroom for $1100-1200 if your lucky and it's still very safe
If were talking safe what are the possible threats in areas like Glendale? just homeless bums? I'd imagine the gang activity is more in the south central/East LA areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post
If were talking safe what are the possible threats in areas like Glendale? just homeless bums? I'd imagine the gang activity is more in the south central/East LA areas
From my experience and what I've heard the homeless issue is nowhere near as bad as in the city of L.A

Glendale and Burbank are independent cities within Los Angeles just like Beverly Hills ,Santa Monica etc

This means that they have their own police departments and other city services .

Los Angeles is a huge city and spread out and not very well run in general .

I haven't heard too much about gang activity or violent crime in Glendale really .
Personally I fell overall Burbank is nicer . I never really feel unsafe in either Glendale or Burbank though .

lots of retail dining options in both areas they aren't just like bedroom communities where you have to leave the area to do anything

Old 05-05-2017, 07:58 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,311,225 times
Quote:
Anything in downtown Glendale and north is as nice or nicer then Burbank. North Glendale (Montrose, La Cresecneta) is much nicer then any part of Burbank unless you are way up in the foothills area of Burbank but then again you can be the that same area on the Glendale side in multimillion dollar homes. It's getting harder to find a one bedroom for under $1500 in either city. South Glendale is still "junky" and you can find find a one bedroom for $1100-1200 if your lucky and it's still very safe
yeah I was referring to south glendale but that's where most of "glendale" is.
burbank is just a little more conveniently located to most of LA so its a slightly better choice, particularly for entertianment industry jobs

Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a decent value for $1100-1200 for a 1 bedroom in Glendale even if it's junky .. I haven't really looked in that area .

I know back in 2009 I rented a 1 bedroom in Hollywood for $1100 and rents have gone up considerably since then

I drove through my old block recently and saw several new construction buildings . It's actually surprising there are so many older buildings around in that area

Old 05-05-2017, 08:08 PM

what are some good jobs to look at to make ends meet if I were expected to drop 1600-1800/month on rent?

Old 05-05-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun2123 View Post
what are some good jobs to look at to make ends meet if I were expected to drop 1600-1800/month on rent?
If not something in your field ( for right now ) perhaps something in the service industry where you can make good tips . Not sure if you have experience in this field .

Otherwise perhaps the sales industry, if you are good at sales or could be good at sales

If you can sell you don't need a degree and can make a lot of money .

Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If not something in your field ( for right now ) perhaps something in the service industry where you can make good tips . Not sure if you have experience in this field .

Otherwise perhaps the sales industry, if you are good at sales or could be good at sales

If you can sell you don't need a degree and can make a lot of money .
Appreciate the feedback

Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'd budget closer to $ 2,000 + for a decent apartment in a safe area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Actually, the cost of living is quite affordable with decent apartments readily available for $3500/month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Agreed with ^Mr_Geek. A roommate situation is really the way to go here.

$1500/mo will get you a crap studio in a sh*tty area...and I'm guessing you want to avoid that. Rooms in nicer areas go for ~$1100. Rent month-by-month so you can up and leave if you land a engineering position and want to get your own place.

Can't speak to the mechanical engineer market, unfortunately.

Don't switch your car insurance to be LA-based, if possible. Costs here are much higher than SEA.

It's entirely possible that you end up not liking LA, being that visiting LA vs. living in LA are very different experiences. So don't run and sign a 12-mo lease until you have been here for 6mo+.

Good luck
I swear some of ya'll are jacking up prices for the sake of trolling, are severely mis-informed, or doing your best to keep another car off the road. It sounds like the OP has a degree and is looking for a professional job, not go and beg for work in your local Home Depot.

OP, if you go on craigslist right now, you will some Apartments in areas such as Tarzana, and Sherman Oaks for 12-1500 per month. Hardly crap areas. Burbank and Valley Village as well.

Some posters apparently have this Hugh Hefner idea of what is good living and anything less is considered uncivilized. Ridiculous.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I swear some of ya'll are jacking up prices for the sake of trolling, are severely mis-informed, or doing your best to keep another car off the road. It sounds like the OP has a degree and is looking for a professional job, not go and beg for work in your local Home Depot.

OP, if you go on craigslist right now, you will some Apartments in areas such as Tarzana, and Sherman Oaks for 12-1500 per month. Hardly crap areas. Burbank and Valley Village as well.

Some posters apparently have this Hugh Hefner idea of what is good living and anything less is considered uncivilized. Ridiculous.
Appreciate your honesty that helps a lot. I just got tired of flying to LA so much in one year for job interviews I'd rather just move down there and interview much more conveniently till something happens.

1500/month I know is realistic in many areas. Its just the type of job I should look at getting prior to moving there is my biggest question now

Old 05-06-2017, 11:58 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,226,530 times
1500 is fine, you could find something in k-town for that much. Just remember to add car expenses to that budget. Honestly L.A. is becoming more expensive than NYC metro (if you include car expenses) at the moment for renters - and you wouldn't have to deal with "traffic".

But as someone else suggested, do the roommate situation first if you don't have family here willing to help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles