Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 01:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Unfortunately it will be a long time before the state adopts a more progressive CA style income tax scheme since they don't have one at all.

Well the idea that Texas is some right wing haven for the worst elements of the reactionary right is a bogus media narrative. Texas is way more live and let live, and is center-right or libertarian depending on how you talk to. The state just allows for religious and very conservative people to have a say and sometimes participate and win in the political sphere. It doesn't stifle or try to stifle other points of views. I mean yeah it leads to some of the most out there views, I mean the state is home to some off the wall conspiracy laden theories peddled by people with a lack of real knowledge, but it allows for them to at least have a say.

There seems to be a growing trend in this country, especially among liberals, to adopt a European sense of free speech. They believe over there that if speech harms someone or has the potential to harm someone, then speech should be limited. They don't have the free speech at all costs kind of mentality that we do here. They're not free speech absolutists. Liberals might disagree by saying they don't want the government coming down and silencing folks but act as de facto lynch mob to marginalize views they believe don't belong in the mainstream.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:55 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Liberal native Angeleno here. I left. It had nothing to do with being fed up with policies I agreed with, I got priced out. Live in Houston now. Love it. Liberal city in red state. I dont like the red state part, but its fine. Houston's been great to me.

BTW, most of the people leaving California arent conservative. They just got priced out.
Why are people getting priced out? Oh yeah, taxes and theivery from the liberal government that morons keep voting in favor or and then complaining when they can't afford to live here anymore

Old 08-04-2017, 02:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Why are people getting priced out? Oh yeah, taxes and theivery from the liberal government that morons keep voting in favor or and then complaining when they can't afford to live here anymore
Its not that, its desirability and foreign investment.

California is desirable. People really want to be there. People are willing to pay more to live there than other places. But it reaches a tipping point. Eventually you cant afford to be there because so many came before you and there are so many on a waiting list.

Then you have so many from China and South Korea that have bought up so many of the properties in LA. Its not as bad as Vancouver and Toronto, but still bad.

I could pay my taxes fine. Land is just too expensive. Property taxes are wayyyy higher in Texas than California.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:31 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Its not that, its desirability and foreign investment.

California is desirable. People really want to be there. People are willing to pay more to live there than other places. But it reaches a tipping point. Eventually you cant afford to be there because so many came before you and there are so many on a waiting list.

Then you have so many from China and South Korea that have bought up so many of the properties in LA. Its not as bad as Vancouver and Toronto, but still bad.

I could pay my taxes fine. Land is just too expensive. Property taxes are wayyyy higher in Texas than California.
Property taxes are higher but you can buy a similar home for about a 3rd or less .
Also no state income tax in TX

$1million home in L.A will cost about $330,000 or less in Houston won't it t ?

You can't even touch a single family for under $1 million in the Westside these days.

You'll probably get a nicer home in a nicer area and a newer and bigger home too .

Old 08-04-2017, 02:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Property taxes are higher but you can buy a similar home for about a 3rd or less .
Also no state income tax in TX

$1million home in L.A will cost about $330,000 or less in Houston won't it t ?

You can't even touch a single family for under $1 million in the Westside these days.

You'll probably get a nicer home in a nicer area and a newer and bigger home too .
There are still a few, although they're getting fewer and far between, in 90066, 90034, and 90064, and a very, very few in Culver, for under a million. However, for under $900K, the only westside area you can find an SFR in is Westchester.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:06 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
I'm sure the rest of the country prefers that liberals stay here and move here. I don't want to move back East and see California plates everywhere.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:11 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,826,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-45 View Post
So the reason you can't live in CA is because of the state income tax, auto fees/registration, state fuel taxes, and sales tax? Interesting Can't say I've heard one wage earning person state any of those things as the reason they moved out of CA. Very strange.
Because a few thousand dollars a year doesn't add up for most normal working people? People make $100k here and live modestly and have no savings at the end of the year. COL doesn't simply equal housing expenses.

Beyond expenses, there is the moral question of how much of your money should you unwillingly hand to the government so they can do things like hand $1.3 billion of that back to illegals in wellfare every two years. It's hard to continue living here if you are truly American and value freedom.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:08 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Because a few thousand dollars a year doesn't add up for most normal working people? People make $100k here and live modestly and have no savings at the end of the year. COL doesn't simply equal housing expenses.

Beyond expenses, there is the moral question of how much of your money should you unwillingly hand to the government so they can do things like hand $1.3 billion of that back to illegals in wellfare every two years. It's hard to continue living here if you are truly American and value freedom.
Then move. I honestly think that all of California's Conservatives congregate on this forum from all the bitching and whining they do.

Move to Kansas. I'm sure you'll find it much better.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:55 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Buck View Post
I'm guessing you're not a very objective person. The economy is going in the right direction. Would you like to see the standard of living for the average American increased? If you do, then you should be happy with Trump's economic results thus far.
You don't sound very objective either. The reality is that presidents have far less control over the economy than you might imagine. Presidential economic records are highly dependent on the dumb luck of where the nation is in the economic cycle. And the White House has no control over the demographic and technological forces that influence the economy.

Even in areas where the president really does have power to shape the economy — appointing Federal Reserve governors, steering fiscal and regulatory policy, responding to crises and external shocks — the relationship between presidential action and economic outcome is often uncertain and hard to prove.

Under Bill Clinton the U.S. logged FIVE years of annual GDP growth of 4.0% or greater. The 1990's was an extended and historic period of economic prosperity (the longest recorded expansion in the history of the United States).

I voted for Bill Clinton but I'd never claim he was some kind of economic miracle worker responsible for that historic expansion. Favorable demographic trends and technological trends were largely responsible. He also came into office just as the business cycle was moving upward.

You can tell us how great Trump is but the fact is the economic performance of the first 6 months of a President's term have virtually nothing to do with the new president.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:02 AM

1,122 posts, read 962,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
California is lost. The best thing for us to do is to contain that Cancer, and stop it from spreading like it has in the past.
I so agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles