Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 01:17 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,480,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

The middle class Californians have it extremely hard right now and I honestly don’t understand why they put up with it.
They're scared. I think it's going to take a revolution to change this country.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,655,980 times
Quote:
San Diego is becoming the land of the rich and poor. Our homeless population is out of control. We have the 4th highest homeless population in the country, with sky high housing prices, low wages, not enough higher paying jobs has created a situation where many people that move here with money, are not actually working a day job,,but rather have other investments or work from home so the many jobs in SD isn’t career based but rather in low-moderate paying industries that don’t pay even close enough to what rents and homes are going for.

At least in the Bay Area and L.A. there are many different kinds of career based jobs that offer better opportunities for people and the wages are much higher for similar jobs compared to SD.

The middle class Californians have it extremely hard right now and I honestly don’t understand why they put up with it.
That's why so many non-wealthy are leaving the state.

San Diego's problems are actually very similar to L.A.'s. San Diego's standard of living is actually lower than Modesto's and not that much higher than Stockton's, according to a ranking developed by the Center for Opportunity Urbanism, and far beneath San Jose and San Francisco. In turn Stockton's is actually higher than L.A.'s.

"Yet the coast is not in the clear either, as No. 102 Oxnard’s ranking suggests. But perhaps more surprising is the poor showing by No. 92 San Diego, which has a strong technology economy, and even worse the massive Los Angeles area, home to Hollywood, which ranks 100th, by far the worst among the 10 largest metropolitan areas on our list. The reason? An average salary that is barely above the national average but with a cost of living, driven by high housing prices that drops the value of the paycheck to 20% below the national average."

The Cities Where a Paycheck Stretches the Furthest 2017 - Joel Kotkin

Old 12-16-2017, 01:37 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,780,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
One thing that gets me about that article is he says that poverty is a failure of society. That's only half right. What about people who fail their society?

A lot of those people on skid row are there because THEY FAILED IN THEIR OBLIGATIONS TO SOCIETY AND IT WAS THEIR CHOICE TO DO SO.

Take note that there are other honest hardworking people out there living on the edge. They're the ones being failed by society.
Very true, the housing market conditions in coastal CA cities, has skewed towards the wealthy in the past 10 years at rapid pace with no end in site.

Yes, hardworking people that follow the rules, make something out of themselves, aren’t able to afford a home, many not even the rent, this tells me that the government seriously needs to step in and implement a moratorium on any new luxury condo developments, and somehow implement caps on how high home prices can go. Not sure how that will work, but this capitalist market has created an increase in poverty and homeless among families and hardworking Californians that don’t deserve this. So it’s not just the drugged out, lazy ones out there on the streets, but people from all walks of life.

CA can’t continue down this path without seriously dire consequences in the coming years economically.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Very true, the housing market conditions in coastal CA cities, has skewed towards the wealthy in the past 10 years at rapid pace with no end in site.

Yes, hardworking people that follow the rules, make something out of themselves, aren’t able to afford a home, many not even the rent, this tells me that the government seriously needs to step in and implement a moratorium on any new luxury condo developments, and somehow implement caps on how high home prices can go. Not sure how that will work, but this capitalist market has created an increase in poverty and homeless among families and hardworking Californians that don’t deserve this. So it’s not just the drugged out, lazy ones out there on the streets, but people from all walks of life.

CA can’t continue down this path without seriously dire consequences in the coming years economically.
Without Prop 13, the mortgage interest deduction, low interest rates, and SALT, there would be natural limits on prices. I do not favor special taxes on foreign buyers but that would also keep prices down.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:53 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,178,106 times
How much of the poverty in LA was and is imported?

Are the people who have been coming to LA, persons with high skills?

Are there enough employment opportunities in LA for the seemingly endless number of people who wish to call LA home?

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 12-16-2017 at 03:02 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 02:54 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,495,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Yeah, if only the government would back the F off of healthcare, it'd actually become affordable. But let's keep all regulations and controlling democrats love because that's definitely working out.

Never going to happen because I was raised by quality parents. When I retire, instead of taking food stamps like the buffoon above, I'm gonna be sitting on millions of dollars.

want to solve poverty?

STOP BREEDING.

Obama has literally managed to destroy this country. Thank the universe Trump is in power. He's literally the last man standing in the West.

"In an analysis of those, The Washington Post found that the bulk of cities with the biggest inequalities were located in red states while the majority of the most-distressed cities were in blue states."

Inequality in red vs. blue states - Business Insider

Obama put this country back on its feet, as proven by the hundreds of articles, tables, and charts available, after Bush almost flushed us down the toilet. This is a proven fact, over and over again. Trump is still riding Obama's positive effects. When his moronic policies kick in the flush will be heard again.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:13 PM

17 posts, read 15,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I understand that poverty can sometimes not be helped but cleanliness is a matter of choice. You don't have to be poor and dirty unless health prevents your cleaning things up.

Wow, seriously? Spoken like someone that's never been homeless. It's not like there are tons of public restrooms and shower facilities across town, so people could maybe clean themselves up and go to an interview. Rich NIMBYs like the ones on this thread consistently vote down any measure that would lend an ounce of human dignity to these people, then demonize them for doing the basic functions they need to do to survive. We could house the entire homeless population in 1 week with a fraction of what's in this corporate welfare tax bill. And you wonder why people don't want to salute the flag.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveCovfefe View Post
Wow, seriously? Spoken like someone that's never been homeless. It's not like there are tons of public restrooms and shower facilities across town, so people could maybe clean themselves up and go to an interview. Rich NIMBYs like the ones on this thread consistently vote down any measure that would lend an ounce of human dignity to these people, then demonize them for doing the basic functions they need to do to survive. We could house the entire homeless population in 1 week with a fraction of what's in this corporate welfare tax bill. And you wonder why people don't want to salute the flag.
We could house all of them - if the housing was built somewhere cheap and where there is room instead of in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

Another reason to build the camps.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:44 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,178,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
We could house all of them - if the housing was built somewhere cheap and where there is room instead of in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

Another reason to build the camps.
This.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:44 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,522,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
How much of the poverty in LA was and is imported?

Are the people who have been coming to LA, persons with high skills?

Are there enough employment opportunities in LA for the seemingly endless number of people who wish to call LA home?
Good question . I'd say a significant amount of the poverty is imported although I don't have stats .
No doubt most of the illegal immigrants are in poverty and in L.A there are many illegals of course .

I read something Sam Zell , the son of immigrants had said recently regarding immigration and thought it was interesting. We should be encouraging the best and brightest and with illegal immigration or "chain migration " we don't get that .
No doubt we'd be better off and have less of the problems we have without out of control illegal immigration that we have now in L.A and CA.

"You brought up the idea of “intelligent immigration”; in the past you’ve made a distinction between illegal and legal immigration, can you elaborate on that?

First of all, I’m not in favor of illegal anything–including illegal immigration. As far as intelligent immigration, the focus of our immigration should be to encourage the best and brightest to both come here and stay here. I’m not as sympathetic about providing grandmothers immigration as I am about allowing people that we train to stay here and add to our economy."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanth...t-immigration/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles