Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2019, 04:39 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
My empirical research outweighs yours, because I actually live here. You do not live here; hence, you have no idea how much more violent our neighborhoods have become due to the violent, mentally deranged freaks roaming our streets. Since you have no frame of reference as to what life is like here, all your dissenting arguments are mute. Good day.
As I pointed out, you aren’t conducting “empirical research”. You are spewing personal opinions. You have offered no data, empirical or otherwise. You offer no referential measurement, as your wikipedia definition points out as necessary, and no relational analysis to controls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 04:54 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
L.A and CAs complete failure on the homeless issue makes us less competitive as a state and city.

——

“Sixty-two percent also call homelessness a very serious issue for California.

It appears the housing and homelessness crises have led to a pessimistic outlook: 62 percent of those surveyed say the best days of living in California are behind them.”

Link
https://m.sfgate.com/expensive-san-f...t-13614119.php

Last edited by jm1982; 02-16-2019 at 05:03 PM..

Old 02-16-2019, 04:57 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
My empirical research outweighs yours, because I actually live here. You do not live here; hence, you have no idea how much more violent our neighborhoods have become due to the violent, mentally deranged freaks roaming our streets.
Then you'd better kick everyone else off this thread who doesn't live in your part of L.A. How dare they have an idea about how to help solve the homeless problem? The nerve.

Quote:
Since you have no frame of reference as to what life is like here...
Of course he has a frame of reference. He's actually worked with homeless veterans.

Quote:
....all your dissenting arguments are mute. Good day.
You hope that those arguments are moot, too, although it doesn't appear that they are. Good day.

Old 02-17-2019, 08:33 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
One of the abiding myths about Los Angeles is that homeless people come here from the East Coast or Midwest because at least they won’t freeze to death.

But despite L.A.’s typical sunshine and mild temperatures, five homeless people, including Brider, died of causes that included or were complicated by hypothermia in the county last year, surpassing San Francisco and New York City, which each reported two deaths. Over the last three years, 13 people have died at least partly because of the cold, the coroner’s office said. And advocates worry that this cold, rainy winter will mean more fatalities.

L.A. has great weather. So why do more homeless people die of the cold here than in New York?
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...217-story.html

Old 02-17-2019, 09:35 AM

138 posts, read 118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
No encampments should be tolerated anywhere in the city
Offer the vagrants three choices: Stop being homeless OR accept room and board in return for sobriety and WORK (via job shops) OR get arrested and be put to work. The couple of percent who truly are too ill to work, we will take care of (after we've concluded they have no assets or income). The job shops partition out work the illegals are doing now: picking crops, processing chicken, sorting recyclables, cleaning buses, repairing hiking trails, picking up trash, etc. Get tough or accept vagrancy. The the employers pay back the government to offset the cost of the room and board or incarceration. There are no other solutions. This is bullet proof. Win Win Win Win Win. If you have a better solution, provide it.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBloodedWhiteMale View Post
Offer the vagrants three choices: Stop being homeless OR accept room and board in return for sobriety and WORK (via job shops) OR get arrested and be put to work. The couple of percent who truly are too ill to work, we will take care of (after we've concluded they have no assets or income). The job shops partition out work the illegals are doing now: picking crops, processing chicken, sorting recyclables, cleaning buses, repairing hiking trails, picking up trash, etc. Get tough or accept vagrancy. The the employers pay back the government to offset the cost of the room and board or incarceration. There are no other solutions. This is bullet proof. Win Win Win Win Win. If you have a better solution, provide it.
5816 posts in this thread and you jump in with that? Being homeless is not against the law, everything you have said is predicated upon being able to arrest people simply for the fact that they don't have a place to live.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:03 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
5816 posts in this thread and you jump in with that? Being homeless is not against the law, everything you have said is predicated upon being able to arrest people simply for the fact that they don't have a place to live.
It’s not against the law .

Yet the homeless commit a lot of crime . But I know you’ll say that the LAPD don’t know a homeless person when they see one ..

—-
The number of crimes reported to Los Angeles police that describe a homeless person as a suspect rose again in January, following a large statistical increase last year that officials said has yet to be fully explained.

Los Angeles Police Department data obtained by the NBC4 I-Team showed 920 incident reports were filed by officers between Jan. 1 and Jan. 31, 2019 that included that suspect description, a 29 percent increase over January 2018.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...505807741.html

Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
It’s not against the law .
Yet the homeless commit a lot of crime . But I know you’ll say that the LAPD don’t know a homeless person when they see one ..
The number of crimes reported to Los Angeles police that describe a homeless person as a suspect rose again in January, following a large statistical increase last year that officials said has yet to be fully explained.
Los Angeles Police Department data obtained by the NBC4 I-Team showed 920 incident reports were filed by officers between Jan. 1 and Jan. 31, 2019 that included that suspect description, a 29 percent increase over January 2018.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...505807741.html
What is it that you don't understand about my response to that poster? The poster said we should arrest all of the homeless. I addressed that and told him that being homeless is not a crime. I don't want to talk about how many crimes the homeless do or do not commit. I hope you are successful in finding someone to rehash this junk once again, but it won't be me.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:41 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
For the most part they aren't lax.
The police are laxed from enforcing laws which is why SF, LA and other cities in CA have so many homeless issues.
Quote:
You just don't seem to understand that you can't arrest people for misdemeanors or infractions, like taking a dump on the sidewalk just because someone calls and reports it, it has to happen in front of the cop
I never stated otherwise but a person should be arrested for this type of behavior as well as for setting up living quarters on public land that is not intended for that purpose.
Quote:
I don't think it's the government's duty and I've said that repeatedly in this thread, but the problem is that you can't prohibit them from living on the street unless you provide them with shelter -therein lies the conundrum.
Please explain why you think the government is responsible for providing housing to able bodied people?
Quote:
Read what I said again, you can't arrest someone for having a "bike chop shop" unless you can prove the bikes are stolen and that's hard to do.
So if a person has 100's of cars on their property or in storage with the the VIN#'s removed you don't think the police can make a case?

The police can indeed arrest a person suspected of a felony crime.

BART Arrest & Discovery of Bike Chop Shop

Glad to see Long Beach cracking down. Long Beach considers bicycle ‘chop shop’ crackdown

Sadly the police in SF are up against this mentality when simply trying to enforce laws.

SF proposal targets bike ‘chop shops’ as advocates for homeless object

I suppose you see nothing here that warrants the police getting tougher on bike chop shops?

Inside San Francisco's stolen bike warehouse
Quote:
but what you post on a public forum becomes fair game for others to comment on.
I never stated otherwise.
Quote:
If you don't like that then you should just communicate with your friends via direct message.
LOL ditto!

Old 02-17-2019, 12:57 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
It’s not against the law.
It's amazing that homeless advocates don't get it. I don't see anyone in this thread stating that being homeless is a crime.

If a person finds themselves homeless they do not automatically gain immunity to the laws that apply to all of us.
Quote:
Yet the homeless commit a lot of crime.
Yes indeed they do. Anywhere you find a large homeless encampment the sounding neighborhoods suffer from increased bike thefts, stolen packages, damage to public property including large amounts of litter, trash, used condoms, needles, feces, and urine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles