Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2020, 08:30 PM

8,374 posts, read 6,474,738 times

Advertisements

I take a walk everyday with my dogs for exercise. Some derelict passed out on the sidewalk and two paramedic trucks and a cop showed up, all at taxpayers expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2020, 06:19 AM

26,812 posts, read 26,948,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I take a walk everyday with my dogs for exercise. Some derelict passed out on the sidewalk and two paramedic trucks and a cop showed up, all at taxpayers expense.
Yes, that's their job. (See post #8341.) They don't decide that they can't help someone simply because he or she does not live in a home.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:30 AM

21,787 posts, read 16,448,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Every emergency response is “at the taxpayers expense”. Every crime, medical emergency, fire, accident ... all ... EVERY one ... for housed population as well as homeless ...

Old 03-07-2020, 07:19 AM

What an uplifting story.

A lot of us see the great need all around and we want to do something useful but we’re not sure how. What can we do for someone who has lost a job and lost housing? For someone who is teetering on the edge?

This is a story about how help need not be huge to be hugely helpful, and about how helping often helps the helpers too.

City Beat: A homeless man, a Corgi and a rescue mission on two legs and four:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...s-foster-corgi

Old 03-16-2020, 06:59 AM

"And so began another workday for LA DOOR, “Diversion, Outreach, and Opportunities for Recovery,” the 3-year-old brainchild of Jamie Larson, a city prosecutor for a pilot program aimed at helping some of L.A.'s many homeless drug abusers get clean, stay out of court and jail, and — best-case scenario — into safe housing.

“When I worked in health services in San Francisco,” Larson said, “I saw how much power prosecutors have. That’s why I went to law school.”

But she didn’t want to be a prosecutor who simply sent people to jail. She first worked in San Diego and in Imperial County, she said, where the idea of sentencing someone to drug treatment instead of jail “wasn’t a really welcome option at the time.”

A Los Angeles prosecutor tries to keep addicts out of court and jail:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ighting-chance

Old 03-16-2020, 09:17 AM

42,876 posts, read 26,413,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"And so began another workday for LA DOOR, “Diversion, Outreach, and Opportunities for Recovery,” the 3-year-old brainchild of Jamie Larson, a city prosecutor for a pilot program aimed at helping some of L.A.'s many homeless drug abusers get clean, stay out of court and jail, and — best-case scenario — into safe housing.

“When I worked in health services in San Francisco,” Larson said, “I saw how much power prosecutors have. That’s why I went to law school.”

But she didn’t want to be a prosecutor who simply sent people to jail. She first worked in San Diego and in Imperial County, she said, where the idea of sentencing someone to drug treatment instead of jail “wasn’t a really welcome option at the time.”

A Los Angeles prosecutor tries to keep addicts out of court and jail:
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...ighting-chance
Thanks for posting, that was a good article.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,029,661 times
https://theconversation.com/coronavi...ne-hard-133214

The large population of homeless in LA are likely to have high mortality rates and are also likely to spread Coronavirus to others at high numbers. Lots of regularly housed people have family or friends with weak immune systems.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:04 PM

8,597 posts, read 11,028,718 times
Default So the government couldn't do it? OK....

In a somewhat short break from threads dealing with this virus, I am reminded of post I made over a year ago regarding the government rounding up the homeless, and shipping them off to the unused internment camps of WWII.
People answered back that it would be unconstitutional, and the government would never do it.

I stated if the government felt the homeless were a health threat to the rest of the population, they would certainly remove these people from the general population.
If you don't think so, guess again.
You might want to look at my older post of a year or so.

We have been ordered to shelter in place because of this virus.
Business has been ordered to close because of this virus, and you all still believe that the government couldn't round up the homeless and place them in some form of government facility?
I said it years ago it could, and this virus, and the actions taken by federal, state, and local governments absolutely backs up what I have said all along.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:13 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,000,126 times
You do bring up an interesting question

Whatever happened to the homeless with this shelter in place order? How is the LAPD enforcing this with the homeless?

Are the virus spreading faster among the homeless?

Old 03-26-2020, 01:47 PM

8,597 posts, read 11,028,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You do bring up an interesting question

Whatever happened to the homeless with this shelter in place order? How is the LAPD enforcing this with the homeless?

Are the virus spreading faster among the homeless?
I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in Los Angeles they are rounding the homeless up, and putting them in hotels, and motels.
As I stated before, don't for one minute believe the government can't take the necessary steps to safeguard the general population.
Years ago, I came on this forum and stated the government WILL take drastic actions regarding the homeless if it felt the general population was at risk.

Back then forum members accused me of talking out of my a$$, and it could never happen.
Well, it appears I know what I'M talking about after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles