Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 02:41 PM

46 posts, read 31,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm in SC. Last 4 years I've lived in DC and Denver. I ain't scared, but thanks for your concern. I have a knack for making things like this work.
Hope Florence is not beating you up too badly.

In all truth, if you can avoid Cali you should.

The state is a madhouse, the housing is overpriced, the traffic sucks, the homeless situation is out of control Gov Moonbeam is letting the criminals out, there are so many reasons not to 'live' here if you can avoid it.

It stopped being the golden state when they shot down prop 187.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 04:29 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..5.. View Post

The state is a madhouse, the housing is overpriced, the traffic sucks, the homeless situation is out of control Gov Moonbeam is letting the criminals out, there are so many reasons not to 'live' here if you can avoid it.

It sounds like you should move...?

You could probably pick something up real cheap on the coast of North or South Carolina right now...?

Regardless, that's not what the OP asked. They asked about affordable suburbs, not a whiney Trumpbot litany of issues!

Old 09-16-2018, 11:51 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
It sounds like you should move...?

You could probably pick something up real cheap on the coast of North or South Carolina right now...?

Regardless, that's not what the OP asked. They asked about affordable suburbs, not a whiney Trumpbot litany of issues!
Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but the statement about the Carolinas is silly considering an earthquake 25 years ago caused So Cal house prices to plunge and we’ve been plenty overdue for another.

Old 09-16-2018, 05:28 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Texas heat is more humid (unless you are in West TX), and it sticks around longer. I grew up in Houston and Austin where it would still be hot and humid at 2am. Out here it cools down, even if only to the low 70's.

I don't see how anyone lives more than five miles from the beach without AC. Even in Long Beach where I was 1.5 miles off the coast it got up over 100 a few times and we had quite a few days over 90. I'm in Glendale now with only window unit AC and even that is not ideal. I can't imagine being out in Covina without it.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:24 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..5.. View Post

I understand. I lived in DC, it was pricey as well. I'd just like to know what I can get for my money. My company will let me work from anywhere, but I don't want a nice house in Texas, if that makes sense? Nothing against Texas or SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
Texas heat is more humid (unless you are in West TX), and it sticks around longer. I grew up in Houston and Austin where it would still be hot and humid at 2am. Out here it cools down, even if only to the low 70's.

I don't see how anyone lives more than five miles from the beach without AC. Even in Long Beach where I was 1.5 miles off the coast it got up over 100 a few times and we had quite a few days over 90. I'm in Glendale now with only window unit AC and even that is not ideal. I can't imagine being out in Covina without it.
Thanks.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I know it sounds far but have you considered Castaic, CA? This is on the 5 just north of the 126. Think where Six Flags Magic Mountain is located. My nephew and his girl friend have put an offer on a place that is under $400,000. Both will have to commute about 45 minutes to get to work. Currently it takes them 30 minutes to get to work.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-01223?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-77431?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-81372?view=qv

Old 09-18-2018, 02:44 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
If you can live anywhere you want...within your housing budget of course, I have no idea why you'd choose a small-ish house in a meh lower range suburb in Southern California (that's over an hour away from even a hint of coastline as well) over a nicer place somewhere else.

If one has ties to the area or has a good job offer you can't turn down, sure I get it, but this would be a far cry from the experience most people envision when they move to the West Coast and leave you with a lot of the negatives regarding the region and few of the positives.

Old 09-18-2018, 03:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Not that I disagree with your sentiment, but the statement about the Carolinas is silly considering an earthquake 25 years ago caused So Cal house prices to plunge and we’ve been plenty overdue for another.
What? The only houses that were affected were the ones in the northern San Fernando Valley (i.e. Northridge and vicinity) and that was only for a few years.

Generally the Northridge earthquake did not have much effect on So. Cal. prices. My house in OC was certainly not affected.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:04 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I know it sounds far but have you considered Castaic, CA? This is on the 5 just north of the 126. Think where Six Flags Magic Mountain is located. My nephew and his girl friend have put an offer on a place that is under $400,000. Both will have to commute about 45 minutes to get to work. Currently it takes them 30 minutes to get to work.
Castaic has some creepy crime, meth labs, and skinhead groups. BUT with all that Newhall Ranch development finally going to happen, it should improve the area... that development is supposed to bring in more jobs. Santa Clarita gets crazy hot, but Castaic is much higher up and things cool down when the 5 starts to climb.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:29 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
What? The only houses that were affected were the ones in the northern San Fernando Valley (i.e. Northridge and vicinity) and that was only for a few years.

Generally the Northridge earthquake did not have much effect on So. Cal. prices. My house in OC was certainly not affected.
You can argue the cause but the fact is that in both the number of homes sold and in terms of price, oc real estate continued its fall into and through appx 1996.

You can check for yourself:

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ATNHPIUS06059A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles