Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 17,802 times

Advertisements

I have to take my behind-the-wheel driving test soon and the only available appointment that works for me is at 8:00AM at the DMV in Compton tomorrow. Everything in my area is booked up for a few weeks and it's important that I get my license as soon as possible. It would just be me and my mom going and I'm not sure we should take the chance. Is it a bad idea to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:54 PM

689 posts, read 2,583,002 times
Compton at 8am on a Friday should be no problem. I have to go look a property all over south LA including Compton and as long as I'm out before noon during the week I don't worry about it. Bad guys are in bed and most of the kids are in school.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaire View Post
I have to take my behind-the-wheel driving test soon and the only available appointment that works for me is at 8:00AM at the DMV in Compton tomorrow. Everything in my area is booked up for a few weeks and it's important that I get my license as soon as possible. It would just be me and my mom going and I'm not sure we should take the chance. Is it a bad idea to go?
Yep...its a terrible idea. Why not just wait until an appointment clears up at the West LA DMV office? Or would you rather make the 6 o clock news.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Yep...its a terrible idea. Why not just wait until an appointment clears up at the West LA DMV office? Or would you rather make the 6 o clock news.
please, stop being an hysteric! people go to compton to conduct business every day, and make it back home just fine.

OP: it's only a terrible idea if you're going to be so freaked out by people on their way to work and school that you fail to yield and fail your test!

Old 06-12-2008, 11:47 PM

12 posts, read 70,250 times
It's not the 90's anymore. The days of being at high risk for getting caught in random gunfire due to raging, intense gang wars are past.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:07 AM

32 posts, read 111,224 times
I have a question - if you had to vote for the ONE worst and most dangerous neighborhood in the LA area what would it be?

Edit: And I don't mean just run down or industrial I mean a true danger to your personal safety.

Last edited by TXCowboy010; 06-13-2008 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,434,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaire View Post
It should be alright since you are going in the morning. You should still try to be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCowboy010 View Post
I have a question - if you had to vote for the ONE worst and most dangerous neighborhood in the LA area what would it be?

Edit: And I don't mean just run down or industrial I mean a true danger to your personal safety.
The area around MacArthur Park in Westlake, East Los Angeles and Pacoima in the Valley are all pretty rough. Pacoima has seen a large decrease in crime since Chief Bratton took over in 2001.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:45 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,924 times
pacoima is as bad as it gets right now!!!

but the CPT DMV should be fine. no worries.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:09 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCowboy010 View Post

I'm not an expert on South LA neighborhoods (and I don't really want to be), but I was riding the Blue Line the other day and the area just north of Compton seemed extremely rough, impoverished, and just bleak. It literally hurt my eyes looking at the vastness of all the dilapidated bungalows and apartments stretching as far as the eye can see. Is that Watts? It made the area around the Compton blue line station look like a middle class suburb! Of course this was only one view from the train, but still. Truly third world down there.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:20 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I'm not an expert on South LA neighborhoods (and I don't really want to be), but I was riding the Blue Line the other day and the area just north of Compton seemed extremely rough, impoverished, and just bleak. It literally hurt my eyes looking at the vastness of all the dilapidated bungalows and apartments stretching as far as the eye can see. Is that Watts? It made the area around the Compton blue line station look like a middle class suburb! Of course this was only one view from the train, but still. Truly third world down there.
if i'm not mistaken about that route, you were probably looking at the imperial courts (or gardens-- i can't remember) projects just opposite the imperial hwy. station in willowbrook. yes, that area is quite bleak, and equally dangerous. many years ago, someone i know who drove a nice german sedan was stopped at a red light in front of those projects when two young thugs smashed her windshield and passenger window, and snatched her purse and jewelry. this is the reason i usually keep my purse on the floor behind me, instead of on the seat beside me when i'm driving.

you were observant to make the contrast between willowbrook and compton. from a purely aesthetic perspective, compton looks much bettter than a lot of south LA communities with a similar reputation.

Last edited by katenik; 06-15-2008 at 04:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles