Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:31 PM

54 posts, read 210,312 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived n THosand Oaks, if YES what are your thoughts on living there. Im wanting to move out of the city of LA, but I cant stand the HOT valley, ventura county seems nice.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 12:36 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Thousand Oaks is nearly as hot in the summer as the warmest parts of the SFV. However, you are closer to the beaches in TO than anywhere else in the SFV. 100 degree temps in TO are common in the summertime. Bottom line, if you're moving to TO to escape the heat in the Valley, you will be sadly dissapointed. The only way to get cooler temps in the LA area is to make sure that there are no mountains between your home and the ocean.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Marie View Post
Has anyone lived n THosand Oaks, if YES what are your thoughts on living there. Im wanting to move out of the city of LA, but I cant stand the HOT valley, ventura county seems nice.
thanks
I'd say it is probably five to ten degrees cooler than Woodland Hills on the hottest summer days. However there are many other reasons to consider TO: Good schools, well maintained infrastructure, lots of community landscaping, low crime, and many amenities.

Where do you work? Commuting from TO east is pretty nasty.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
Besides the warm temperatures, it is a nice place to live.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM

162 posts, read 572,529 times
TO for the most part is cooler than the Valley. When it gets brutal hot and it's really hot everywhere, then of course even Thousand Oaks is affected. I drive up the 101 all the time, and it'll be 10 sometimes 15 degrees different from passing through Woodland Hills and through Calabasas and Agoura and then coming home to TO. It's even a bit cooler in the Newbury Park end of TO, more ocean breeze comes up Sycamore Canyon from the beach.

I would say the weather is a good reason to move to Thousand Oaks, unless you just totally hate any heat and can't stand it for even the couple of months it might be hot here. Camarillo isn't much further and it's quite a bit cooler, and overcast a lot more, if you like that.

It's not as cool as parts of Los Angeles I guess, but I think for the most part it is quite a bit cooler than the Valley.

It all depends on your definition of "hot" I guess.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:48 PM

56 posts, read 222,414 times
If it's the heat that's bugging you, go with Camarillo. At leat 5-7 degrees cooler than TO, and only ten minutes away. Less expensive as well. Catch: You will need to commute a little farther.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:50 PM

54 posts, read 210,312 times
Its not entirely the heat, its the TRAFFIC SMOG and crowded stores thats making TO look like a nice place.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:18 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
although TO and evirons are certainly less crowded than the valley, there are only 2 freeways in and out of the area if you count the short 23. This leaves people few options to commute in or out of the area, which makes traffic absolutely horrible in no matter which direction you're headed. As for smog, i'm sure the pollution is less, but i doubt it would be by that much. TO is still located in a valley with a rather large mountain range blocking the ocean breezes from really clearing out the air.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Ventura county is not a bad place to live but if you are looking to get away from the heat TO isn't going to be much of a respite from the heat you want to avoid. I lived in Ventura but also spent a lot of time in TO, if you like coastal living then you'll prefer Ventura, but must warn you that if you are a party animal...they roll up the side walks early. Still it's a great place to live.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
although TO and evirons are certainly less crowded than the valley, there are only 2 freeways in and out of the area if you count the short 23. This leaves people few options to commute in or out of the area, which makes traffic absolutely horrible in no matter which direction you're headed.
Very true if commuting east to the valley or worse over the (405) hill or into downtown. The Conejo Valley itself has quite a bit of employment: Amgen, Farmers Insurance, Countrywide, JD Powers, Teradyne (where I worked in 1977 and 1978 when it was in Chatsworth), and all sorts of tech places. Commuting down to the Oxnard Plain is probably not too bad.

This was one of the reasons we left TO. All job opportunities for me were El Segundo and south into Orange County. Bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles