Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:34 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Just once I'd like to see a politician, any politician, any where, that would address the issue of government waste instead of simply grabbing more. Of course I remember when the Governator first took office, he tried to make the schools and several other government entities actually account for where the money was going. It seemed perfectly reasonable to me but he caught hell for it. I tend to think that when someone running a public program puts up such a fuss when asked to tell where the money goes that perhaps they protest too much and have something to hide. Maybe Arnie just gave up and fell in line with the same old song and dance of continually throwing even more money at failed projects. I wouldn't have an issue with increased registration taxes as long as it only applies to vehicles purchased AFTER the date of the tax. Maybe it'll discourage people from buying over priced look-at-me SUVs they probably can't afford anyway.

If the public agencies were run by business people instead of bureaucrats, costs would drop and quality would rise but that makes too much sense. The bureaucrats would never go for it. I find it amazing the state can always find huge chunks of cash to commission some self proclaimed artist to construct a monolithic eyesore who's sole function is to sit there and collect pigeon crap yet they're always grubbing around in my pocket looking for any change I might have left at the end of the day.

Up here where I live, that'll put my sales tax just under 10% Yippee! We've got sales tax, income tax, property tax, personal property tax...the list goes on. Prepared food is even taxed! What are they doing with all that money?
you're right. he tried to introduce some accountability and restraint into state government during his first year in office, and the people wouldn't back him. then he tried to compromise with the democrat majority in the legislature, whose idea of compromise is giving them everything they want. eventually, he began to cave, and now he doesn't even bother to wait for the legislature to come up with the the tax-and-spend proposals; he puts them out there himself. his gubernatorial tenure has been a real disappointment for those of us who voted for him because we believed that he would reign in the spending and, if not cut, at least not increase an already burdensome tax structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreem2 View Post
Mixed feelings here - I use public transportation regularly and want to see it expand. I am also a teacher in LA Unified and know FIRST HAND just how much money is wasted by LA Unified. Yes, I would give a finger or toe in exchange for an outside team of auditors to come in and seriously examine the school district budget.
you already got your increase for public transportation, but it will be interesting to see how the money actually gets spent. around here, they are famous for collecting taxes for one purpose and spending it on another.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:49 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,276,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
we believed that he would reign in the spending and, if not cut, at least not increase an already burdensome tax structure.
We had a DREAM!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
How bout a recall Grey Davis style...

Old 11-08-2008, 12:44 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
Your government leaders must be talking with the Chicago politicians. We now have the highest sales tax in the nation...over 10% and as high as 12% in downtown Chicago.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:35 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,447 times
I recall a couple of years ago when Arnold tried some ballot initiatives that put restrains on spending - I believe there were 5 or 6 initiatives and every one of them failed (I recall the unions were out in full force rallying against them). Being that Arnold is a repub. against a Democrat ruled congress, it's hard for him to get his proposals passed unless he takes it to the people... who vote against him anyway. In order to support all the social, transportation, and just spending in general, the money has to come from somewhere. CA has been in a budget deficit for 10 years. If anyone is going to support the type of spending increases that California proposes (as the latest election has displayed with the passing of very expensive bond measures) then don't be surprised if the burden of the expense gets passed on to us in the form of taxes. That's the way it is. If you want lower taxes then rally against the spending (in theory, it might work).

Old 11-08-2008, 11:10 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
you're right. he tried to introduce some accountability and restraint into state government during his first year in office, and the people wouldn't back him. then he tried to compromise with the democrat majority in the legislature, whose idea of compromise is giving them everything they want. eventually, he began to cave, and now he doesn't even bother to wait for the legislature to come up with the the tax-and-spend proposals; he puts them out there himself. his gubernatorial tenure has been a real disappointment for those of us who voted for him because we believed that he would reign in the spending and, if not cut, at least not increase an already burdensome tax structure.
I think it is unfair to blame Schwarzenegger or the Democrats in the Assembly. It is not the fault of anyone that California, like the rest of the nation, is entering a very serious recession. In-fact, some economists like Greenspan say the U.S. hasn't been hit by the coming "tsunami" yet but things are going to get much worse soon!

The tax base is shrunk since the housing crisis hit & that was a huge source for state revenue. The economy is very bad & getting worse w/ people being laid-off in alarming numbers.

The state assembly/senate were 3 months late to come up with a budget that was really quite lame & now the governor wants solutions. All Republican governors in California [and there have been many] raised taxes where necessary. The trouble with the average Republican in California is that they hate the very people they vote for yet don't offer one idea on how to deal with serious issues of cost. Republicans prefer to spend their time coming up with some super-religious idiocy instead of dealing with the real problems of infra-structure [like more highways\ repair levies in Sacramento Delta\ build more reservoirs since we always seem to be in a drought.

Please quit griping & come up with some solutions for a change!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:22 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I think it is unfair to blame Schwarzenegger or the Democrats in the Assembly. It is not the fault of anyone that California, like the rest of the nation, is entering a very serious recession.
So who's fault was it when the state was swimming in revenue but still spending more than it took in? This isn't something that just happened in the last few months. The state has a chronic overspending problem and now that revenues look like they'll actually be going down this year instead of up (like they have been for many year) the state's in a panic and screwing the only people left to screw: the taxpayer. The idiots that vote for every bond measure that comes along area big part of the problem too. They act like its free money or something.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I think it is unfair to blame Schwarzenegger or the Democrats in the Assembly. It is not the fault of anyone that California, like the rest of the nation, is entering a very serious recession. In-fact, some economists like Greenspan say the U.S. hasn't been hit by the coming "tsunami" yet but things are going to get much worse soon!

The tax base is shrunk since the housing crisis hit & that was a huge source for state revenue. The economy is very bad & getting worse w/ people being laid-off in alarming numbers.

The state assembly/senate were 3 months late to come up with a budget that was really quite lame & now the governor wants solutions. All Republican governors in California [and there have been many] raised taxes where necessary. The trouble with the average Republican in California is that they hate the very people they vote for yet don't offer one idea on how to deal with serious issues of cost. Republicans prefer to spend their time coming up with some super-religious idiocy instead of dealing with the real problems of infra-structure [like more highways\ repair levies in Sacramento Delta\ build more reservoirs since we always seem to be in a drought.

Please quit griping & come up with some solutions for a change!
your one note has gone sour. i'm bored with you.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:06 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Quote:
your one note has gone sour. i'm bored with you.
That breaks my heart not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles